Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 53,931 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [Help] Inc S dying?

Tip us?

TheMegosh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Exclamation [Q] [Help] Inc S dying?

Hey folks, I've given my Inc S to a family member since getting my Nexus 4 and today they came to me with a pretty weird issue.

When I got the phone in my hands, it was acting incredibly slugish. Took over 10 sec to load the dialer, even longer to open gmail. Rebooting the phone took over 15 mins for Nova Launcher and a few widgets to fully load. Not only that, the defaults were resetting themselves. Nova Launcher and HTC Sense Launcher were asking which to use, Skype and the Dialer were reset too. I had no idea what it could have been, so I booted into recovery, made a cwm backup and dirty flashed the ROM, Nik's Project X Rebirth. Now instead of taking a long time to boot up, I could see it trying (first white HTC logo), then failing and rebooting into 4EXT (After going from the HTC Logo to a black screen, then back to the HTC Logo then recovery). I then completely wiped system, data, cache, and davlik, reflashed the ROM and gapps. Still won't get past the HTC Logo. I tried changing ROMs to Szezso's CM10, without/with gapps and still haven't had success. After poking around on 4EXT I noticed an info window, which shows the memory usage of the different parititons. When I flash Nik's Project X it shows System with 549.2MiB total space, and 540.5MiB free. I find it hard to believe that the System is only using less than 9MiB for the whole thing. This is where it gets weirder... After flashing Szezso's CM10, it won't display the size and free space of System. Instead it shows --MiB. BTW, every flash completely successfully without error.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here, or how to fix it? I'm beginning to think that the internal storage is dying.
Nexus 4
Rom: PAC nighlies | SlimKat weeklies
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.2

HTC Incredible S
Rom: Nikhil's Project X | Szezso's CM 10.1
Hboot: BlackRose 2.02.0002
Radio: 20.2805.30.085AU_3805.04.03.27_M
Recovery: 4EXT Touch

Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D
Destroyed by Canada's weather.

Virgin Mobile (Canada)

poondog
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 9276
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMegosh View Post
Hey folks, I've given my Inc S to a family member since getting my Nexus 4 and today they came to me with a pretty weird issue.

When I got the phone in my hands, it was acting incredibly slugish. Took over 10 sec to load the dialer, even longer to open gmail. Rebooting the phone took over 15 mins for Nova Launcher and a few widgets to fully load. Not only that, the defaults were resetting themselves. Nova Launcher and HTC Sense Launcher were asking which to use, Skype and the Dialer were reset too. I had no idea what it could have been, so I booted into recovery, made a cwm backup and dirty flashed the ROM, Nik's Project X Rebirth. Now instead of taking a long time to boot up, I could see it trying (first white HTC logo), then failing and rebooting into 4EXT (After going from the HTC Logo to a black screen, then back to the HTC Logo then recovery). I then completely wiped system, data, cache, and davlik, reflashed the ROM and gapps. Still won't get past the HTC Logo. I tried changing ROMs to Szezso's CM10, without/with gapps and still haven't had success. After poking around on 4EXT I noticed an info window, which shows the memory usage of the different parititons. When I flash Nik's Project X it shows System with 549.2MiB total space, and 540.5MiB free. I find it hard to believe that the System is only using less than 9MiB for the whole thing. This is where it gets weirder... After flashing Szezso's CM10, it won't display the size and free space of System. Instead it shows --MiB. BTW, every flash completely successfully without error.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here, or how to fix it? I'm beginning to think that the internal storage is dying.
Might just be clogged up. Try full wipe and reflash Rom

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheMegosh
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by poondog View Post
Might just be clogged up. Try full wipe and reflash Rom

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I have full wiped... System, Data, Cache, Dalvik. What else is there?
Nexus 4
Rom: PAC nighlies | SlimKat weeklies
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.2

HTC Incredible S
Rom: Nikhil's Project X | Szezso's CM 10.1
Hboot: BlackRose 2.02.0002
Radio: 20.2805.30.085AU_3805.04.03.27_M
Recovery: 4EXT Touch

Samsung Galaxy S SGH-T959D
Destroyed by Canada's weather.

Virgin Mobile (Canada)

skinniezinho
Old
Thanks Meter 52

DONATE TO ME
Microsd failing?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
HTC One M7_UL / Hboot 1.57.0000 / Radio 4T.27.3218.14 /CID HTC_001/S-OFF/ Insert Coin
LG P500=>Nokia E52=>Nexus S=>HTC Incredile S=>Galaxy Nexus=>Nexus 4=>HTC One 32Gb

vincent_c2
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I don't think a faulty microSD card would display the symptoms that the OP has described? Unless you've moved a bunch of your apps to your sdcard...