Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Hangouts SMS with notifications on Gear

Tip us?

seanm33
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Hangouts SMS with notifications on Gear

I really like the Google Hangouts as an SMS client, I also like the stock SMS notifications on my Gear. My problem is i wish to continue to utilize the Hangouts app for SMS while only receiving notifications from the stock app on my Gear. I know you can just enable Hangouts notifications via Gear Manager but when you receive multiple messages it collates them and loses content, in addition to not having the quick response capability. I've also tried the Disa.im messaging app. While this is cool I am not a huge fan and MMS is spotty on my Note 3. Thanks!

omniwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 456
you can't do it. The gear relies on notifications from the phone.

1. if you turn off hangouts notifications for SMS, then you can get SMS client notifications, but you won't get hangouts for SMS on the phone

2. if you turn off SMS client notifications on the phone, then the Gear will never know to display the notification.

3. You could have hangouts AND the SMS client enabled on the phone, and only the SMS Client notifications enabled on the Gear, but then you'll have duplicate notifications on the phone, and you won't receive any non SMS hangouts notifications.

you can't win
XDA II > i-mate PDA2 > HTC Touch > HTC Diamond > HTC Desire > SGS2 > SGS3 > SGS3 LTE > SGN2 LTE > SGS4 LTE > HTC One M8
Running InsertCoin ROM

Are you a ROM chef? Want to make sure your APKs have the correct compression settings, the internal PNGs are optimised, and the APKs are zip aligned? Check out my script:
[SCRIPT] Repack multiple APKs with proper compression settings
The Following User Says Thank You to omniwolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

seanm33
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by omniwolf View Post
you can't do it. The gear relies on notifications from the phone.

1. if you turn off hangouts notifications for SMS, then you can get SMS client notifications, but you won't get hangouts for SMS on the phone

2. if you turn off SMS client notifications on the phone, then the Gear will never know to display the notification.

3. You could have hangouts AND the SMS client enabled on the phone, and only the SMS Client notifications enabled on the Gear, but then you'll have duplicate notifications on the phone, and you won't receive any non SMS hangouts notifications.

you can't win
that blows... thanks for the response though.