[Q] Wifi Problems [Solved]

Search This thread

SomeGuy4

Jan 26, 2014
Phone: Samsung S4 mini SGH-I257m (Canada Rogers)
Android 4.2.2 I257MVLUAMK5

I used an app called "Wifi Pass Recovery & Backup" and it killed my wifi. It tries to turn on and fails. I could redo my phone completely but I would rather fix it.

I have tried many things:

I made a backup with the app before doing anything and restoring that did nothing. Using the in app "reset wifi settings" button also did nothing but remove my saved networks.

Using ES File Explorer I have looked at the /system/bin/wps_supplicant, /data/misc/wifi/wps_supplicant.conf, /system/etc/wifi/wps_supplicant.conf. Played around with permissions, owner and checked MD5 with backed up versions. One thing I noticed was that the permissions seemed to reset when I would reboot.....

I used logcat and couldn't gain any ground there.

Some post I saw said something about replacing /system/bin/wps_supplicant with the one from the stock firmware, but i couldn't figure out how to find the files in the firmware I downloaded. I did find a factory image from google and was able to extract the files I was looking for, but they didn't work either. No surprise there.

I would love some help this as you guys are the experts!

Thanks!

Last edited:

SomeGuy4

Jan 26, 2014
Solved

Ok....So, I was able to fix the problem by going back to the stock ROM. Not what I was wanting but whatever.

In an effort to try to figure out what happened, I cross-checked the stock files with the the ones I had before.

- the MD5 checksum of /system/bin/wpa_supplicant was identical
- /system/etc/wifi/wps_supplicant.conf was identical
- /data/misc/wifi/wps_supplicant.conf had a difference with config_methods. Stock was 'physical_display', old was 'physical_display virtual_push_button keypad'

So as far as I can tell.....that one entry was the problem.