5,597,937 Members 39,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT\RECOVERY\ROMS][NX008HD8G] Nextboot 8" Resources

Tip us?

CedArctic
Old
(Last edited by CedArctic; 16th February 2014 at 02:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1358
Tablet [ROOT\RECOVERY\ROMS][NX008HD8G] Nextboot 8" Resources

WARNING: These files are reported as not working on Next8HD8G tablets manufactured after August 2013. Check your serial number. If it begins YFG1013... YFG1113... or higher, do not use these files. You may try to root using Cydia Impactor instead. If you do root one of the newer tablets, please dump the ROM for the rest of us!

Nextbook 8"

The Nextbook 8 is an afordable 99USD tablet from walmart. Widelly adapted but not with any serious unofficial development going on. I purchased one for a friend and couldn't resist to tweak it. I tried to find some ROMs to no avail. Also rooting was a long journey. So I decided to create this resource thread to help out people to this device and even present my own ROM. So without further to do I begin :

Rooting & Recovery the Easy way

Rooting was my first concern so I could de-bloat the tablet itself since it came with various unused software. The most efficient method I came across was the one presented by shaunmt at the freaktab forums here. So let me show you how it's done.

1. Download the modified stock recovery from shaunmt
2. Extract the archive and place the image in the root of your external SD card! NOT THE INTERNAL ONE!
3. Download and copy the root package by Kyser to your external SD card!
4. Power off the tablet and then hold down both volume keys while holding the power button. The tablet should show the first splash screen and then a black one followed by the recovery screen.
5. Use the Volume keys to navigate in the menu and the power button to confirm your selection. Select flash from EXT (or something like that), then select your SD card and then select the root package to install. The root package will be installed. Navigate back to the root mneu and select "reboot system"
6. Rooting should have finished and your tablet once powered on should be permanently rooted. But in the case that you don't see a root management application go to the Play Store and download either SuperSU or Super User.
7. Finished!

ROMs

1. Stock ROM - Packed by shaunmt at freaktab - here
2. nextGen 8" - By CedArctic - Comming soon

Always perform a full wipe when installing ROMs. Neither of these ROMs has been personally tested by me. Shaunmt from freaktab owns all the work on the thread (except my ROM).
Please consider making a donation if you love my work! Thank you!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CedArctic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CedArctic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1358
Reserved for future needs

The Following User Says Thank You to CedArctic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shaunmt
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Keep an eye on my threads at FreakTab... there is lots more coming soon...

ShaunMT
Developer at FreakTab.com
Rom Dev @ FreakTab.com
Amlogic Tablets
Next8P12
Next8HD8G
Next7P12-8G
Next7P12-GP
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunmt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

smallyetzon
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Default help

i did every step and installation was aborted... any tips?

CedArctic
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1358
You don't have the custom recovery file in your EXTERNAL sd card. The stock recovery aborts the installation due to not recognising the google installation keys.

Tags
next8hd8g, nextbook 8, recovery, rom, root