Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Note 3 jpg files not recognized as pictures

Tip us?

n0buddy0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Note 3 jpg files not recognized as pictures

Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Not Rooted
Model # SM-N900T
Android Ver. 4.3
Kernel Ver. 3.4.0-1670611

Preamble:
Pictures taken with the phone camera (either on onto the device or onto the SD card), that were never moved off the device are recognized by any and all media apps (such as Gallery) as pictures and, therefore show up normally in the media apps and can be manipulated there (rotating or cropping, for example).
Problem:
Recently and without anything being done, I noticed that all pictures that were uploaded from a computer onto the phone have disappeared from the media apps. That included pictures that I originally took with that phone then moved onto a computer and then moved back onto that same phone, as well as the pictures that I just moved from a computer that had no relation to the phone's camera to begin with. All of those images are of *.jpg format. The file managing apps (such as My Files) do see those files and are sending to open them with my default picture app (Gallery), which opens them but does not give me any options as to edit or anything else.
Tried to drag-n-drop in a dual window mode from My Files picture opened into a new folder into Gallery - the result was a message "file not supported".
This is just weird.
What could be causing this and how do I correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0buddy0 View Post
Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Not Rooted
Model # SM-N900T
Android Ver. 4.3
Kernel Ver. 3.4.0-1670611

Preamble:
Pictures taken with the phone camera (either on onto the device or onto the SD card), that were never moved off the device are recognized by any and all media apps (such as Gallery) as pictures and, therefore show up normally in the media apps and can be manipulated there (rotating or cropping, for example).
Problem:
Recently and without anything being done, I noticed that all pictures that were uploaded from a computer onto the phone have disappeared from the media apps. That included pictures that I originally took with that phone then moved onto a computer and then moved back onto that same phone, as well as the pictures that I just moved from a computer that had no relation to the phone's camera to begin with. All of those images are of *.jpg format. The file managing apps (such as My Files) do see those files and are sending to open them with my default picture app (Gallery), which opens them but does not give me any options as to edit or anything else.
Tried to drag-n-drop in a dual window mode from My Files picture opened into a new folder into Gallery - the result was a message "file not supported".
This is just weird.
What could be causing this and how do I correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How are you transfering pics

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
LG G3 D851 BAD ASS

n0buddy0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON View Post
How are you transfering pics
via regular USB cable. Did not use the USB 3 cable recently, but have done that as well. Makes no difference.
The key weirdness is that as long as I obtain pictures by using the phone (via camera, or online download) they are recognized just fine. It's when I upload images using a USB connection from my computer (even the pics that were taken with that same Note 3 and transferred to computer before) onto the phone is when that crap starts to manifest (or, rather, disappear).

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 842
Quote:
via regular USB cable. Did not use the USB 3 cable recently, but have done that as well. Makes no difference.
The key weirdness is that as long as I obtain pictures by using the phone (via camera, or online download) they are recognized just fine. It's when I upload images using a USB connection from my computer (even the pics that were taken with that same Note 3 and transferred to computer before) onto the phone is when that crap starts to manifest (or, rather, disappear).
Take out ur battery. Remove sd card. Wait over a min. Restart phone and try again with out sd card

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
LG G3 D851 BAD ASS

n0buddy0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON View Post
Take out ur battery. Remove sd card. Wait over a min. Restart phone and try again with out sd card
Hm. It works just fine now, after the restart and without the SD card. I uploaded the files onto the phone, and the Gallery app sees them now... Why?

BACARDILIMON
Old
Thanks Meter 842
Quote:
Hm. It works just fine now, after the restart and without the SD card. I uploaded the files onto the phone, and the Gallery app sees them now... Why?
Your sd card starting to go bad. Same issues waiting for my replacement

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
LG G3 D851 BAD ASS
The Following User Says Thank You to BACARDILIMON For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]