Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,778 Members 52,417 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Pebble Vs SW2

Tip us?

seoulbrova
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default Pebble Vs SW2

http://youtu.be/z2hhx7feky8

I picked up the Sony Smartwatch 2 yesterday and compared it to the Pebble in regards to hardware.

Nomad1600
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Nice video, helpful to people deciding between the two. I really like some aspects of the Pebble. I like the community support aspect for one thing... with the Sony, you are much more dependent on Sony and a smaller number of developers to add value. I like some of the apps/extensions available on the Pebble. I especially like the greater number of watchfaces available... I'd pay for the one you show on the Pebble... a low-power watchfaces that shows weather and notification counts? Sure would save the power button from all the times you need to wake up the phone to check an extension.

Ultimately, both watches will be pushed aside by "smarter" watch designs to come in the next year or so. The HOT watch, or the Gear2, or something like the Omate. I am continually tempted and would make the jump if these were a bit smaller, a bit cheaper, and (biggest issue... available.).
Android devices: Samsung Galaxy S III running AICP 5.0 (retired phone: HTC Thunderbolt running InfectedROM NuSense Eternity); Nexus 7, HP TouchPad running Milaq CM11 nightly, Sony SmartWatch 2

seoulbrova
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1600 View Post
Nice video, helpful to people deciding between the two. I really like some aspects of the Pebble. I like the community support aspect for one thing... with the Sony, you are much more dependent on Sony and a smaller number of developers to add value. I like some of the apps/extensions available on the Pebble. I especially like the greater number of watchfaces available... I'd pay for the one you show on the Pebble... a low-power watchfaces that shows weather and notification counts? Sure would save the power button from all the times you need to wake up the phone to check an extension.

Ultimately, both watches will be pushed aside by "smarter" watch designs to come in the next year or so. The HOT watch, or the Gear2, or something like the Omate. I am continually tempted and would make the jump if these were a bit smaller, a bit cheaper, and (biggest issue... available.).
There's so much I like about the smart watch2 compared to the pebble. Unfortunately, there's just minor hiccups IMO that keep it from being great. I wish it was slightly more responsive to touches and I noticed slight lag in some instances. I love the flashlight, timer apps that are built in.

I really think Sony will hit it out of the park with the sw3.

I'm excited to see what the second gen gear will offer as well.