Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,083 Members 50,177 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New 3.xx Kernels

Tip us?

chris5s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Default New 3.xx Kernels

Hi folks

Can someone explain the differences between the new 3.xx kernels being developed atm?
There are roms with 3.0 and 3.4 kernels and I am curious as to the differences between them.

Cheers
Lumia 820 - stock
HP Touchpad 16/32GB - webOS/Android…

charleypick
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5s View Post
Hi folks

Can someone explain the differences between the new 3.xx kernels being developed atm?
There are roms with 3.0 and 3.4 kernels and I am curious as to the differences between them.

Cheers
Early builds of CM11 for Touchpad were able to be built on the 2.x kernels. KitKat however is designed to run on a 3.4 kernel. For Cyanogenomod 11 to be officially released for touchpad, it will require the 3.4 kernel and Bluetooth and Wifi drivers working. Two new features I know of supported by the newer kernel are multiuser support and the new ART java runtime compiler.

C

chris5s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Thanks for the reply. I was meaning the difference between 3.0 (milaq) and 3.4 (flintman/invisiblek) kernels, not with the earlier 2.x

Peace
Lumia 820 - stock

heavyt
Old
Thanks Meter 4
From experience the 3.0 has a lower drain on my battery than the 3.4. Also the WiFi will disconnect when my touchpad sleeps with the 3.4 kernel and you will not be able to change the CPU fq. All of these things in due time will be corrected, I hope.

heavyt
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Flintman's latest 3.4 kernel nightly 0210 seems to have fixed the WiFi problem. I been using it for a day now and have not had any drops in connection while in sleep mode.
The Following User Says Thank You to heavyt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chris5s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 117
Yep, I noticed these behaviours too, have stuck with milaq's so far because of this.
May be time to give flintman's rom another whirl!

Cheers

Sent from my TouchPad using XDA Premium HD app
Lumia 820 - stock
The Following User Says Thank You to chris5s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheMARTHP
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyt View Post
Flintman's latest 3.4 kernel nightly 0210 seems to have fixed the WiFi problem. I been using it for a day now and have not had any drops in connection while in sleep mode.
Second this, wifi is perfect! BT needs work, overclocking to 1.7Ghz would be nice