Waterproof bicycle mount for Nexus 5

Tip us?

joe2015
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Waterproof bicycle mount for Nexus 5

Hi

I'm looking for a waterproof case/ bicycle mount combination for the Nexus 5 so I can use it for navigation while I'm riding.

Has anyone found a decent solution for this? I've looked at various options, but the Chinese made ones seem cheap and unreliable, and the only other options I've seen are designed for motorbikes.

Thanks

daud44
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'd like to get the same for my nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2015 View Post
Hi

I'm looking for a waterproof case/ bicycle mount combination for the Nexus 5 so I can use it for navigation while I'm riding.

Has anyone found a decent solution for this? I've looked at various options, but the Chinese made ones seem cheap and unreliable, and the only other options I've seen are designed for motorbikes.

Thanks

vectron
Old
(Last edited by vectron; 18th March 2014 at 07:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1738
I know exactly what you mean. You save a few bucks with a case from ebay, and it rips within a week. Or if you are looking for a truly water resistant case, you start noticing holes around the thread. I wouldn't trust those, and in reality you don't save but actually lose money. But anyway...

If you are looking for a quality water resistant bike case for your Nexus 5, I would recommend these from Arkon (still cheap, and you get 2 year warranty):

http://www.amazon.com/SMWPCS532-Hand...dp/B00E4YR7Z4/

http://www.amazon.com/SMWPCS534-WATE...dp/B00EN19UYE/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you find my post helpful, please hit Thanks

Complete list of all smartphone and tablet accessory REVIEWS by Vectron -> HERE

pevzz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Waterproof bicycle mount for Nexus 5

Hi guys,

Try this....Arkon LG Optimus 7 Motorcycle, Motorbike, Bicycle, Bike Handlebar Mount (sku 7836) for only 16.54 euro.

joe2015
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies. I had seen that case but it says it is water resistant. Do you think actually it would be waterproof but the manufacturer is just covering themselves?

vectron
Old
Thanks Meter 1738
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I had seen that case but it says it is water resistant. Do you think actually it would be waterproof but the manufacturer is just covering themselves?
I'm pretty sure if you submerge it into a water - your phone is done, so it's not waterproof. In this case water resistant is more like heavy duty splash resistant. It should work riding your bike even in a light right; not sure if you would want to test it out in a heavy rain or even driving a bike in a heavy rain. Btw, you can find water repellent fabric spray, maybe apply that on top for extra protection? https://www.google.com/#q=water%20re...fabric%20spray

neustadt
Old
Thanks Meter 7
maybe this one, if this reply is not way to late:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/TiGRA-Bike-CO...-/121250577442

vectron
Old
(Last edited by vectron; 18th March 2014 at 07:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by neustadt View Post
maybe this one, if this reply is not way to late:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/TiGRA-Bike-CO...-/121250577442
I guess TiGRA is a german brand? This is a first time I of heard of them. The problem is that it looks closely integrated with their other products. The case has a separate room to stuff their own 2300 mAh battery and it has jumper cables with micro-usb to 2.5mm DC voltage output. It would not be easy to find an adapter for that since its very uncommon. Beside, considering it goes on your bike handlebar, why would you want to have external wires going to a power supply on a bicycle?

In my opinion, the Arkon water resistant bike mount info I posted above is more universal, lightweight, and you can fit your phone even with extended size battery.

neustadt
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I dont know if TiGRA is german. I searched but couldnt find their website.
They way I see it this is quite a universal case. Not integrated to their other products. Yes they do have a battery that fits their cases. But you can use any other battery that fits aswell. About the jumper cables. A 2.5mm DC Plug is nothing special. You could use this cabe to wire it to you dynamo or an bigger battery in your bikes side pockets for example.

But thanks for the Arkon hint. I will check them out.

francoluis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default nexus 5 bike holder

Quote:
Hi

Thanks
Has anybody bought interphone sm54? It's available from Amazon and looks solid enough.
Best regards.
Luis