Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Gaming Console with Lollipop? Ouya Gets an Android TV Port

Android is a very flexible platform, and it can be used on a large variety of … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Impact of Root/ROM on Sasmung OS Updates & App Purchases

OP mhonard

16th February 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

71 posts
Will rooting stop the ability to do Samsung OS updates or Samsung purchases from their app store?
16th February 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #2  
Flag Taylorville, IL.
Thanks Meter: 279

2,216 posts
More
From what I've found; Yes, rooting disables the OS update. You can use the Wanam Xposed module to re-enable them, but I'm not entirely sure it will flash properly.
I can't speak for the Samsung app store as I don't use it.
17th February 2014, 12:00 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 87

363 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhonard

Will rooting stop the ability to do Samsung OS updates or Samsung purchases from their app store?

I will stop updates from Samsung but when updates come out you'll just have to flash update with Odin. If you search around forum you can find out how. It's very easy to do. I don't think it will mess up nothing with Samsung store. I don't use it and got rid of it but I did have it on after rooting and everything was fine.
17th February 2014, 03:49 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 28

255 posts
Pretty sure you won't be able to use Samsung video Hub because of Copy Protection after root
17th February 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577

4,469 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincey2kr1

Pretty sure you won't be able to use Samsung video Hub because of Copy Protection after root

Rooted and I downloaded a few movies from Samsung store, they have a weird format (non standard format)... Works fine. Samsung store no problem.
Also downloaded movies from the hub, again no problem...
You can't get OTA updates but you can download the roms and flash via ODIN (if you have Knox warranty void 0x0 there's no problem). This won't trip Knox warranty void...
17th February 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 28

255 posts
Clean rom or just stock rooted? I get kicked to home screen from samsung video store.
18th February 2014, 12:26 AM   |  #7  
Flag near Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 413

891 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69

Rooted and I downloaded a few movies from Samsung store, they have a weird format (non standard format)... Works fine. Samsung store no problem.
Also downloaded movies from the hub, again no problem...
You can't get OTA updates but you can download the roms and flash via ODIN (if you have Knox warranty void 0x0 there's no problem). This won't trip Knox warranty void...

Quote:

Clean rom or just stock rooted? I get kicked to home screen from samsung video store.

Do you both have access to Hub Music??? What recovery are you both using?
18th February 2014, 12:56 AM   |  #8  
Flag Waratah
Thanks Meter: 577

4,469 posts
Quote:

Stock rooted, with stock recovery and xposed cosmetic status installed...

Haven't tried the music hub as I've got what I want...
On video hub though our country got was issued a 5 movie for free voucher. I got all 5 movies... and a few others too from the movie hub...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread