Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,052 Members 39,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting/Custom Rom-ing hesitation due to KNOX

Tip us?
 
qilrfn
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2013
Default Rooting/Custom Rom-ing hesitation due to KNOX

Hello all,

I've searched all over XDA and Google, to give me definitive answer about issue i am about to raise, i rooted and put custom roms on all my previous samsung/htc devices, and WAS about to do the same for my Note 3 (its a beastly device, and doesnt need modifications, however it has been a routine for me to root and put custom roms into any devices that i've used)

Now the issue is this:

Yes, i've read about KNOX security system that Samsung has implemented, which would trip a counter and supposedly locked the bootloader of the phone, i've also read that due to the e-fuse that has been implemented, my Note 3 internals could be damaged due to it (?), and also i wouldnt be able to go back to the old version/bootloader as it will be parmanently locked by Samsung if i flash using Odin.

Do take note..that my Note 3 is not under warranty..so if KNOX triggers, it doesnt matter for me , as i wont be going to my local phone shop or official Samsung Officials (there isnt one here in my country) if anything would happen to my device. However i do need to know if its gonna mess with my device due to the e-fuse.

My questions are these..

1) If i root it, using CF's method as i usually do..and will definately put Custom Rom in it...and that will trigger KNOX for sure..will it destroy the internals? say the MOBO..and the phone will be rendered useless and become an expensive paperweight (i dont have warranty, so no replacements)

2) If i use for e.g Omega Rom which released two versions, one, with 4.3 JB and one, with 4.4 KitKat...will i be able to go back and forth for e.g 4.4 to 4.3 as well as jumping to different custom roms with diffrent Android versions?! as i usually do with me previous devices

Thanks and i will definately delete this thread once i'm fully convinced that rooting , putting roms should be avoided or ''Since you dont care about tripping knox, go ahead and do it as ur previous devices'' kinda answer..

Truly Sorry if you guys come across this question already..i've searched for it and come to no avail.. this is my last resort. Thnks XDA and everyone.
 
radicalisto
Old
#2  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1399
Posts: 3,470
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by qilrfn View Post
My questions are these..

1) If i root it, using CF's method as i usually do..and will definately put Custom Rom in it...and that will trigger KNOX for sure..will it destroy the internals? say the MOBO..and the phone will be rendered useless and become an expensive paperweight (i dont have warranty, so no replacements)

2) If i use for e.g Omega Rom which released two versions, one, with 4.3 JB and one, with 4.4 KitKat...will i be able to go back and forth for e.g 4.4 to 4.3 as well as jumping to different custom roms with diffrent Android versions?! as i usually do with me previous devices

Thanks and i will definately delete this thread once i'm fully convinced that rooting , putting roms should be avoided or ''Since you dont care about tripping knox, go ahead and do it as ur previous devices'' kinda answer..

Truly Sorry if you guys come across this question already..i've searched for it and come to no avail.. this is my last resort. Thnks XDA and everyone.
Firstly wrong section - should go to Q&A

1) -- Well you can mess up if you don't follow the right methods (not hard)

2) you can only be on one, if you use 4.3 BL you can't use 4.4 and vice versa... once you go to 4.4 you cannot downgrade back to 4.3 unless you have an N900w8

Generally, rooting/custom ROM's won't hurt your device, just make sure you have the right ROM/Kernel and make the proper backups if needed.

Disable Reactivation Lock, and read about backing up your EFS and how to get out of it if it goes mad (which it sometimes does at random)
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
 
pete4k
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 56
Posts: 333
Join Date: Jan 2014
I think Radicalisto didn't make it clear enough: I'm not aware of tripped Knox flag affecting anything else on the phone except for warranty and inability to use Knox software. Any type of phone issues would probably be due to user error, or loaded software, not the flag itself.
 
qilrfn
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Firstly wrong section - should go to Q&A

1) -- Well you can mess up if you don't follow the right methods (not hard)

2) you can only be on one, if you use 4.3 BL you can't use 4.4 and vice versa... once you go to 4.4 you cannot downgrade back to 4.3 unless you have an N900w8

Generally, rooting/custom ROM's won't hurt your device, just make sure you have the right ROM/Kernel and make the proper backups if needed.

Disable Reactivation Lock, and read about backing up your EFS and how to get out of it if it goes mad (which it sometimes does at random)
Thanks for answering first of all..will defo hit the thnx button..
for the 1) i always make sure i read the instructions and follow steps..no problem there..

2) this one tho..is a bit weird for me..i was able to do it on my note 2..going back and forth 4.3 to 4.1.2 cus i found the 4.1.2 more stable..i guess for note 3 i cant do that anymore? even if use custom roms to up/downgrade?

thnx for ur time..and will take ur advice next time on posting it at the q and a section (still learning)
 
radicalisto
Old
#5  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1399
Posts: 3,470
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York

 
DONATE TO ME
ON 4.3 you once you go to MJ7 Bootloader you cannot downgrade -- however you can go to ML and MK bootloaders and go back to MJ7 again.

For some reason Samsung blocked a downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4 (as the Note shipped with 4.3 no logical reason to allow 4.2 imo) - but if you choose to move to 4.4. bootloader do be aware it can be buggy on some devices (NEE region also Hong Kong notes have issues) - If you have a read around you will see the issues people are having and not having with stock 4.4.

There's plenty of ROMs for both bootloaders CM works on both and most of the Stock based ROM dev's have moved up to the newest NB* Bootloader from NA* - I flashed 4.4 day it leaked (the next hour to be precise and I have had no issues)
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MxFadzil92
Old
#6  
MxFadzil92's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 31
Posts: 324
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by qilrfn View Post
Thanks for answering first of all..will defo hit the thnx button..
for the 1) i always make sure i read the instructions and follow steps..no problem there..

2) this one tho..is a bit weird for me..i was able to do it on my note 2..going back and forth 4.3 to 4.1.2 cus i found the 4.1.2 more stable..i guess for note 3 i cant do that anymore? even if use custom roms to up/downgrade?

thnx for ur time..and will take ur advice next time on posting it at the q and a section (still learning)
since note 3 came with 4.3 and currently latest stock is 4.4.2. even if u wanna go back to 4.3 from what i read around it is not possible. There are alot of aosp roms and stock rooted roms with all kinds of kernel build for both stock and aosp. Im sure if u were to follow the instructions given and do it diligently surely nthg goes wrong unless u overclock ur phone too high or flashing stuff which weren't meant for ur specific device then nthg to be afraid of. I sure glad i went ahead and root. Coz to me knox is a totally BS. all down to ur own preference. u like it u root it u use it. best is to keep reading different threads.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
qilrfn
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
ON 4.3 you once you go to MJ7 Bootloader you cannot downgrade -- however you can go to ML and MK bootloaders and go back to MJ7 again.

For some reason Samsung blocked a downgrade to 4.3 from 4.4 (as the Note shipped with 4.3 no logical reason to allow 4.2 imo) - but if you choose to move to 4.4. bootloader do be aware it can be buggy on some devices (NEE region also Hong Kong notes have issues) - If you have a read around you will see the issues people are having and not having with stock 4.4.

There's plenty of ROMs for both bootloaders CM works on both and most of the Stock based ROM dev's have moved up to the newest NB* Bootloader from NA* - I flashed 4.4 day it leaked (the next hour to be precise and I have had no issues)
Okay..so i would only flash 4.4 roms when Im really really convinced that its time for KitKat..but as of right now, i can only play around with 4.3 roms..ok..understood. You've cleared my doubts man, thanks a bunch and i guess its time to root and flash.
 
qilrfn
Old
#8  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
I think Radicalisto didn't make it clear enough: I'm not aware of tripped Knox flag affecting anything else on the phone except for warranty and inability to use Knox software. Any type of phone issues would probably be due to user error, or loaded software, not the flag itself.
I did read somewhere, the e-fuse is like an internal bomb..if i flag it, some sort of ''internal parts destroyer'' would be unleashed and mess up my device. I guess its just a rumour...hopefully.
 
radicalisto
Old
#9  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1399
Posts: 3,470
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by qilrfn View Post
I did read somewhere, the e-fuse is like an internal bomb..if i flag it, some sort of ''internal parts destroyer'' would be unleashed and mess up my device. I guess its just a rumour...hopefully.
If it's not humour, there's gonna be a lot of angry Note owners here on XDA -- Some tripped KNOX accidently lol - I wouldn't worry too much in all honesty.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
 
st3chn0
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 70
Posts: 295
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Leeds
I'm sure using cf root trips knox

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
Nokia 5310 -> Samsung F400 -> Galaxy S1 -> Galaxy S2 ->Galaxy S3 -> Xperia Ray -> Galaxy Note 3

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes