[ROM] [STOCK] [NAE] [4.4.2] Stock Rooted NAE Rom - Yes it boots

Bootloader combo

• Total voters
Search This thread

Unknownforce

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2008
Download here -> Link

Thanks to @optimummind, it looks like we have a working method now.

Happy news to report~!! Everything works~!! :D

First of all, I give 100% credit to @jt1975 for PM'ing me with instructions for what he did to make the NAE ROM and NAE baseband work on the MF9 Knox-free bootloader with everything working - Wifi, cell service, and data. :D

Before I undertook the steps he provided, my phone setup was as such:

-Stock, Rooted MK2
-Stock MK2 kernel
-MK2 baseband
-MF9 Knox-free bootloader
-Latest Philz recovery

Now, here is what I did:

1. Downloaded ROM Manager from the Play Store & installed CWM v6.0.4.4 (not the Touch version).
2. Flashed Unknownforce's NAE modem/baseband using Odin v3.07. I shut down the phone completely & booted into Download Mode by holding down Power & Vol Down.

-Unchecked "Auto Reboot" & "F. Reset Time.)
-Once it said "Passed," held down the Power Button for 10 seconds until the phone rebooted automatically.
-Upon reboot, verified that the baseband flash was successful by going into Settings.
-In Settings, it said NAE for "Software version" and "Baseband version."
-At this point, I had no Wifi (couldn't even turn it on) but did have cell service and data.

3. Rebooted phone into CWM v6.0.4.4 recovery by shutting down the phone completely first then turning it
back on by pressing Power Button + Vol Up.

Inside CWM v6.0.4.4, I performed:
-"Wipe data/factory reset."
-"Wipe cache partition"
-"advanced" -> "Wipe Dalvik cache"
-"mounts & storage" -> "format /cache"
-"mounts & storage" -> "format /system"
-"mounts & storage" -> "format /data"
-"Wipe data/factory reset"
-"Wipe cache partition"
-"Wipe Dalvik cache"

-Flashed Unknownforce's version 2 NAE ROM

4. Rebooted phone.

From the get-go, everything began working - the cell service bars were active, 4G LTE turned on, and later, I was able to sign into my home network.

Now, some pictures... :D

Once again, mad props to @jt1975 for helping me & others~!! :laugh: :good: :D

Last edited:

mboord

Feb 4, 2012
downloading now along with modem from other link. may not get to this till later. Also i'm still on MDL build number with MF9 baseband. let you all know how it goes.

mingolianbeef

Apr 14, 2011
Installed latest NAE modem, then flashed this, boots fine, wifi/LTE fully functional. Be forewarned everyone (and this is not a shot at uknownforce, just a general heads up), because bloat is still in it, the Sprint ID will install quite a few apps upon boot and set up, so if you only have... say... 1GB of data, either skip setup or make sure you're connected to wifi. Thanks uknownforce! remember your work from the 3vo days (I was ognimnella back then, changed my name) and glad to be running your stuff again with my s4 :)

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Not sure why everyone is having problems with making these ROMs.

I am very curious too, since I was having problems. Probably just a duh on my part. I'll take a close look at what you've done to see where my mistakes were.

Downloading now, assuming it boots, I'll deknox and deodex it shortly.

Thanks very much for this !!!

EDIT: I've been using your work for various things for quite a while, thanks given and $10 thrown your way. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shardog

leaderbuilder

For those looking to remove knox applications and configs you can look here. [the knox apps/configs are all over the place.]
Open @Kaito95 s script (please hit his thanks button if you find his information useful!) and you will see where the knox stuff is and you can remove it manually or just use his script (with any edits you want) and do it all.

Gabewithkungfugrip

Feb 11, 2010
Thanks for this, Unknownforce. Got me back up and running after I screwed myself trying to revert back to a custom rom post NAE ota. Would you happen to be working on, or do you know if anyone else is working on, the all-inclusive stock NAE firmware with bootloader?

Btw, beers on me for your hard work. Cheers.

Reactions: Dav0

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
Not sure why everyone is having problems with making these ROMs. But anyway, here's the stock NAE Rom, only thing added is SuperSU/Root.

Yes, it boots
No patch, just rom install
Yes, it's the stock kernel
Yes, everything works
No, it's not de-knoxed
Yes, it's odex
No, it doesn't wipe data, although I would recommend you do that if you're coming from a non-4.4.2 ROM
Yes, you need the latest modem installed
No, you don't need the latest bootloader (Although I've only tested it on MJA, which is KNOX flagged)
No, it doesn't matter what recovery you're on

Download here -> Link

Halleluja~! LOL~ You da man, Unknownforce~! :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

socos25

Nov 8, 2010
Earth
This is working very well, other than the bloat I like it. Very smooth. Interesting to see what kind of battery I get.

chris-allen

Jun 22, 2012
If its rooted, can we not use a " root uninataller " from the play store?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Unknownforce

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 18, 2008
Wow, you guys really like to fund my drinking habits. Haha, thanks!

As to knox bootloader, no it's not included.

For the full Odin Firmware package, I suppose I could work up something like that, but SamMobile will likely have the official one in less than a week. My efforts and time are better spent on adapting mods to Samsung's disaster of surprisingly functional code.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download here -> Link

Thanks to @optimummind, it looks like we have a working method now.

Happy news to report~!! Everything works~!! :D

First of all, I give 100% credit to @jt1975 for PM'ing me with instructions for what he did to make the NAE ROM and NAE baseband work on the MF9 Knox-free bootloader with everything working - Wifi, cell service, and data. :D

Before I undertook the steps he provided, my phone setup was as such:

-Stock, Rooted MK2
    -Stock MK2 kernel
    -MK2 baseband
    -MF9 Knox-free bootloader
    -Latest Philz recovery

Now, here is what I did:

1. Downloaded ROM Manager from the Play Store & installed CWM v6.0.4.4 (not the Touch version).
    2. Flashed Unknownforce's NAE modem/baseband using Odin v3.07. I shut down the phone completely & booted into Download Mode by holding down Power & Vol Down.

-Unchecked "Auto Reboot" & "F. Reset Time.)
    -Once it said "Passed," held down the Power Button for 10 seconds until the phone rebooted automatically.
    -Upon reboot, verified that the baseband flash was successful by going into Settings.
    -In Settings, it said NAE for "Software version" and "Baseband version."
    -At this point, I had no Wifi (couldn't even turn it on) but did have cell service and data.

3. Rebooted phone into CWM v6.0.4.4 recovery by shutting down the phone completely first then turning it
    back on by pressing Power Button + Vol Up.

Inside CWM v6.0.4.4, I performed:
    -"Wipe data/factory reset."
    -"Wipe cache partition"
    -"advanced" -> "Wipe Dalvik cache"
    -"mounts & storage" -> "format /cache"
    -"mounts & storage" -> "format /system"
    -"mounts & storage" -> "format /data"
    -"Wipe data/factory reset"
    -"Wipe cache partition"
    -"Wipe Dalvik cache"

-Flashed Unknownforce's version 2 NAE ROM

4. Rebooted phone.

From the get-go, everything began working - the cell service bars were active, 4G LTE turned on, and later, I was able to sign into my home network.

Now, some pictures... :D

Once again, mad props to @jt1975 for helping me & others~!! :laugh: :good: :D
    Are u able backup anything? Think the ad card permissions are jacking with stuff. It let me delete stuff with root explorer but tb seem to be having a issue

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If you're having problems writing to the sdcard, there is a fix:

Using root explorer or equivalent, navigate to /system/etc/permissions and look for a file named "platform.xml".

Open it with a text editor.

Look for the android.permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE as shown below and add the line I marked with "<---Add this line."

Code:
     <permission name="android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
          <group gid="sdcard_r" /> 
     </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
          <group gid="sdcard_r" />
          <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
          <group gid="media_rw" /> <---Add this line
     </permission>

<permission name="android.permission.ACCESS_ALL_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
          <group gid="sdcard_r" />
          <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
          <group gid="sdcard_all" />
     </permission>
    Reboot and you should have full write access to the sdcard.
    I guess this is what happens when we there are no more real devs working on our phone. No instructions, no support and no trouble shooting. Just push roms out with no work done to it.

I'd be happy to see your dev work. How's that going for you? Got all your mods updated too?

Take your negativity elsewhere, no-one cares.

Everyone please simply ignore this, don't reply and feed the trolls. Thanks.
    There are no devs working on NAE. You would be the only person so far. The problem I am talking about is no one is providing support. You got all butt hurt over nothing. It wasn't directed at you directly, just at the devs in general. But yes you are included. You posted in the OP that you don't know why people can't put up a working rom. But you didn't either. hence why someone else got it working.

Don't get butt hurt cause someone called you out for being in the wrong. I don't have to have dev work in order to speak. That would not be how the real world works bud.

1. If no one else has posted a NAE rom that doesn't mean no one is working on it. 1.3G rom takes a lot of time to make, pack, copy to sd card, flash and test.
    2. If you would of done some actual dev work you would of know what it takes to make at least 80-90% working rom.
    3. More people have access to rom more problems/bugs can be handled in less time thus posting a rom/development that has booted or worked on at least one phone is quite OK.
    4. As a long time samsung user I can say with a high level of certainty that are no 2 sammies phones created same. A rom/kernel can work on 100's of them while not working on another 100's.
    5. OP said it boots and don't recall him saying that this is a 100% working rom. Not even samsung was ever able to release an OS bug free. Same goes to Microsoft and Apple. Thus never expect a 100%.....
    6. As my experience with this particular rom shows the problem was on my end and not the developers. So not every problem and/or bug can be development related there are a lot of user errors as well since we are not pros but rather do all this for fun and as a hobby.
    7. And yes. Before calling out a dev for uncoplete/buggy work you have to do some on your own to know what are you talking about and to know what it takes to develop a fully working (at least to the most part) rom/them/mod/kernel etc...
    You may agree or disagree with all of the above but at least I'm positive that I know what I'm talking about and I'm talking from experience which many here and in another threads can confirm...
    Just my 2 cents..
    I believe I've figured out the problem with the Lock Screen Options. I'll be asking for a few Testers in the morning probably around 9 AM Central Time. For now, I'm tired of flashing 500 times an hour trying to figure it out, so I'm going to bed.

Don't ask to test yet, since you don't even know what's entailed, also I need very specific test beds, so you don't even know if you fit the criteria or not.

Also, don't message me please. If your message in my inbox is related to this test, it'll just be deleted. I know you're all anxious to have it fixed, trust me, noone wants this fixed more than I do. But, just be patient, one more day without lock screen options won't kill you.

More details on what exactly I'll need in the morning.

If you want to be "first in line" so-to-speak, the best estimate I can give you is about 9AM tomorrow, but that depends on how busy it is at work tomorrow morning.

For now, I've been working on this issue on nearly all of my free time for almost a week now, my brain needs rest.

Cheers.