Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,523 Members 51,192 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Galaxy S III unlocked HELP

Tip us?

vreyes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default AT&T Galaxy S III unlocked HELP

Hello all,

Sorry if this was asked before but i couldnt find it in the search as its coming up with numerous returns on something else.

Anyways, I bought an AT&T s3 rooted and i was able to put it back to stock with Android 4.0.4. After i put it back to stock i got it unlocked to use on T-Mobile.

My questions are,

how do i update the software to the latest version. do i update it with AT&T software or do i use the T-Mobile software version?
If I update it again will it get locked again?
Rooting is not really an option as it is for my daughters use

thank you in advance for any replies,

V

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Default chedview tribes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreyes View Post
Hello all,

Sorry if this was asked before but i couldnt find it in the search as its coming up with numerous returns on something else.

Anyways, I bought an AT&T s3 rooted and i was able to put it back to stock with Android 4.0.4. After i put it back to stock i got it unlocked to use on T-Mobile.

My questions are,

how do i update the software to the latest version. do i update it with AT&T software or do i use the T-Mobile software version?
If I update it again will it get locked again?
Rooting is not really an option as it is for my daughters use

thank you in advance for any replies,

V
Once your phone is unlocked, it stays unlocked always even after firmware upgrades. If the phone is rooted, it means you can install custom firmware. If you want to stay on stock, however, you should stick to the AT&T versions. With a valid AT&T sim and as long as the IMEI is clean, you should be able to get OTA upgrade to the latest version (currently 4.3) via WiFi. I didn't have any problem doing this on my unlocked AT&T even with an unfunded albeit valid sim.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 372
You can't install a custom ROM just by having root. You need to have a custom recovery installed in order to install a custom ROM.

Look under About Phone to determine whether the phone is identified as an i747 or t999.

vreyes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
thanks for the replies.

I know how to root a phone but I dont want it to be rooted as its for my daughter. thanks.

@audit13 - model # shows samsung-sgh-1747, so should i update it with AT&T software even though i am going to use it on T-Mobile.

thanks

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 372
Quote:
thanks for the replies.

I know how to root a phone but I dont want it to be rooted as its for my daughter. thanks.

@audit13 - model # shows samsung-sgh-1747, so should i update it with AT&T software even though i am going to use it on T-Mobile.

thanks
Is it running stock AT&T software? If it is, you can update it but you may not get 3g data on the phone without enabling aws.

vreyes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Is it running stock AT&T software? If it is, you can update it but you may not get 3g data on the phone without enabling aws.
Yes it is stock on android 4.0.4. what is aws and what do i need to enable it? thanks

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 372
Do you have a data plan with T-Mobile? If you are not in an area with T-Mobile's 4G, you may one get Edge unless you enable the 1700 mhz band on the phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771021
The Following User Says Thank You to audit13 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vreyes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
Do you have a data plan with T-Mobile? If you are not in an area with T-Mobile's 4G, you may one get Edge unless you enable the 1700 mhz band on the phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1771021
yes i have data plan on TMO. ok thanks i will look into it.

theramsey3
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Quote:
yes i have data plan on TMO. ok thanks i will look into it.
If I recall correctly it is around page 28 or so there is a post by tmokeith that has everything you would need to enable the 1700mhz aws wcdma band. There is some risk involved so please read, read and read it again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

vreyes
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
ok thanks for all the replies