5,605,835 Members 47,885 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Screen doesn't turn on

Tip us?
 
m3gz
Old
(Last edited by m3gz; 20th January 2014 at 10:49 PM.) Reason: Roms
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] Screen doesn't turn on

I am having some screen issues with my doubleshot. Basically my screen would not turn on but I know everything still works. I am able to listen to music, pick up calls, unlock the phone, etc.

It seems to happen randomly. Pressing the middle button or the power button only makes the buttons glow but doesn't turn on the screen.

Pulling out the battery and forcing the phone to restart solves the problem. Is there a solution or a more graceful way of getting the screen to come back on?

Edit:
Forgot to mention that it happens to my on JellyBean DS and KitKat DS by Emmanuel U.
Was using CM 9.1 by scverhagen and the issue doesn't happen as often. Once a week where has the JB and KK happens atleast once a day.
 
daswerk
Old
#2  
daswerk's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 32
Join Date: May 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
I have the same problem too. For awhile thought it was to an app I moved to sd card (walgreens). Wasn't as often moving app off sd card.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
 
dilinger1111
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 10
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
I am having some screen issues with my doubleshot. Basically my screen would not turn on but I know everything still works. I am able to listen to music, pick up calls, unlock the phone, etc.

It seems to happen randomly. Pressing the middle button or the power button only makes the buttons glow but doesn't turn on the screen.

Pulling out the battery and forcing the phone to restart solves the problem. Is there a solution or a more graceful way of getting the screen to come back on?

Edit:
Forgot to mention that it happens to my on JellyBean DS and KitKat DS by Emmanuel U.
Was using CM 9.1 by scverhagen and the issue doesn't happen as often. Once a week where has the JB and KK happens atleast once a day.

I've seen this happen as well with various roms as well (including 9.1). I currently am using tbalden's 10.1, and haven't seen it in forever. I don't know if he fixed it, or I've just been lucky.
 
m3gz
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
I have a feeling that it might be the minimum frequency processor settings. The default settings that Emmanuel set seem pretty aggressive.

I am going to:
  • increase my minimum frequency to 540MHz (and incrementally lower it until it becomes unstable)
  • keep my maximum frequency at 1512 MHz
  • set CPU governor to ONDEMAND

Battery shouldn't be too much of a problem for me since I upgraded to 3500 mAh.

daswerk, have you tried playing around with your processor settings?
The Following User Says Thank You to m3gz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Ziida
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 191
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
I have a feeling that it might be the minimum frequency processor settings. The default settings that Emmanuel set seem pretty aggressive.

I am going to:
  • increase my minimum frequency to 540MHz (and incrementally lower it until it becomes unstable)
  • keep my maximum frequency at 1512 MHz
  • set CPU governor to ONDEMAND

Battery shouldn't be too much of a problem for me since I upgraded to 3500 mAh.

daswerk, have you tried playing around with your processor settings?

540 minimum sounds a bit high to me unless your phone wasn't stable on stock ROM either. Maybe try 192? You could also try lowering your max to the stock 1.2ghz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ziida For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
daswerk
Old
#6  
daswerk's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 32
Join Date: May 2011
Location: El Paso, TX
I keep mine at 1512 too. Low at 192, going to try 384 for a bit. I have not had the problem for awhile though.

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
 
m3gz
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziida View Post
540 minimum sounds a bit high to me unless your phone wasn't stable on stock ROM either. Maybe try 192? You could also try lowering your max to the stock 1.2ghz
Thanks for the advice.
I remember having my max frequency at 1512 MHz before so I thought that wasn't a problem.
So far 540 MHz minimum has kept my phone from going blank. I'll try 192 Mhz next
 
Saem persun
Old
#8  
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 96
Join Date: Jul 2012
I've tried to set 192 Mhz as a minimum rate - and got black screen anyway.
 
m3gz
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saem persun View Post
I've tried to set 192 Mhz as a minimum rate - and got black screen anyway.
192 MHz worked for me. You can try doing something extreme like what I did to see if it's the minimum frequency. It may decrease battery a bit but it's better than having the annoying black screen. I tried 540MHz as a test frequency.

Not all processors are the equal. So what may work for some may not work for others.
 
joel.maxuel
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 16
Join Date: Feb 2014
Same problem here. Black screen on Doubleshot with CM 10.1. Made me really concerned when it happened, as I was was reading the hardware maintenance thread earlier today (for fun) so I thought the LCD went.

This is the first time this has happened in the three weeks I had this phone, and I've been on 10.1 for almost a week now.

Because battery life[1] is an issue for me as well, I edged things up only slightly (from 96 MHz to 128), hopefully that will do to the trick. If not, I will try 192 MHz.

[1] Speaking of which, any tricks on keeping battery usage low? I use Deep Sleep Battery Saver which helps out a lot. And I'm selective about my apps (removed Songza because it was hanging around while closed, eating up battery life). GPS stays off, although I keep Wi-Fi and 3G on. It looks like the screen becomes the biggest draw at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

Primary Phone: HTC MyTouch 4G Slide (Doubleshot) running CyanogenMod 10.1
Backup Phone: Samsung Infuse 4G (i997R) running CyanogenMod 10.1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

UnbelovedHosts Uses Xposed to Block Unwanted Connections

First popularized by mvps, hosts-based ad blocking has become the de facto standard … more

March of the Droids 2014 Just Two Weeks Away; It’s Not Too Late to Register

If you want to attend an Android developers’ … more

Android App Review: Auto Config Free – XDA Developer TV

In this weeks episode of XDA Xposed Tuesday, we talked about customization of … more

Cloupload is a Beautiful and Fully Functional CloudApp Client for Android

If you’re a Mac OS X user who frequently uploads screenshots, … more