Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LG's L40(kitkat) vs P900(ICS).. Cheated by LG

Tip us?

gagan97
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default LG's L40(kitkat) vs P900(ICS).. Cheated by LG

I was reading in news about LG's new low end phone L40 which is going to be launched with kitkat version of android . Here is spec of L40 phone

the L40 has a 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor a smaller screen at 3.5-inches. It also has 4GB of internal storage, but RAM is lesser than the other two(L series phone) at 512 MB. The camera is only a 3-megapixel unit, while the battery size will vary according to markets. The two battery sizes are 1,700mAh and 1,540mAh.

And they are neglecting our P990 which has similar specifications. They should have upgraded our phone first to kitkat which was their flagship phone first.They can not say it doesn't have hardware to support it becoz they themselves are releasing kitkat on same hardware.

BTW wats the point of releasing L40 when they had already release same spec phone few years back ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gagan97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

proyatzu
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagan97 View Post

BTW wats the point of releasing L40 when they had already release same spec phone few years back ?
Money Money Money :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to proyatzu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NoDze
Old
Thanks Meter 64

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I was reading in news about LG's new low end phone L40 which is going to be launched with kitkat version of android . Here is spec of L40 phone

the L40 has a 1.2 Ghz dual-core processor a smaller screen at 3.5-inches. It also has 4GB of internal storage, but RAM is lesser than the other two(L series phone) at 512 MB. The camera is only a 3-megapixel unit, while the battery size will vary according to markets. The two battery sizes are 1,700mAh and 1,540mAh.

And they are neglecting our P990 which has similar specifications. They should have upgraded our phone first to kitkat which was their flagship phone first.They can not say it doesn't have hardware to support it becoz they themselves are releasing kitkat on same hardware.

Would you buy it? I mean, seriously dude, it's about selling. They are going to make a few millions on that L40 just because it's brand new, has kitkat and has a screen size like older iPhones. If they would update the "unupdateable" Tegra2 powered, 2-3 years old 2X, then everyone would go around buying second-hand, used 2Xs for 40$ on eBay, instead of going for their new phone.
"Many came and many left."

Device: LG Optimus 2X
Rom: Experimenting, but mostly Optix or TonyP's magic ROMs

Past devices:
LG GT540 Optimus
Apple iPhone 3G
Samsung Captivate
LG Optimus 7
SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoDze For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

F. Gacrux
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I'd rather say Google cheated everyone, because Android updates life cycle is too short. There is a bunch of "old" phones with very capable hardware to run KitKat 4.4 and phone manufacturers won't ever update them because they just don't have any legal obligation to do so, we only have to hope their "goodwill" to release drive sources, which isn't the case for our 2x since nVidia and LG don't give a %#@!.

It's kinda sad me to see how a very capable phone gets obsolete by force due the lack of system updates, and I'm not talking only about our O2x.

This also raises other important topic, such as about electronic waste, people are wasting their 2 year phone because they are stuck in Gingerbread limbo.

grimmyrippy
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Gacrux View Post
I'd rather say Google cheated everyone, because Android updates life cycle is too short. There is a bunch of "old" phones with very capable hardware to run KitKat 4.4 and phone manufacturers won't ever update them because they just don't have any legal obligation to do so, we only have to hope their "goodwill" to release drive sources, which isn't the case for our 2x since nVidia and LG don't give a %#@!.

It's kinda sad me to see how a very capable phone gets obsolete by force due the lack of system updates, and I'm not talking only about our O2x.

This also raises other important topic, such as about electronic waste, people are wasting their 2 year phone because they are stuck in Gingerbread limbo.
+1, i think the best manufacturer were we can go is sony?? :noidea:

as i can see today sony is the only manufacturer that providing at least the sources for old phones?
The Following User Says Thank You to grimmyrippy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ohlikken
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I think it's worse that they wont give out all the code needed to optimize and improve the Tegra2 cores for O2X than updating it themselves.
(since they obviously aren't very good at it)
LG Optimus 2x
Rom: CM11 TonyP
Kernel: M1 by Pengus77
Big thanks to both of them and everyone involved!

bliizzz
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDze View Post
Would you buy it? I mean, seriously dude, it's about selling. They are going to make a few millions on that L40 just because it's brand new, has kitkat and has a screen size like older iPhones. If they would update the "unupdateable" Tegra2 powered, 2-3 years old 2X, then everyone would go around buying second-hand, used 2Xs for 40$ on eBay, instead of going for their new phone.

Well they could at least give out a stable ics ota
The official ics update is crap as hell totally unusable, i would have sold this phone but thanks to the wonderful devs of this community I'm still using it 😃

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

williamsjp
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:

That L40 is dumb but no doubt like the L3 it will be a great kids phone.

But our P990 will not get love from LG mine is 2 years old now and it was the last of them to be seen here in New Zealand, most people will break or loose the phone by now why develop for such a small audeince, dont forget our phone only have about 384mb of ram and they do not support NEON instuction either it was meant to be over at 4.2 but TonyP and pengus got us a bit further.

Even if you look at the specs i dont think the L90 would be a good replacement for the P990 mainly because of the price im guessing it will be more than the Nexus 5 which cost now the same amount as the P990 cost me two years ago.

akash.mahadeshwar
Old
Thanks Meter 19
The only thing I guess which create prob in devlopment of official kk is tegra 2.
I do have a 4x and lg has stated that 4x wont get any any further update cause it has tegra 3 and is stuck at jellybean forever!

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2
Kernel :- Kowalski Kernel
Rom :- CM 11 tonyp
Bootloader:- New Bootloader
Thanks tonyp, pengus77, rugglez, mivv, bippi79, MetaIIica n all the other DEVS

BS86
Old
(Last edited by BS86; 26th February 2014 at 02:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1024

DONATE TO ME
nvidia drivers are closed source and they do not update the drivers any more - and the tegra2 does not even support neon-instructions - thats why LG stopped developing

and because the phone now really is too old - i mean, a 3 year old smartphone is already a dinosaur, what other company still develops updates for such old phones?

my next phone will definitely have NO nvidia chip in it, and will be manufactured by sony because of their full open source approach.
LG P990 | Board: 04 | CM11 20140714 by tonyp | BB: V30A - RIL: ROM default | Firtecy Kernel exp#4 32MB RH | BL: New (ICS) | Recovery: TWRP 2.6.0.0 by tonyp
History: Motorola M3888 | Siemens C35 | SE T300 | Siemens S65 | SE W810i & Nokia 2310 | SE W595 & Nokia 2310 | LG P990 & N7 LTE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BS86 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]