Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Decent CPU Temp (Heavy Load) For Nexus 7 2013 with Root & Stock 4.4

OP Applicare Studios

4th January 2014, 11:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 546
 
441 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Hello everyone! I am very, very happy because i bought a Nexus 7 2013 a week ago. That same night I got home from the shop I knew it was getting root permissions. So i did the rooting method with WugFreshes toolkit and it worked like a dream I must admit. TWRP and Superuser installed in a flash.

After root permissions the fun started - Custom Rom's, Mods, Tweaks you name it. I am currently using Stock Kitkat 4.4 ROM with many tweaks:

PureGraphic HD
PurePeformances
AwesomeBeats
PureAudio

I have the Franco Kernel and it's great. I have had no issues what so ever so far. It's smooth, fast and responsive. Games run extraordinary fast, I can amp up the graphics without to much frame drops, this includes games like GTA SA, GTA VC, Modern Combat 4 and N64/PS1 Emulators (and yes i own the roms ). Back to the Kernel. All Wireless adapters are working (bluetooth, wifi, nfc etc), and wifi seems faster. Battery doesn't drain very fast at all, even with intensive load. But here is where my question actually is ...

I do understand that this question has been answered somewhere else in the Nexus 7 2013 forum, however can someone tell me my question in more detail? Thanks.

Q. My question is, between what cpu temperatures is safe for my nexus 7 2013 to play intensive games at (etc emualtors, gta series, MC4)? What temperatures should i be alerted at. I am currently running GTA Sandreas and emulators at around 50-65 Degrese celcius (yes that's right celcius us auzzies use the metric system . )

Also if i overclocked it to 1.7GHZ then what would a stable temp be while idling and heavy load? (thanks!)

(last minute edit... Also what CPU is really used in this? People say it's an undercloked s4 pro or something? So if overcloked back to 1.7GHZ it'll be fine? Right?...)

Other information consist of:

.All the mods i said i have, stated earlier
.Franco Kernal
.Wireless devices faster tweaks
.Use 4x MSSA
.Warn at 65 Degrees Celcius
.Other small mods i can not think of...
.Stock GPU & CPU clock speeds

If anyone can ask my question A.S.A.P it would be greatly appreciated, i am currently new to XDA but not the the Android OS. And to all of you whom think Android is a terrible OS go get one of the most biggest fails since Apple Newton the iPad.

P.S The XDA forums is great, and everyone on here deserves a good old beer. If this thread violates any T&C please go right ahead and delete it. Thanks so much,

" Be nice to nerds, because chances are you will probably work for one someday" - Bill Gates.

My devices and devices i have had:

.Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
.Galaxy S2 I900T White
.Galaxy S2 I900T Black
.Sony Xperia Z
.Pendo Pad 7
.Softwner Tablet 7"
.Huawei Acend y201
.Galaxy Nexus
.Nexus 7 2013
Last edited by Applicare Studios; 4th January 2014 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Heard about the CPU debate
11th January 2014, 03:05 AM   |  #2  
CheyTac-12's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Medellín
Thanks Meter: 16
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
How come nobody has said nothing to this question?

Btw, my cpu hit 91º C this morning while I was playing nova 3 and I was using an overlay to see my gpu frequencies and usage. I think is too much.
11th January 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #3  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 172
 
439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyTac-12

How come nobody has said nothing to this question?

Btw, my cpu hit 91º C this morning while I was playing nova 3 and I was using an overlay to see my gpu frequencies and usage. I think is too much.

I personally wouldn't worry about cpu temp that much. All the developers of custom kernels will set the thermal limits to whatever they think is appropriate. A much bigger concern than the cpu temp is heat being conducted to the battery. I would make a point of keeping the battery below 120F and I personally don't want to see over 110F (around 45C).
11th January 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #4  
CheyTac-12's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Medellín
Thanks Meter: 16
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

I personally wouldn't worry about cpu temp that much. All the developers of custom kernels will set the thermal limits to whatever they think is appropriate. A much bigger concern than the cpu temp is heat being conducted to the battery. I would make a point of keeping the battery below 120F and I personally don't want to see over 110F (around 45C).

The overlay thing I was talking about earlier was the cause for that cpu temp, it used like 2 entire cores to function, without it, temps are more stable, can you believe that the tablet actually kinda burned my fingers if I pressed too hard? That's insane.

Now, I understand that the battery's temperature is something important, so you don't ruin your battery lifespan, but how come cpu temps don't matter as much as battery's does? What's the max temp for these devices?
The Following User Says Thank You to CheyTac-12 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2014, 08:06 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 172
 
439 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyTac-12

The overlay thing I was talking about earlier was the cause for that cpu temp, it used like 2 entire cores to function, without it, temps are more stable, can you believe that the tablet actually kinda burned my fingers if I pressed too hard? That's insane.

Now, I understand that the battery's temperature is something important, so you don't ruin your battery lifespan, but how come cpu temps don't matter as much as battery's does? What's the max temp for these devices?

I'm going to "guess" and say somewhere around 100C for the cpu. Just a guess. 60C for the battery would absolutely be bad news. 50C would make me nervous. Also the cpu will start to get throttled (underclocked) once it gets up to a certain temp, And once it reaches the max temp the cpu will get shut down and you will have to wait for it to cool down before it will boot back up. I would worry about the heat affecting the motherboard and the components on that before I would worry about heat damaging the cpu.
Last edited by wantabe; 11th January 2014 at 08:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to wantabe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th January 2014, 08:34 PM   |  #6  
username4this's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 116
 
338 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAuzzi3L3g3ndx

Hello everyone! I am very, very happy because i bought a Nexus 7 2013 a week ago. That same night I got home from the shop I knew it was getting root permissions. So i did the rooting method with WugFreshes toolkit and it worked like a dream I must admit. TWRP and Superuser installed in a flash.

After root permissions the fun started - Custom Rom's, Mods, Tweaks you name it. I am currently using Stock Kitkat 4.4 ROM with many tweaks:

PureGraphic HD
PurePeformances
AwesomeBeats
PureAudio

I have the Franco Kernel and it's great. I have had no issues what so ever so far. It's smooth, fast and responsive. Games run extraordinary fast, I can amp up the graphics without to much frame drops, this includes games like GTA SA, GTA VC, Modern Combat 4 and N64/PS1 Emulators (and yes i own the roms ). Back to the Kernel. All Wireless adapters are working (bluetooth, wifi, nfc etc), and wifi seems faster. Battery doesn't drain very fast at all, even with intensive load. But here is where my question actually is ...

I do understand that this question has been answered somewhere else in the Nexus 7 2013 forum, however can someone tell me my question in more detail? Thanks.

Q. My question is, between what cpu temperatures is safe for my nexus 7 2013 to play intensive games at (etc emualtors, gta series, MC4)? What temperatures should i be alerted at. I am currently running GTA Sandreas and emulators at around 50-65 Degrese celcius (yes that's right celcius us auzzies use the metric system . )

Also if i overclocked it to 1.7GHZ then what would a stable temp be while idling and heavy load? (thanks!)

(last minute edit... Also what CPU is really used in this? People say it's an undercloked s4 pro or something? So if overcloked back to 1.7GHZ it'll be fine? Right?...)

Other information consist of:

.All the mods i said i have, stated earlier
.Franco Kernal
.Wireless devices faster tweaks
.Use 4x MSSA
.Warn at 65 Degrees Celcius
.Other small mods i can not think of...
.Stock GPU & CPU clock speeds

If anyone can ask my question A.S.A.P it would be greatly appreciated, i am currently new to XDA but not the the Android OS. And to all of you whom think Android is a terrible OS go get one of the most biggest fails since Apple Newton the iPad.

P.S The XDA forums is great, and everyone on here deserves a good old beer. If this thread violates any T&C please go right ahead and delete it. Thanks so much,

" Be nice to nerds, because chances are you will probably work for one someday" - Bill Gates.

My devices and devices i have had:

.Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830
.Galaxy S2 I900T White
.Galaxy S2 I900T Black
.Sony Xperia Z
.Pendo Pad 7
.Softwner Tablet 7"
.Huawei Acend y201
.Galaxy Nexus
.Nexus 7 2013

Theorically speaking, the safe working temperatures would be the where the thermal limit is which is around 105ºC.

However, it doesn't work like this because heat spreads to other components and more importantly, it spreads to the battery and we all know batteries don't like hot temperatures since it drastically reduces their life span and charge capability.

On practice, I would say keeping your CPU below 70ºC which will result in a colder battery aswell is the sweet spot.

On the Overclock matter, I have mine at 1900'ish Mhz and my GPU is at 490'ish Mhz and I haven't experienced any abnormal temperatures while runing benchmarks. Infact, the temps were kept below 50ºC which is more than fine.
11th January 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #7  
CheyTac-12's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Medellín
Thanks Meter: 16
 
181 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe

I'm going to "guess" and say somewhere around 100C for the cpu. Just a guess. 60C for the battery would absolutely be bad news. 50C would make me nervous. Also the cpu will start to get throttled (underclocked) once it gets up to a certain temp, And once it reaches the max temp the cpu will get shut down and you will have to wait for it to cool down before it will boot back up. I would worry about the heat affecting the motherboard and the components on that before I would worry about heat damaging the cpu.

I think the battery burns like hell when you're playing and charging it at the same time, am I right? I wonder, if the cpu and gpu are underload, the battery will drain quickly, does this mean that this produces more heat to the battery? How does that work.
16th February 2014, 07:04 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 546
 
441 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyTac-12

The overlay thing I was talking about earlier was the cause for that cpu temp, it used like 2 entire cores to function, without it, temps are more stable, can you believe that the tablet actually kinda burned my fingers if I pressed too hard? That's insane.

Now, I understand that the battery's temperature is something important, so you don't ruin your battery lifespan, but how come cpu temps don't matter as much as battery's does? What's the max temp for these devices?

Thanks m8. I don't have to worrie about it anymore... The Nexus came to a screen smashing end...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes