Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,957 Members 38,643 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cb radio

Tip us?

MattMcGoogan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Cb radio

Hey everyone, just a question that I've not been able to find a definite answer to.
Is it possible for an android phone to pick up and send a signal on the cb radio frequency? I know there are apps out that simulate this but you can only talk to people who have said app, I want to see if I can use my phone to talk to someone with an actual radio

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

k2trf
Old
(Last edited by k2trf; 17th February 2014 at 11:27 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2

DONATE TO ME
As a General Class Ham Radio Operator in the US, I can safely say I've yet to hear of a phone with such a radio in it. Citizen's Band, or CB, operates within the 11m band (~27MHz), and neither Cellular or WiFi radio are near there. Cellular radio is normally in the 850, 900, 1800 and/or 1900MHz bands, depending on your particular phone/carrier/location, and WiFi is in the GHz.

However, there is an application for Echolink (which you WILL require a valid Ham Radio license to operate, even for the mobile app), and using that, you could theoretically connect to a Link or Repeater client, and if they had a radio capable of CB/10m broadcast, that would work. However such a client is unlikely to be found -- most Echolink/IRLP Nodes that exist are not on HF (where CB is), they're mostly all VHF and/or UHF.
Phone: BLU Studio 5.0S D570a | Pseudo-Stock 4.1.2 | Net10 (operating on AT&T)
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5733, Intel Core i3-380M @2.53GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz | Ubuntu 14.10
NAS: Dell Optiplex GX270, Intel Pentium 4 Single Core @3GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM @667MHz | Ubuntu 14.10 | Dreams to replace with an Arduino & external HDD.

Have I helped you somehow? Please do not just reply to say thank you -- push the THANKS button!
Less unhelpful spam in my inbox that way!

MattMcGoogan
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for replying with so much info..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app