Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,657 Members 43,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Questions about Nook HD+

Tip us?

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Questions about Nook HD+

So I just got my Nook HD+ and I've made a stock backup using CWM and have CM11 installed on an SD card but I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to dual boot on the EMMC?
2. Are there any 'must have' tweaks/hacks/apps (root only, besides e.g. backup software)?
3. Is there a way to remove some restrictions on stock e.g. third party keyboard, install any APK without sideloading, etc.?
4. Is there a way to get the screencast software for CM11 without Google+?

I have tried google but the results I got were old or irrelevant (unless I worded it wrong).

Right now the emmc is not rooted, but I am willing to and I've seen the relevant topic.

Thank you.

ttablet
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
I have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to dual boot on the EMMC?
2. Are there any 'must have' tweaks/hacks/apps (root only, besides e.g. backup software)?
3. Is there a way to remove some restrictions on stock e.g. third party keyboard, install any APK without sideloading, etc.?
4. Is there a way to get the screencast software for CM11 without Google+?

I have tried google but the results I got were old or irrelevant (unless I worded it wrong).

Right now the emmc is not rooted, but I am willing to and I've seen the relevant topic.

Thank you.
There are a number of threads that should be helpful to you:

Dual boot. I don't know if anyone has developed a double boot from EMMC (like what, say SafeStrap can do on a Galaxy S4 - assuming that is what you mean). However, if you look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2330083 and this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42295360 you'll see that you can set up a dual boot on the HD+ with Stock on the SD card and CM on EMMC

Tweaks, and restrictions on apps - check out the work of leapinlar, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613
See item 3 in the original post for info on enabling installation from "unknown sources" on stock.

Besides a backup app (Titanium), the other useful utility would be something like ES File Explorer, which I use on both my Nook Tablet (stock, rooted) and my HD+ (CM 10.2)

Hope this helps . . . sorry I can't add anything about screencast

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttablet View Post
There are a number of threads that should be helpful to you:

Dual boot. I don't know if anyone has developed a double boot from EMMC (like what, say SafeStrap can do on a Galaxy S4 - assuming that is what you mean). However, if you look at this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2330083 and this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=42295360 you'll see that you can set up a dual boot on the HD+ with Stock on the SD card and CM on EMMC

Tweaks, and restrictions on apps - check out the work of leapinlar, from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613
See item 3 in the original post for info on enabling installation from "unknown sources" on stock.

Besides a backup app (Titanium), the other useful utility would be something like ES File Explorer, which I use on both my Nook Tablet (stock, rooted) and my HD+ (CM 10.2)

Hope this helps . . . sorry I can't add anything about screencast
Thanks, I have a few days off work so I'll start messing around (main reason I like this over my A2109).

The boot stock from SD will be useful, I want CM as my main OS but want access to Stock for the odd occasion which was why I was wondering over dual boot but CM on the EMMC to prevent wear and in theory faster speeds.

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
So I managed to try it out yesterday and I have a couple more questions:
1. What is the best version of CM at the moment? I tried stable 10.1 from the CM site but BT gave me problems, I'm currently on CM11 nightly but obviously that can have issues (I think screen accuracy if off but that could be me) and I'm not sure if my battery has gotten worse since I installed it.
2. Is Titanium more reliable than mybackup? I got a free pro license for the latter but with at least one app it didn't restore properly and I had to do it manually.

ttablet
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
So I managed to try it out yesterday and I have a couple more questions:
1. What is the best version of CM at the moment? I tried stable 10.1 from the CM site but BT gave me problems, I'm currently on CM11 nightly but obviously that can have issues (I think screen accuracy if off but that could be me) and I'm not sure if my battery has gotten worse since I installed it.
2. Is Titanium more reliable than mybackup? I got a free pro license for the latter but with at least one app it didn't restore properly and I had to do it manually.
The "best" version of CM is a matter of preference and opinion. Running 10.1.3 stable (Sept 23 build) I haven't seen any problems with Bluetooth. On the other hand, the only BT device I've used is a GPS receiver that works without any problems. I'd say that for right now, 10.1.3 seems to be the most stable, with the fewest problems. At some point I'll probably move to CM 11, but for now there doesn't seem to me to be a compelling reason.

As for backup, Titanium seems to be what most people recommend . . . I've been using it on my S4, Nook Tablet, and the HD+ and have been very happy. On the other hand, mybackup looks pretty interesting, probably worth trying, especially since you have a freebie

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttablet View Post
The "best" version of CM is a matter of preference and opinion. Running 10.1.3 stable (Sept 23 build) I haven't seen any problems with Bluetooth. On the other hand, the only BT device I've used is a GPS receiver that works without any problems. I'd say that for right now, 10.1.3 seems to be the most stable, with the fewest problems. At some point I'll probably move to CM 11, but for now there doesn't seem to me to be a compelling reason.

As for backup, Titanium seems to be what most people recommend . . . I've been using it on my S4, Nook Tablet, and the HD+ and have been very happy. On the other hand, mybackup looks pretty interesting, probably worth trying, especially since you have a freebie
The BT bug was that I was having trouble pairing with my other tablet in fact I wasn't sure if it was permanently discoverable.

I had tried mybackup but it's unreliable (ended up manually transferring something) so I can't recommend it.

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I've had another issue come up.

On my nook's ext-SD card I currently have 4 partitions:
1. Boot (about 128MB)
2. Stock ROM (about 1GB)
3. Stock ROM Data (I think? about 4GB)
4. Storage (about 50GB)

Currently my Nook will automatically mount the first partition but I want the fourth partition mounted either as well or instead on boot.

Is there anything I can try?

So far I've tried having a large 'boot' partition instead of '4' but it then doesn't boot off the card.

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
UPDATE: I think I may have a kludge to get a secondary partition to mount instead so I'll post this guide for anyone interested although I've since reformatted the card so the layout is slightly different (this guide is based on there being two partitions but it should work with more).

It's very hacky and could be cleaned up/enhanced (or better yet replaced) but this is beyond my current knowledge.

This guide is based on two different sources and I just modified where necessary and involves an init.d script to unmount and remount the partition I want. In theory this could allow multiple partitions to be mounted but it's untested by me.

Part 1 (init.d script):

The script does the following:
1. Unmount the current ext_sdcard/sdcard1
2. Mount the second partition as ext_sdcard/sdcard1
3. Run the media scanner for said card

First step is to create the script, here is my example:
Quote:
#!/system/bin/sh
sleep 2
umount /storage/sdcard1
mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:26 /storage/sdcard1
am broadcast -a android.intent.action.MEDIA_MOUNTED -d file:///mnt/sdcard1
The part "179.26" was derived by using the program "Android System Info" where I identified the partition already mounted (179.25) and guessed it was the next increment.

I then saved it as "11sd_remount" and placed this in the /etc/init.d/ folder using a file explorer (remember to give it root permissions and mount /system as rw) and then changed the permission to 755 using the terminal commands "su" and "chmod 755 /etc/init.d/11sd_remount".

If you have init.d support in theory this should be enough, unfortunately my CM11 rom doesn't so I had to try alternative methods trying "init.d trigger" and "universal init.d" which somehow seems to work.

In my case there are the following issues:
1. Delay after boot for it to mount the partition
2. You need to replug in USB
3. Another delay for the media scanner

Overall a few minutes from when you get to the home screen.

Two alternatives I can think of apparently involve editing fstab (which I think I read is now located in boot.img) or maybe mounting the extra partition as a different folder but I don't know how to get it mounted for accessing on a computer.

Sources:
Init.d script based on: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...59&postcount=3
Android media scanner terminal command: external site (not sure if I'm allowed to post the link).

ds18s20
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Running 10.1.3 stable (Sept 23 build); it seems to be the optimal for me. I did install 10.2 few days ago but found performance noticeably sluggish compare to what I was used to on 10.1 so I went back.

No bugs that I could report for 10.2; just speed in my case. Hope that helps.

tech3475
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds18s20 View Post
Running 10.1.3 stable (Sept 23 build); it seems to be the optimal for me. I did install 10.2 few days ago but found performance noticeably sluggish compare to what I was used to on 10.1 so I went back.

No bugs that I could report for 10.2; just speed in my case. Hope that helps.
Sorry for the late response.

Thank you I might give 10.1 another go since 11 is giving me wifi issues.