XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help ROOT new firmware

Tip us?

ianneo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Help ROOT new firmware

Hi I want to install a custom rom on my mega since Touchwiz isn't that great. The last time I tried to root, I hard bricked. I'm too scared to try again so can any one tell me if I'm OK to root or shall I wait for new root kernel or something like that. I've done this kind of stuff on my old S2 and my Nexus 7 but I'm new to the way to Mega works, so can anyone tell me a link or tell me it's OK to root with my recently updated firmware. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Tapatalk
Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-i9200 - Stock
Nexus 7 2012 32gb WiFi- PSX ROM

starmaster10
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianneo View Post
Hi I want to install a custom rom on my mega since Touchwiz isn't that great. The last time I tried to root, I hard bricked. I'm too scared to try again so can any one tell me if I'm OK to root or shall I wait for new root kernel or something like that. I've done this kind of stuff on my old S2 and my Nexus 7 but I'm new to the way to Mega works, so can anyone tell me a link or tell me it's OK to root with my recently updated firmware. Thanks

Did you ever try Kingo Android Root as you install it on your pc and just follow the info in the program, it is easy to use and works very well on rooting many different models of Samsung phones.

Silesh.Nair
Old
(Last edited by Silesh.Nair; 14th February 2014 at 03:53 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2084

DONATE TO ME
You can't. You are running knox enabled firmware. You try to flash custom recovery, you'll brick again afaik.

Try this if you are bold.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2574953

Sources : here
Downloads : MEGA 6.3 [ Mediafire : here | Mega : here ] || LENOVO k860/i [ Mediafire : here ]
Threads : CM11 / PA / AOKP / SLIMKAT / BEANSTALK-MOKEE-GUMMY-CARBON
GApps : BaNkS / CM11 / Slimkat
Videos : CM11 | SLIMKAT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silesh.Nair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

starmaster10
Old
(Last edited by starmaster10; 14th February 2014 at 04:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 155
Oh okay do not root then as i didn't notice that the knox security is present, but i see now it is..sorry about that and thanks @Silesh.Nair for noticing that.

pikwan80
Old
(Last edited by pikwan80; 14th February 2014 at 04:26 PM.) Reason: regret
Thanks Meter 7
@Silesh.Nair

I hate this new firmware GT I9200 XXUCNA5 XSE ( Indonesian ), any idea how to downgrade??? I still could use CWM to format/system and when finished flash XXUBMJ4 XSE and Secure FAIL : Kernel show up, then I flash again XXUCNA5 and back to normal again, and I flash CWM 6.0.3.2 and super su 1.93 and not busybox included, my factory app MAPS and YOUTUBE stop working and everytime I restart my I9200 at first on must wait until MAPS and YOUTUBE pop up UNFORTUNATELY ... HAS STOP WORKING, then I could use my device. This Real annoying, even I have disabled those things at application manager, my mind always being a terror that there were 2 app couldn't be used, just affraid I need them in the future.

Any Idea Silesh.Nair???
What's your reccomendation for CWM and Super SU???
I don't want to use CWM 6.0.4.7 coz a terrible interface and function, Now I still use CWM 6.0.3.2
I Really Regret for upgrading to XXUCNA5, if there's a way to rollback to XXUBMJ4, I will do it.

Thank You So Much Silesh.Nair

Silesh.Nair
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2084

DONATE TO ME
I don't think you can go back to any older firmware, not even a nandroid backup. Sorry man, I think you are stuck with it.

I am not an expert on knox, so I'll keep looking if there is a way out. I used the stock firmware only for 5 minutes after I got my phone. Its been custom roms all along.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

For your maps and YouTube issue, Valentel asks you to remove them from the system folder and then download from playstore.

Sent from my GT-I9205 using Tapatalk

Sources : here
Downloads : MEGA 6.3 [ Mediafire : here | Mega : here ] || LENOVO k860/i [ Mediafire : here ]
Threads : CM11 / PA / AOKP / SLIMKAT / BEANSTALK-MOKEE-GUMMY-CARBON
GApps : BaNkS / CM11 / Slimkat
Videos : CM11 | SLIMKAT
The Following User Says Thank You to Silesh.Nair For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

trurl3
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silesh.Nair View Post
I don't think you can go back to any older firmware, not even a nandroid backup. Sorry man, I think you are stuck with it.

I am not an expert on knox, so I'll keep looking if there is a way out. I used the stock firmware only for 5 minutes after I got my phone. Its been custom roms all along.[COLOR="Silver"]
As for now there is NO WAY to go back when one upgrade to KNOX-ed firmware. This is hardware driven thing, so forget... and enjoy your new shiny firmware with KNOX on behind... It's really pitty so that many people do not read nothing about theirs expensive phones before trying something unrecoverable, sometimes the very second day after purchasing... I will always try to help, but in this case there is nothing to do.
Samsung Galaxy Mega GT-I9205

Be smart, keep your files one click away @Dropbox. Sign up for free!
Wakelocks got you down? Click here for solution.
If I helped - plese hit

ianneo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trurl3 View Post
As for now there is NO WAY to go back when one upgrade to KNOX-ed firmware. This is hardware driven thing, so forget... and enjoy your new shiny firmware with KNOX on behind... It's really pitty so that many people do not read nothing about theirs expensive phones before trying something unrecoverable, sometimes the very second day after purchasing... I will always try to help, but in this case there is nothing to do.
Well, we're just going to have to wait for Kit Kat. Hurry up Samsung!

Galaxy Mega 6.3 GT-i9200 - Stock
Nexus 7 2012 32gb WiFi- PSX ROM