SlimKat 2.6 RC2 on i777 Internal Storage Problem

OP wolftou

11th February 2014, 06:52 AM   |  #11  
Round Rock
Thanks Meter: 56

274 posts
More
So let me get this straight, and please quote me; we can actually flash ROMs from the i9100 forum as long as steps are taken to manually format partitions? Cause man, I've just been dying to give SlimKat a whirl on my i777, along with checking out other ROMs there. The i777 just doesn't seem to be as popular as its counterpart.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
11th February 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #12  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 34

92 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanJustice

So let me get this straight, and please quote me; we can actually flash ROMs from the i9100 forum as long as steps are taken to manually format partitions? Cause man, I've just been dying to give SlimKat a whirl on my i777, along with checking out other ROMs there. The i777 just doesn't seem to be as popular as its counterpart.

That's as straight as it can be from me. I have i777 and is using SlimKat 2.6 RC3 weeklies with RenderBroken's kernel right now. I don't know about others but I have to manually wipe it. Also, I'm using TWRP when I do the wipes so I'm not sure if mr-cook's wipe script works differently with TWRP and CWM or not. Either way, manually wipe everything with TWRP is my way of doing it now.

And hmm, I don't know about ROMs but SlimKat works, and you need RenderBroken's kernel for it to work completely because 9100 doesn't have the same buttons as i777.
Last edited by wolftou; 11th February 2014 at 06:20 PM.
11th February 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 2,286

1,292 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftou

I don't know about ROMs but SlimKat works, and you need RenderBroken's kernel for it to work completely because 9100 doesn't have the same buttons as i777.

This is true, but the real reason you can only use Renders' slim kernel on SlimKat is because they use different ramdisks: no other kernel will work on that rom.

For other i9100 KK roms, his TWRP and CWM kernels work, so for those not based on Slim you can use whichever you prefer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th February 2014, 09:03 PM   |  #14  
Round Rock

274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

This is true, but the real reason you can only use Renders' slim kernel on SlimKat is because they use different ramdisks: no other kernel will work on that rom.

For other i9100 KK roms, his TWRP and CWM kernels work, so for those not based on Slim you can use whichever you prefer.

Great! So hey, help me out; which partitions do I have to wipe exactly, in which order? A chronological how-to would get my thanks for sure. SlimKat has always been my favorite ROM.

13th February 2014, 12:55 AM   |  #15  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta

1,292 posts
More
Quote:

...which partitions do I have to wipe exactly, in which order?

You only need to manually format /system when installing other roms, along with the usual factory reset/wipe data stuff. As long as you install a rom after you format system, the order doesn't matter.

Example, you could format system first then factory reset - the order is irrelevant. What the system format is doing is removing the current system installed on the device (the OS). All a factory reset does is restore the current rom to basic factory settings - it doesn't erase anything in terms of the OS.

That's why formatting /system (especially when changing bases) is so important; it prepares the device for the new rom you install by allowing a clean install every time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th February 2014, 01:09 AM   |  #16  
Round Rock

274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMurphy

You only need to manually format /system when installing other roms, along with the usual factory reset/wipe data stuff. As long as you install a rom after you format system, the order doesn't matter.

Example, you could format system first then factory reset - the order is irrelevant. What the system format is doing is removing the current system installed on the device (the OS). All a factory reset does is restore the current rom to basic factory settings - it doesn't erase anything in terms of the OS.

That's why formatting /system (especially when changing bases) is so important; it prepares the device for the new rom you install by allowing a clean install every time.

Cool, thanks for the info! You guys generally like SlimKat? Is the memory usage better CM or Omni?

13th February 2014, 01:31 AM   |  #17  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta

1,292 posts
More
Quote:

Cool, thanks for the info! You guys generally like SlimKat? Is the memory usage better CM or Omni?

Try all 3 and decide which one you prefer; we all like different things in our roms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th February 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #18  
Round Rock

274 posts
More
I may try and port slimkat over tonight, you think people would like that?

The Following User Says Thank You to CyanJustice For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #19  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Atlanta

1,292 posts
More
Quote:

The Slim team doesn't approve of ports, I'm afraid you'd get shut down. I think people would like it, but I'd advise against posting it.

The workaround would be to build your own version from source, with additions from other roms. That way it isn't a straight port.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveMurphy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th February 2014, 06:04 PM   |  #20  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 34

92 posts
Quote:

You know, if you're capable, I'd say just join the Slim Team. They discontinued i777 probably because of lack of device or developer. So if you can port/dev, why not just join the team and head up the i777 development. And since the i9100 and i777 is practically the same device, it wouldn't be too hard to work with the i9100 dev team. Just a thought.

I'm using the SlimKat 3 with Render's latest CWM test kernel and everything is working well so far.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread