5,606,588 Members 34,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tronsmart TS7 (aka Glacier TS7) installs random apps without permission

Tip us?

CyberGenesys
Old
(Last edited by CyberGenesys; 28th December 2013 at 11:06 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Tronsmart TS7 (aka Glacier TS7) installs random apps without permission

I have a (4GB) Tronsmart TS7 (some times known as a Alps Glacier TS7). It's a Chinese MTK6589 based phone running Android 4.2 purchased from geekbuying.

For the most part the device is stock, there are next to no pre-installed apps apart from the usual, and the only additional apps I have installed are: Playstation, Steam, ColorNote, Shuttle+, Root Explorer DI Radio, Chrome & Gmail

The problem I have is that there are apps appearing on the device that I am not installing. So far it has been the same set of apps that appear:
  • Mobo Market
  • UC Browser
  • TrustGo Security
  • DU Battery Saver
  • 337 Game Master
  • GameCenter
(there may be more)

These apps don't start appearing right after a factory reset, but start to arrive 1-2weeks later. They also seem to be packaged similarly; when I say packaged I mean opening them seems to prompt with the same menu & style (accept licence etc) before it gets to the main app. Also, after you open the app from the app drawer it then creates an icon on the desktop. Maybe opening it actually does the installing?

The apps themselves seem to be legit.

I have factory reset the device (twice), and changed my Google password but they are still appearing. They don't show up in my Play store history so they must be coming from elsewhere.

My main concern is that if it is downloading things without my permission, what might it be uploading ? Not to mention wasting my 3g data etc.

So I have a few questions:
  • Should I be (really) worried?
  • Is there a way to monitor this? eg connect to a wifi hotspot and packet capture the network traffic? or maybe use a process monitor (the ones I've tried so far haven't shown anything) to see if there is some sort of script in the background?
  • Can it be stopped?

Thanks in advance, I would be interested to know if anyone else has/had this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-14-17-14-26.png
Views:	410
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	2455642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-14-17-13-34.png
Views:	394
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2455643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-13-07-08-20.png
Views:	373
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	2455644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-13-07-00-26.png
Views:	330
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2455645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-13-07-08-26.png
Views:	271
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2455646  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-13-07-08-35.png
Views:	307
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2455647  

IgyBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem.

I haven't tried flashing some other ROM yet, but I guess that is the only way to get it to stop installing those things.

CyberGenesys
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Have you actually found any other roms to install?

CyberGenesys
Old
(Last edited by CyberGenesys; 3rd January 2014 at 12:07 PM.) Reason: adendum
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
For anybody's information:

You may have noticed how you always end up with a 'Tronsmart.mp4' video file appearing in your gallery app. This is damn annoying since it appears twice, once on the internal and once on the external SD card. There is an '\system\app\CopyTest.apk' file which creates both of these. Should be safe to delete it and thus prevent the file(s) appearing

I have actually decompiled this apk. It works as a service that runs when MEDIA_UNMOUNTED or MEDIA_MOUNTED is invoked, and does absolutely nothing else.

mariosm1cy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem, those random apps installing and the video always in my gallery. I have managed to stop tge apps by using a firewall and allowing only my apps that i want to use the internet. I havent found a solution though to fix the problem. Probably tronsmart is spamming its customers...
HTC Desire

CyberGenesys
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosm1cy View Post
I have managed to stop tge apps by using a firewall and allowing only my apps that i want to use the internet.
What Firewall did you use? I might be able to use something like that to pinpoint the app that's causing this.

mariosm1cy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sory for the late reply. I am usin "android firewall" free from google play store.
HTC Desire