[Q] Cyanogen sync with gmail address book, and Swype

Tip us?

dargaud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cyanogen sync with gmail address book, and Swype

Hello all,
I didn't find a Cyanogen specific forum so I'm posting here.
The last stock update to my Galaxy SII somewhat messed it up, it started running boiling hot, drining the battery without showing any CPU or anything. So today I installed the stable CyanogenMod (10.1.3) and so far it doesn't have this problem.

Two important questions:
- how do I get my gmail address book inside the phone ? Under Settings/Accounts I only see CyanogenMod, and trying to add one gives me Corporate (Exchange), CyanogenMod (again) and Email.
- how do I get Swype ? It's not available from the Language&Input settings.
- how do I view the external SD card from the file manager ? It only shows the internal storage.

OK, that was 3. Thanks

frantisek.nesveda
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargaud View Post
- how do I get my gmail address book inside the phone ? Under Settings/Accounts I only see CyanogenMod, and trying to add one gives me Corporate (Exchange), CyanogenMod (again) and Email.
Did you also install the gapps package when installing CyanogenMod? The Google Account is only available when you install gapps.
CyanogenMod doesn't come with Google Apps and accound and other Googly stuff preinstalled, due to licencing issues. You have to flash gapps separately in recovery, after installing CyanogenMod. You can read more about gapps and download them here.

Quote:
- how do I get Swype ? It's not available from the Language&Input settings.
Swype is available here on Play Store. There is also a free version, you can find it on Play Store as well.
Note that to be able to install apps from Play Store, you have to install the gapps package first.

Quote:
- how do I view the external SD card from the file manager ? It only shows the internal storage.
Go to File manager - Settings - General Settings, and under Access Mode select Root Access Mode. Press allow on the dialog that pops up, and then go back to the directory listing in File Manager. On the top of the app you will see the path which you are currently viewing. Click on the / and you will get to the root directory of your phone, where you can find a folder called externalSD or something similar. That is your external SD card.

Hope this helps.

dargaud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Did you also install the gapps package when installing CyanogenMod?
Thanks. I didn't know that. I got it installed and everything is back now, even previous apps. Great.

Quote:
Swype is available on Play Store
I had it on the stock phone, so I simply did not think about that. Thanks again.

Quote:
Go to File manager - Settings - General Settings, and under Access Mode select Root Access Mode. Press allow on the dialog that pops up, and then go back to the directory listing in File Manager. On the top of the app you will see the path which you are currently viewing. Click on the / and you will get to the root directory of your phone, where you can find a folder called externalSD or something similar. That is your external SD card.
That solves it, but requiring root just to access sdcard files is a bit dangerous if it can access any system files as well...

frantisek.nesveda
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
That solves it, but requiring root just to access sdcard files is a bit dangerous if it can access any system files as well...
Well, root access is not required to access the external storage card, but you have to enable root access to be able to go to other directories than internal SD card in the CyanogenMod File Manager. It is a bad design decision, though.

You may install other file manager apps from the Play Store, lots of them have the option to access external SD card without root. I don't have a phone with internal AND an external storage, so I can't test it, but I believe Clean File Manager will do the job fine, at least based on its Play Store description. You could also try Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer, these are one of the most popular file managers on Android.

dargaud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you. I used "OI file manager" and it worked fine.

I have a few other questions as I discover Cyanogen if you don't mind:
- it took me a while to get the FM radio working again, thanks to Spirit UL
- using the default Apollo music player, I don't see how I can 'Play all'. I can queue a song, an album or an artist. But I don't see how I can randomly play everything. The menu button hardly ever seems to do anything.

frantisek.nesveda
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
- it took me a while to get the FM radio working again, thanks to Spirit UL
I'm not using FM radio on my phones, so I can't help you with that much, sorry. But if it is working now, then everything is OK.

Quote:
- using the default Apollo music player, I don't see how I can 'Play all'. I can queue a song, an album or an artist. But I don't see how I can randomly play everything. The menu button hardly ever seems to do anything.
This may be because you are using CyanogenMod 10.1. Apollo was just beginning when CM 10.1 was released, so the option to Shuffle All may not be there. I've got CyanogenMod 10.2 on my phone and CyanogenMod 11 on my tablet and I've got the option to Shuffle All present when I press the overflow menu button on the starting screen of Apollo. See the picture:

If you really don't have the option there, you have a few options:
  • Install a newer version of Apollo from this thread.
  • Install a newer version of CyanogenMod, which will include the newer Apollo. CM 11 is the latest and greatest, and a lot has improved from CM 10.1. Here is the official thread for your device. Really, you should try it.
  • Install another music player. I'm using NexMusic and I'm very happy.

By the way, when you reply to someone, then if you quote his post, he can get a notification that you quoted the post and find out about your new reply. Otherwise it's a small probability that he'll notice there is a new post in the thread. I saw your reply by chance, when I was searching for another thread I posted in. You can quote a post by clicking the Reply button under it.

Here's some other XDA Tips you may find helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-10 22.22.27.png
Views:	45
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2571808  

dargaud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by frantisek.nesveda View Post
This may be because you are using CyanogenMod 10.1. Apollo was just beginning when CM 10.1 was released, so the option to Shuffle All may not be there. I've got CyanogenMod 10.2 [...]
Apparently, the latest for the Galaxy SII is 10.1.3, so I'll have to wait a while or use another music player. No biggie. Thanks for the tips.

frantisek.nesveda
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Apparently, the latest for the Galaxy SII is 10.1.3, so I'll have to wait a while or use another music player. No biggie. Thanks for the tips.
You have the Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100, right? I sent you the link for CM 11 for that device in the previous post. 10.1.3 was the last release marked as stable, but don't let that fool you. I'm using nightlies on my tablet and they are running without a problem. On an popular older device, like the S II, the stability bugs have been fixed during the long development period, and now it is running nearly without problems. Yesterday they even released a M3 Snapshot build, so there should really be no major problems and almost no minor problems, for sure stable enough for daily usage. Still, I'd recommend you to look at your device's thread and see if someone reported some major problem or not.

Quote:
CM 11 is the latest and greatest, and a lot has improved from CM 10.1. Here is the official thread for your device.

dargaud
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You have the Samsung Galaxy S II GT-i9100, right? I sent you the link for CM 11 for that device in the previous post. 10.1.3 was the last release marked as stable, but don't let that fool you. I'm using nightlies on my tablet and they are running without a problem. On an popular older device, like the S II, the stability bugs have been fixed during the long development period, and now it is running nearly without problems. Yesterday they even released a M3 Snapshot build, so there should really be no major problems and almost no minor problems, for sure stable enough for daily usage. Still, I'd recommend you to look at your device's thread and see if someone reported some major problem or not.
That's good to know. I'll try nightly then.

I tried NexMusic and it's nice. A related question is that I have headphones with a 'play/pause' button and when I hold the button it brings up Google voice input. I'd rather have a 'skip to next song' function. Looked at some hardware button threads but did not see a direct solution in the settings. I installed ButtonRemapper but I also don't see distinctions for long presses there.

frantisek.nesveda
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
I tried NexMusic and it's nice. A related question is that I have headphones with a 'play/pause' button and when I hold the button it brings up Google voice input. I'd rather have a 'skip to next song' function. Looked at some hardware button threads but did not see a direct solution in the settings. I installed ButtonRemapper but I also don't see distinctions for long presses there.
You can try Headset Button Controller, for me it works the best of all the apps I tried on my HD2. It has specific options for long presses and much more.