CMD wont Change to \Android

Search This thread

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
I just purchased the Sprint variant of the HTC One Max and decided to unlock the bootloader to root it. I followed the instructions up to the point where I have to have to run the fastboot command in CMD. The example shows the CMD changing its directory to \Android. When I try to do this, I'm given the error: "The system cannot find the path specified." I tried just doing fastboot command, but came back with "fastboot is not recognized..."

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Android SDK, Java Runtime, and HTC Sync are all installed and updated.

Thanks in advance!

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
I just purchased the Sprint variant of the HTC One Max and decided to unlock the bootloader to root it. I followed the instructions up to the point where I have to have to run the fastboot command in CMD. The example shows the CMD changing its directory to \Android. When I try to do this, I'm given the error: "The system cannot find the path specified." I tried just doing fastboot command, but came back with "fastboot is not recognized..."

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Android SDK, Java Runtime, and HTC Sync are all installed and updated.

Thanks in advance!

You need to run cmd prompt as admin and CD to wherever the platform tools folder is installed (part of the sdk)...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
You need to run cmd prompt as admin and CD to wherever the platform tools folder is installed (part of the sdk)...

Thank you for the quick reply.

This worked, but when I attempt to run the command for the fastboot I get an error saying "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer."

Was this something that was supposed to be installed from one of the Android SDK installs?

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Thank you for the quick reply.

This worked, but when I attempt to run the command for the fastboot I get an error saying "The program can't start because AdbWinApi.dll is missing from your computer."

Was this something that was supposed to be installed from one of the Android SDK installs?

Sounds like part of it didn't install correctly. Rinse and repeat. Maybe something got hosed in your earlier attempts.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
Which folder and what else was in it ?

It was in the sdk\platform-tools folder.

Does the command line have to be directed to the folder containing the fastboot application file? Inside said platform-tools folder is the fastboot file as well as the ApbWinApi.dll file.

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
OH! I think I got it! I'll report back with final details...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Lol....didn't I say platform tools the first time ? Good luck man...

Btw if you get it working you just learned one of the most important prerequisites for android modding.

Last edited:
Reactions: bb2si

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago

Btw if you get it working you just learned one of the most important prerequisites for android modding.

Yep! Unlocked the bootloader successfully! Now, I'm trying to Root and the instructions I'm following are good, but I'm stuck again - It says to run CMD and use the command "adb devices." It comes back with nothing found, yet, according to the instructions my phone's serial number should be listed. I placed the Superuser.zip file in the phone's storage (per requisite) and tried to run the command with the phone on normally and again in the bootloader.

No luck... Suggestions?

Edit: USB Debugging wasn't on... Trying again...

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Yep! Unlocked the bootloader successfully! Now, I'm trying to Root and the instructions I'm following are good, but I'm stuck again - It says to run CMD and use the command "adb devices." It comes back with nothing found, yet, according to the instructions my phone's serial number should be listed. I placed the Superuser.zip file in the phone's storage (per requisite) and tried to run the command with the phone on normally and again in the bootloader.

No luck... Suggestions?

If you are unlocked you can simply download a custom recovery for your phone into your fastboot directory and boot your phone to boot loader (fastboot) mode. Flash your recovery using your appropriate fastboot command. Then boot to your new custom recovery and flash the su.zip you copied to the phone from recovery.

Reactions: bb2si

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
If you are unlocked you can simply download a custom recovery for your phone into your fastboot directory and boot your phone to boot loader (fastboot) mode. Flash your recovery using your appropriate fastboot command. Then boot to your new custom recovery and flash the su.zip you copied to the phone from recovery.

Everything went smoothly! I am now rooted and excited to get to work!

Thank you for your time and help!

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Last edited:

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
Good deal. You may want to investigate s-off'ing that thing too while you still can. Just make sure you download the right version for your phone and run as admin

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2525375

Would that solve my next problem? (I'm such a sputz)

I'm rooted, but I can't uninstall anything with Titanium Backup. The last time this happened on my S3 I was told to install SuperSU and install updated binaries. I did that, but when I reboot and go back into SuoerSU it acymts as if it never happened. Apps I uninstalled are still present, too.

Would S-offing solve this?

Edit: Also, I get an annoying pop-up when I start the phone up that says vDN client has failed. Even before I unlocked and rooted. Any way to stop this?

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm rooted, but I can't uninstall anything with Titanium Backup. The last time this happened on my S3 I was told to install SuperSU and install updated binaries. I did that, but when I reboot and go back into SuoerSU it acymts as if it never happened. Apps I uninstalled are still present, too.

Edit: Also, I get an annoying pop-up when I start the phone up that says vDN client has failed. Even before I unlocked and rooted. Any way to stop this?

You need to flash an insecure boot.img to disable system write protection. S-off would allow you to recover your phone using both signed and unsigned ruu. The advantage of that is when you hose your phone and there's not a current ruu for the version your phone is on - s-on user would be screwed because you cannot downgrade. Just one of many reasons.

The fc problem I'm not sure. If you aren't using that app you can disable it in the stock app manager. Same goes for stuff you might normally remove with tibu. Be warned too that future otas will likely fail if system apps are missing.

pradeepvizz

Dec 24, 2010
Dubai

i have noticed someelse posting about the vDN client failing.. it your providers bloatware if i remember correctly and i think @dottat has a good suggestion! disabled it :)

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
So I somehow lost root privileges... After S-offing, I was asked to update the SU binary through the Superuser app (not SuperSU) and I did so. When the install finished, I went into Titanium Backup and was told I'm not rooted. o_O

Went back into Superuser and it didn't prompt for an update, but SuperSU did. Attempted and failed.

Went into recovery and tried to recover root - no luck.

HALP!

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
So I somehow lost root privileges... After S-offing, I was asked to update the SU binary through the Superuser app (not SuperSU) and I did so. When the install finished, I went into Titanium Backup and was told I'm not rooted. o_O

Went back into Superuser and it didn't prompt for an update, but SuperSU did. Attempted and failed.

Went into recovery and tried to recover root - no luck.

HALP!

Easy...Download this and flash in recovery

http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip

Make sure you aren't running both supersu and superuser. I prefer supersu

bb2si

Sep 26, 2009
Chicago
Huzzah! Thanks again! Hopefully I can actually freeze/remove system apps without them being brought back after a reboot. Also, in the picture provided, what is that icon in the notification bar just right of the GPS icon? And, is there any way to hide some of the icons?

Attachments

• 1392684129227.jpg
    1392684129227.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 19

Murrda

Apr 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
Don't use Superuser by ChainsDD anymore.. Personally I would love to continue to use it but he is basically no longer supporting his Superuser app and binary and hasn't updated it in a very long time. SuperSU by Chainfire is constantly being updated therefore made to work with all current versions of Android.. Quite frankly it's all the same basically anyways I just liked the skull and cross bone look lol... Chainfire is a monster as well and has a ton of root related apps and cool things going on. ChainsDD I guess passed the torch on to Chainfire???

Huzzah! Thanks again! Hopefully I can actually freeze/remove system apps without them being brought back after a reboot. Also, in the picture provided, what is that icon in the notification bar just right of the GPS icon? And, is there any way to hide some of the icons?

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Also I have no idea what that icon is next to the GPS icon.. You must be on Sprint, I'm on Verizon and I don't think I've seen that icon before..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OH! I think I got it! I'll report back with final details...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

No luck... Suggestions?