XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Turning off cell radio??

Tip us?

{tpc}
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Turning off cell radio??

Is there any way to do this on this phone? Primarily for battery life issues? I plan on using this phone NOT as a phone lol, but I would still like to use BT and/or wifi without using the cell radio, hopefully saving some battery life.

Or should I just not worry about it and leave it all on? Phone isn't on a active network anymore, but still has all my old phone number info in it, etc.

PonsAsinorem
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1716

DONATE TO ME
Turning on Airplane Mode doesn't activate this? The RIL is still connected, but it shouldn't be broadcasting anything. Though you can turn wifi on and off while in Airplane Mode, just not the cell radio.

{tpc}
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonsAsinorem View Post
Turning on Airplane Mode doesn't activate this? The RIL is still connected, but it shouldn't be broadcasting anything. Though you can turn wifi on and off while in Airplane Mode, just not the cell radio.
Well the issue is mainly with the BT. Once you turn on airplane mode, the BT is inactive. Wifi still functions, but I need BT as well.

tiny4579
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Well the issue is mainly with the BT. Once you turn on airplane mode, the BT is inactive. Wifi still functions, but I need BT as well.
You can't turn on BT after turning on airplane mode?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

{tpc}
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny4579 View Post
You can't turn on BT after turning on airplane mode?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
No I can't. Maybe I am running too old of a rom? I know its a stock rom. GB I think.

ohbuckeyeman
Old
Thanks Meter 145
I'm not sure if that's a hardware limitation with this chipset or not. I can do exactly what you described in my gs4, but am also unsuccessful on the incredible. Let me know what you figure out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app