Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 48,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I flash a kernel onto my n7 with the stock ROM I am rooted with cwm recovery

Tip us?
 
xda23
Old
#1  
xda23's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 1,092
Join Date: Sep 2013
Default Can I flash a kernel onto my n7 with the stock ROM I am rooted with cwm recovery

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
 
mdamaged
Old
#2  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 872
Posts: 1,388
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South of Heaven

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23 View Post
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Sure, as long as it's a proper kernel for your device.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Following User Says Thank You to mdamaged For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Bobbi lim
Old
#3  
Bobbi lim's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 413
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
Sure, as long as it's a proper kernel for your device.
Oh wow! Its possible?! You're kidding me or it's real?!
Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L
 
mdamaged
Old
#4  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 872
Posts: 1,388
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South of Heaven

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi lim View Post
Oh wow! Its possible?! You're kidding me or it's real?!
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not....but yeah, it's possible and I'm not kidding.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bobbi lim
Old
#5  
Bobbi lim's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 413
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not....but yeah, it's possible and I'm not kidding.
There's no sarcasm intended so please don't misunderstand but I'm just surprise that a custom kernel can work on stock. That's all
Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L
 
mdamaged
Old
#6  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 872
Posts: 1,388
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South of Heaven

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi lim View Post
There's no sarcasm intended so please don't misunderstand but I'm just surprise that a custom kernel can work on stock. That's all
Oh , sorry about that then, sometimes it's hard to tell.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Whiplashh
Old
#7  
Whiplashh's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1458
Posts: 2,753
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
Oh , sorry about that then, sometimes it's hard to tell.
I think he was honestly shocked bud. This is my first nexus and I didn't know the kernels worked on stock. I am use to Samsung/LG phones where the kernel has to be made specific for stock (Samsung/LG stock) or AOSP. That is pretty cool dude! Nice to know. :sly::thumbup:

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Need Help? Private Message me! Don't forget to hit that thanks button if I helped!
-
Devices: Evo Shift 4G (Dead) - Evo 4g (OG) - Sprint LG Optimus S - Sprint Galaxy S3 - Sprint Optimus G (LGOG) - Google Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: All running Stock or some form of Cyanogenmod. (CM7, 10, or 11). Except the Galaxy S3, it has some Wicked Sensations.
Current Devices: Sprint Optimus G, Google Nexus 7
 
mdamaged
Old
#8  
mdamaged's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 872
Posts: 1,388
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South of Heaven

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashh View Post
I think he was honestly shocked bud. This is my first nexus and I didn't know the kernels worked on stock. I am use to Samsung/LG phones where the kernel has to be made specific for stock (Samsung/LG stock) or AOSP. That is pretty cool dude! Nice to know. :sly::thumbup:

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Fair enough.

Oh, and the other thing to look out for, some kernels are meant for CAF ROMs (like CM11), (the N7 stock ROM is non-caf), so make sure it's a non-caf kernel as well as one for your device if you plan to flash to a stock ROM. Kernel developers that make both usually make it obvious which is which.
Kenneth, what is the frequency? Set a fire for a man, and he will stay warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will stay warm for the rest of his life.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bobbi lim
Old
#9  
Bobbi lim's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 39
Posts: 413
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdamaged View Post
Fair enough.

Oh, and the other thing to look out for, some kernels are meant for CAF ROMs (like CM11), (the N7 stock ROM is non-caf), so make sure it's a non-caf kernel as well as one for your device if you plan to flash to a stock ROM. Kernel developers that make both usually make it obvious which is which.
I come from HTC phones whereby a custom kernel has to be "paired" with at least a custom rom so never know that its actually possible fior a custom kernel on stock
Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...