Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Samsung Note 3 jpg files not recognized as pictures

OP n0buddy0

17th February 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Not Rooted
Model # SM-N900T
Android Ver. 4.3
Kernel Ver. 3.4.0-1670611

Preamble:
Pictures taken with the phone camera (either on onto the device or onto the SD card), that were never moved off the device are recognized by any and all media apps (such as Gallery) as pictures and, therefore show up normally in the media apps and can be manipulated there (rotating or cropping, for example).
Problem:
Recently and without anything being done, I noticed that all pictures that were uploaded from a computer onto the phone have disappeared from the media apps. That included pictures that I originally took with that phone then moved onto a computer and then moved back onto that same phone, as well as the pictures that I just moved from a computer that had no relation to the phone's camera to begin with. All of those images are of *.jpg format. The file managing apps (such as My Files) do see those files and are sending to open them with my default picture app (Gallery), which opens them but does not give me any options as to edit or anything else.
Tried to drag-n-drop in a dual window mode from My Files picture opened into a new folder into Gallery - the result was a message "file not supported".
This is just weird.
What could be causing this and how do I correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
17th February 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #2  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY
Thanks Meter: 1,271

3,829 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0buddy0

Device: T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Not Rooted
Model # SM-N900T
Android Ver. 4.3
Kernel Ver. 3.4.0-1670611

Preamble:
Pictures taken with the phone camera (either on onto the device or onto the SD card), that were never moved off the device are recognized by any and all media apps (such as Gallery) as pictures and, therefore show up normally in the media apps and can be manipulated there (rotating or cropping, for example).
Problem:
Recently and without anything being done, I noticed that all pictures that were uploaded from a computer onto the phone have disappeared from the media apps. That included pictures that I originally took with that phone then moved onto a computer and then moved back onto that same phone, as well as the pictures that I just moved from a computer that had no relation to the phone's camera to begin with. All of those images are of *.jpg format. The file managing apps (such as My Files) do see those files and are sending to open them with my default picture app (Gallery), which opens them but does not give me any options as to edit or anything else.
Tried to drag-n-drop in a dual window mode from My Files picture opened into a new folder into Gallery - the result was a message "file not supported".
This is just weird.
What could be causing this and how do I correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How are you transfering pics

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
17th February 2014, 02:26 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON

How are you transfering pics

via regular USB cable. Did not use the USB 3 cable recently, but have done that as well. Makes no difference.
The key weirdness is that as long as I obtain pictures by using the phone (via camera, or online download) they are recognized just fine. It's when I upload images using a USB connection from my computer (even the pics that were taken with that same Note 3 and transferred to computer before) onto the phone is when that crap starts to manifest (or, rather, disappear).
17th February 2014, 02:28 AM   |  #4  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY

3,829 posts
More
Quote:

via regular USB cable. Did not use the USB 3 cable recently, but have done that as well. Makes no difference.
The key weirdness is that as long as I obtain pictures by using the phone (via camera, or online download) they are recognized just fine. It's when I upload images using a USB connection from my computer (even the pics that were taken with that same Note 3 and transferred to computer before) onto the phone is when that crap starts to manifest (or, rather, disappear).

Take out ur battery. Remove sd card. Wait over a min. Restart phone and try again with out sd card

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
17th February 2014, 02:47 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACARDILIMON

Take out ur battery. Remove sd card. Wait over a min. Restart phone and try again with out sd card

Hm. It works just fine now, after the restart and without the SD card. I uploaded the files onto the phone, and the Gallery app sees them now... Why?
17th February 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #6  
Flag MASTIC BEACH NY

3,829 posts
More
Quote:

Hm. It works just fine now, after the restart and without the SD card. I uploaded the files onto the phone, and the Gallery app sees them now... Why?

Your sd card starting to go bad. Same issues waiting for my replacement

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
The Following User Says Thank You to BACARDILIMON For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread