[HOW TO] ROOT HTC RUBY / AMAZE 4G on MACINTOSH OS X

18th February 2014, 11:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
getting this to work on the mac took a few steps, and a few hacks, so I figured I'd lay out all the steps if there are any other brave souls out there who want to root this on the mac with OSX. Also most of the guides I found were a little outdated for 2014

some of these methods were figure out from the windows version of unlocking the amaze 4G from Binary100100 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1426377

IMPORTANT: THIS WAS TESTED ON TMOBILE AMAZE 4G (are there other versions? would it make a difference? can someone more researched answer that question?)

Update Phone

IMPORTANT:
Before doing any of these steps, I ran system software update MULTIPLE times.

Choose Settings->About Phone->Software Updates (or HTC Software updates for earlier versions).

Repeat this until there are NO MORE software updates. This makes sure all your systems are up to date.

Unlock Bootloader
1- Go to the https://www.htcdev.com/ and unlock bootloader.
Follow instructions on the website, they are well documented, and easy (although it takes a few steps)

DURING THIS PROCESS YOU WILL DOWNLOAD THE MAC VERSION OF FASTBOOT (fastboot_mac)

2- create a directory in the top level of your hard drive (not the desktop, but right at '/') called android. put fastbook_mac in this directory.

Install ClockworkMod Recovery
ClockworkMod Recovery can be installed with a combination of a few steps, and a small hack.
we will use fastboot_mac to install clockworkmod recovery

3- Download the attached recovery-cwm-ruby-5.0.2.7.img (below)
make sure this is in the /android directory with fastboot_mac you created in step 2

4- Put phone in fastboot mode.
a. remove and replace battery
b. hold volume down, and then power. Hold together until bootloader starts up.
c. choose fastboot

5- install clockworkmod with fastboot.
open a terminal. then use these 3 commands. enter each one on a separate line (in order)

cd /android
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-cwm-ruby-5.0.2.7.img
./fastboot-mac reboot

Install ClockworkMod Superuser

7- Install ClockworkMod SuperUser from the Google Store
just download and run the app.

8- on first install you will be asked how you would like to run superuser. The install recovery method didn't work for me, and I just chose to install it (3rd button on right).

Hope this helps someone else following in my footsteps.
I also admit I'm totally doing this so I can remember it again later if I need to!

HTC AMAZE 4G , HTC RUBY , MAC , MACINTOSH , OSX , OS X , ROOT , 2014
Attached Files
File Type: zip fastboot-mac.zip - [Click for QR Code] (57.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: img recovery-cwm-ruby-5.0.2.7.img - [Click for QR Code] (4.95 MB, 48 views)
Last edited by joshcali; 18th February 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread