5,605,026 Members 34,545 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Wall Adapter [Q]

Tip us?

Shinr3x
Old
(Last edited by Shinr3x; 5th January 2014 at 07:46 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Plug Wall Adapter [Q]

Could you guys recommend me a wall adapter?
I heard that i should get a 1500 mA one, but the best i found on amazon is Belkin Universal USB Wall Charger EU which is a 1000 mA ( i'm not allowed to post links yet, but if you search it it's impossible not to find it). I have to tell you that i can only buy it from the UK and that it needs to be a standard EU plug.

mjjferreira
Old
Thanks Meter 9
The one amazon.de sent me charges fine, the only issue is that it turns on my device if i try to charge it when it's off. The charger is a 5v 1A.

My iPhone 5S wall charger is also a 5v 1A but it "behaves better" i guess, because when my moto G is off wheni plug it to the iPhone 5S wall charger it doesn't turn on my phone automaticaly, it charges fine and the moto g only shows the battery image on screen.

Both charge ok (1A 5v), but if i want to charge my phone when it's off i guess some chargers won't be able to do that. Maybe it's an voltage accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miguel Ferreira
PORTUGAL
-----------------------------------
iPad Air 16GB
iPhone 5S 16GB
Motorola Moto G 8GB ( .de version )
The Following User Says Thank You to mjjferreira For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ja_som
Old
Thanks Meter 140

DONATE TO ME
I use adapter from my Nexus 7, otput is 5V 2A and no problems.
Google Nexus 7 16GB+16GB rooted KitKat 4.4.2 + GravityBox

&

Motorola Moto G rooted KitKat 4.4.2 + GravityBox

MahaDEVELOPER
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Any wallcharger will do as long it is 500-1500mA but i think anything over 1500mA can be used, but the device will limit it to 1500mA.
But i wouldn't recommend anything over 1500mA as it could damage the device.
The higher the mA is the faster it will charge.
Currently im using the Sony Ericsson Live Dock DK10 to charge my Moto G but im looking for a more powerful charger.

Press Thanks if i have Helped!
My Phone:

Phone: Motorola Moto G
Model: XT1032
Rom: Stock 4.4
Build Version: KLB20.9-1.10-1.24-1.1
Kernel Version: Faux123 KK 009m
Bootloader: Unlocked
GravityBox and Meenova with Sandisk 16GB Class 10

My Other Phones:

Phone: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini
Model: ST15i
ROM: Original Xperia Z1 Honami Rom
Build version: Exclusive Edition
Kernel version: LuPus v6
Baseband version: -77
Bootloader: Unlocked

Xperia M SOLD

Thank Me if i have helped.
The Following User Says Thank You to MahaDEVELOPER For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcnutty
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MahaDEVELOPER View Post
Any wallcharger will do as long it is 500-1500mA but i think anything over 1500mA can be used, but the device will limit it to 1500mA.
But i wouldn't recommend anything over 1500mA as it could damage the device.
The higher the mA is the faster it will charge.
Currently im using the Sony Ericsson Live Dock DK10 to charge my Moto G but im looking for a more powerful charger.

Press Thanks if i have Helped!
Additional amperage does not harm the device, only incorrect voltage will. The phone will only draw as much amperage as the charging chip allows.

Having said that, keep in mind that quick charging will wear out the battery faster than a slower charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcnutty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neu - smurph
Old
Thanks Meter 34
I'm using a 750mA, 5V Blackberry charger for mine - from empty it takes about 2hrs 45mins to fully charge, so a higher amperage should be pretty fast. Doesn't boot the phone if the phone is off.

Pir4t3
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i bought this one
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

didn't receive it yet

pmzqla
Old
Thanks Meter 7
In case anyone is wondering whether the old Apple wall charger is working or not (the one from circa 2007. I broke my other decent wall adapter...), it's working almost perfectly. It's correctly recognized as wall charger and ~1A is drawn from. That's quite surprising, It had always been wrongly detected by all the phones I tried to charge with it. The only drawback is that the device can't be charged when off, the device will simply boot as soon as it's plugged. This doesn't happen with proper wall chargers (at least on JB, I don't know if something changed with KK).

To know if a wall charger is detected as such, dial *#*#4636#*#* and see if it says "USB" instead of "CA" in the battery informations. Usually USB means lower current (~500mA) and kernel wakelocks (not always this one, it depends on how the charger is detected). That's not good.

You can also get the amount of current flowing though the battery using CurrentWidget (look for it on the Play Store) or reading the files in /sys/class/power_supply/battery/.

chocris
Old
Thanks Meter 2
nothing happens if the moto g connect a charger that 2.0a galaxy s4

journeymangeek
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The Asian dual sim version comes with a charger with a hard wired cable, rather than a micro USB cable (and interestingly, its only got 2 wires connected from what I can tell). Its 500mA, and mine uses a UK plug. I've also tried it with a HTC charger (the moto charger has a VERY long, unwieldy cable) thats also 500mA and it works too. There's no real need for a higher amperage, and it does tend to charge pretty fast.