Need root for flashing a ROM?

Search This thread

j111

Sep 17, 2013
Hi folks, easy question, but this will be my first time flashing a ROM so I want to be sure so I don't end up with an expensive brick.

Reading the Wicked ROM info, it says at one point in the OP that "You MUST be ROOTED"

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2265998

I don't get it. Most other ROMs don't say this. If I understand ROM flashing, you need a custom recovery, after which you can flash any ROM you want, regardless of if you have root on your *current* ROM.

Am I mistaken or is the Wicked OP incorrect? Can someone please clarify for me?

Much appreciated!

BTW, Wicked looks like the tweaker's delight. It also claims to be fast and debloated like many other ROMs, but it has so many features - this makes me wonder if it's slower than other ROMs. I know it's subjective and device dependent, but if other ppl have opinions about this I'd love to hear.

j111

Sep 17, 2013
OK so just to confirm, the Wicked instructions are wrong, at least insofar as having root is irrelevant (should be replaced with "you must have custom recovery"), right?

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
OK so just to confirm, the Wicked instructions are wrong, at least insofar as having root is irrelevant (should be replaced with "you must have custom recovery"), right?

Yes.

But virtually no one has custom recovery WITHOUT having root. So the way Wicked words it will get the correct message across to 99.99% of readers. Technicaly it's wrong though.