Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,382 Members 46,793 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What do you think of Samsung's new tablets ?

Tip us?

enaybee
Old
(Last edited by enaybee; 4th February 2014 at 09:15 PM.) Reason: correction
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jey1234 View Post
You pre-ordered it? I also live in Canada but I wasn't aware that the Tab Pro 8.3 is already available for pre-order. I'd appreciate it if you could post more details as to where to pre-order it.
Try this link from Amazon ... clicky click

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Now if only TabPro 8.4 would come in GPe ...
My cellphone journey:

Devices:
Phones-in use: Nexus 5
Phones-backup: HTC One X, iPhone 3G, HTC Fuze
Tablets: Galaxy Tab S 8.4, LG G Pad 8.3, Kindle HDX (8.9), Dell Venue 8, Archos 605 wifi [160gb]
Devices Sold or Broken or given away: AT&T LG G3 (Sold), S III (i747), GNex (i9250), S II (i9100), SGS Captivate, Nexus 7, iPhone 4, Apple iPad2, Nexus 7 FHD, Archos 80|G9

If my post has helped you, please hit "Thanks".

testadeferro
Old
Thanks Meter 299
For those who says that the Gpad is slow.
All my benchmarks are around (sometimes up) 25k antutu points (stock rom).
I use to play heavy games like GTA SA and similar and not feel any lag at all, nor loading times. I own a galaxy s4 with snap800 and the performance is au pair (s4 a thick faster obvious). But generally I donīt use any lag or similiar issues. Iīve made some tweaks and debloated some parts.
This tablet is a real great thing for the price. And for the updates, one I accept on LG, they donīt promise nothing or timelines contrary to Samdung that year after year let his costumers alone with update promises and then they donīt update theyīre flagship devices because of the lauch of new top devices. I donīt play this game anymore. My s4 was my last samdung device after lots of them. Very happy with lg gpad and maybe get the new g pro.
Want better cloud storage?
https://copy.com?r=W7QktP

Devices:
Note 3 SM-N9005
LG 4X HD
Xperia neo (great camera!)
Asus memo pad 7 (what a great budget thing)!

LG G GPAD 8.3 (GOOD)
IPAD MINI

Former phones:
Asus transformer TF-101
Samsung Galaxy s4 LTE 9505
Samsung galaxy s3
Nexus 7 with multirom boot and ubuntu 13.05
Samsung galaxy s2 (great device!)
Xperia S ( great desilusition); Xperia X10 mini pro; Galaxy tab P1000; Samsung galaxy mini
ZTE BLADE

lark83
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default g pad

Faux leather = tacky. Buttons on the bezel = tacky. I'm buying the gpe 8.3 tomorrow. The 8.4 will turn out to be slow. It will freeze and it will lock up - just give her time. If Sammy put one fourth of the money they put into marketing into product development and quality control they would have great products. In order to do that they would have to sacrifice their #1 spot, much like Pioneer and now Panasonic did with PDP production. Quality doesn't make much money anymore. Bloviating salesmen and the promise of quality do. Unfortunately lg isn't too far behind. I just hope my screen doesn't have too many of the QC issues I've read about.

RobilarOCN
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lark83 View Post
Faux leather = tacky. Buttons on the bezel = tacky. I'm buying the gpe 8.3 tomorrow. The 8.4 will turn out to be slow. It will freeze and it will lock up - just give her time. If Sammy put one fourth of the money they put into marketing into product development and quality control they would have great products. In order to do that they would have to sacrifice their #1 spot, much like Pioneer and now Panasonic did with PDP production. Quality doesn't make much money anymore. Bloviating salesmen and the promise of quality do. Unfortunately lg isn't too far behind. I just hope my screen doesn't have too many of the QC issues I've read about.
I actually like the physical buttons. You get full screen without a bar along the bottom of icons that can only be hidden via rooting. I have both the G Pad and the Samsung tab 3 8.0 and while the G Pad is definitely better (also cost me $120 more...) The samsung is a very decent tablet. I gave it to my daughter and she vastly prefers it to her IPad Mini. I've owned most of the Samsung tablets (7.0, 7.0+, note 8,0 and the tab 3 8.0) and was generally pleased with all of them.

My hope for the Samsung is that with the much higher rated battery, it will have a longer battery life than the LG. Battery life and the dimness of the screen are my only concerns with the LG. Otherwise it is great.

Regarding the faux leather back, I am indifferent. I also put tablets in full cases so I guess it is moot. I wonder how they will have a case that covers that back (or maybe just a magentic front?).

lark83
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobilarOCN View Post
I actually like the physical buttons. You get full screen without a bar along the bottom of icons that can only be hidden via rooting. I have both the G Pad and the Samsung tab 3 8.0 and while the G Pad is definitely better (also cost me $120 more...) The samsung is a very decent tablet. I gave it to my daughter and she vastly prefers it to her IPad Mini. I've owned most of the Samsung tablets (7.0, 7.0+, note 8,0 and the tab 3 8.0) and was generally pleased with all of them.

My hope for the Samsung is that with the much higher rated battery, it will have a longer battery life than the LG. Battery life and the dimness of the screen are my only concerns with the LG. Otherwise it is great.

Regarding the faux leather back, I am indifferent. I also put tablets in full cases so I guess it is moot. I wonder how they will have a case that covers that back (or maybe just a magentic front?).
That's a good point about the case but I don't use cases with any of my tabs. We will see. I'm going to check if 8.4 is out on display at any of the brick and mortar stores today and have a go with it. I'm heavily leaning towards the 8.3 but have read many comments like yours stating that the display is too dark or that it crushes blacks, also that it doesn't cover the entire color gamut. The brightness level doesn't have an impact on my decision but the gamut and black crush do. If Samsung would substitute that fake leather back and ugly fake stitching with something more practical it may be a different story. That back is a big deal breaker for me. Aesthetic is a large part of the tablet experience IMO, besides I've had horrible experiences with Samsung product quality in the past, never really owned anything LG so can't comment on them. Does cramming that many pixels per inch really make a difference. I'd think it wouldn't make a difference to our eyes per say and only slows down the device. That 800 is definitely needed. The battery is another good point, but then again it will be powering a lot of heavy hardware and that magazine ux.

RobilarOCN
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lark83 View Post
That's a good point about the case but I don't use cases with any of my tabs. We will see. I'm going to check if 8.4 is out on display at any of the brick and mortar stores today and have a go with it. I'm heavily leaning towards the 8.3 but have read many comments like yours stating that the display is too dark or that it crushes blacks, also that it doesn't cover the entire color gamut. The brightness level doesn't have an impact on my decision but the gamut and black crush do. If Samsung would substitute that fake leather back and ugly fake stitching with something more practical it may be a different story. That back is a big deal breaker for me. Aesthetic is a large part of the tablet experience IMO, besides I've had horrible experiences with Samsung product quality in the past, never really owned anything LG so can't comment on them. Does cramming that many pixels per inch really make a difference. I'd think it wouldn't make a difference to our eyes per say and only slows down the device. That 800 is definitely needed. The battery is another good point, but then again it will be powering a lot of heavy hardware and that magazine ux.
From a build perspective the LG is beautiful. The back is incredible, smooth aluminum. However it's also a scratch magnet similar to the IPad Mini. Definitely needs to be protected or it will get bunged up mighty quick. The only tablet that had similar design quality in Android was my Toshiba AT270
The Following User Says Thank You to RobilarOCN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattskr
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I just got my wife a Samsung Note 3 and it reminded me how beautiful the Samsung screens are: bright and vibrant, compared to the g pad which i find to be dull and my whites are actually dingy gray. Not to mention the screen resolution on the new Pro is incredible. I think the screen is worth the price difference.

I thought I hated Samsung's UI but after spending all weekend teaching my wife how to use her phone, it's not too bad. Never any lag on her phone.

I've never been 100% satisfied with the G Pad. Between the average screen quality, poor wifi, and the slippery metal back, I knew it was probably going to replaced by whatever was the next best thing on the market. Maybe this is it?

Need to go check it out. Looks like it's almost the same size weight as the G Pad which is great. I have an iPad Mini too and the damn thing is just too wide to hold comfortably in one hand in portrait mode.

elim12345
Old
(Last edited by elim12345; 18th February 2014 at 06:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Default LG g pad updated with cyanogenmod

I have cm11 m3 running on my v500 g pad (KitKat 4.4.2). I don't have to wait for LG to update, they will always be way behind on updates (Sammy aswell). Still waiting for my Note 2 update (would root, if I wasn't going to sell soon).
I notice my brightness went way up after updating to cm11. Now plenty bright, usually use at about 60-75 percent, before 85 to 100 percent indoors.
I use a rubber type slip on case, so not slippery any more.
I do have a storage problem when setting app storage to ext sd. It stops back ups, saying insufficient space available, when I have plenty. This is not a deal killer for me.
sd card works great as extra storage and movies play fine from it.
Battery life is not great (even before I rooted and installed cm11), but very manageable.
All in all, this is a great tablet. I would not spend more than $250 ish for it though (at this time, since it is no longer leading edge).
I like the cm11 m3 custom rom. CM11 M3 has Double Tap (wake up screen) and a screen color adjustment, built in. I adjust screen to a slight blue bias. This makes whites better for me.
I like the fact that the v500 is supported by cyanogenmod (cm11), once installed, updates are easy (built in updater). I will stay up to date in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to elim12345 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RobilarOCN
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaybee View Post
Try this link from Amazon ... clicky click

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Now if only TabPro 8.4 would come in GPe ...
Nope that link does not work. They will not deliver to Canada. Try bestbuy canada or ncix, they both have pre order options