XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Strange Battery voltage reading

Tip us?

vkk178
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Default [Q] Strange Battery voltage reading

I am getting strange battery voltage readings while the battery is fully charged . Ideally the peak voltage should not cross 4.2 volts for Li-ion batteries ,IMHO . Also I saw the Moto G review on Anandtech where the battery voltage is given as 3.8 V . But my battery reads a voltage of more than 4.3 volts . So I'm a bit worried about the long term reliability of this battery or my battery in particular . Has any one else checked this on their Moto G . You can see this info by using the secret dial code *#*#4636#*#* ( Lots of other interesting stuff under this menu )

I have a dual SIM variant of this phone .
Brain waved using the brain

neu - smurph
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkk178 View Post
I am getting strange battery voltage readings while the battery is fully charged . Ideally the peak voltage should not cross 4.2 volts for Li-ion batteries ,IMHO . Also I saw the Moto G review on Anandtech where the battery voltage is given as 3.8 V . But my battery reads a voltage of more than 4.3 volts . So I'm a bit worried about the long term reliability of this battery or my battery in particular . Has any one else checked this on their Moto G . You can see this info by using the secret dial code *#*#4636#*#* ( Lots of other interesting stuff under this menu )

I have a dual SIM variant of this phone .
I don't think it's an issue, mine peaks at 4.325 as it approaches full charge (it's above 4.2 from about 80% up when charging), it will then 'relax' to 4.194 once at 100% (even if still plugged). Other devices I own do similar. 3.8v is the nominal ideal voltage when the battery is least stressed (about 55% capacity) and perfect for long time battery storage.

If you wanted to be utterly anal about preserving your battery for eternity the strategy is never let it discharge below about 30% and never let it charge above around 70%. Lions will last for years and years and tens of thousands of charge cycles in those circumstances with no loss in capacity.

vkk178
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by neu - smurph View Post
I don't think it's an issue, mine peaks at 4.325 as it approaches full charge (it's above 4.2 from about 80% up when charging), it will then 'relax' to 4.194 once at 100% (even if still plugged). Other devices I own do similar. 3.8v is the nominal ideal voltage when the battery is least stressed (about 55% capacity) and perfect for long time battery storage.

If you wanted to be utterly anal about preserving your battery for eternity the strategy is never let it discharge below about 30% and never let it charge above around 70%. Lions will last for years and years and tens of thousands of charge cycles in those circumstances with no loss in capacity.
I own another droid device and the removable battery is rated 4.2 V 1500 mah. During charging it peaks to slightly under 4.2 V and reaches about 3.8 V at about 50 % .So it is safely under the 4.2 voltage limit. . Also many articles on battery university talk about 4.2 V being the peak . Hence the query

Is this the same observed by other Moto G owners ?

quizmaniac
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Mines also 4.3V at or near fully charged.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Motorola Moto G

jaspreet997
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Maybe Its the moto g's secret of extra long battery life.....dangerously overcharging enabled by default (Also called bump charging)
Bump charging is known to destroy battery life
And since battery is internal...more profits for moto when people come to get them replaced WIN WIN!!

vkk178
Old
(Last edited by vkk178; 19th February 2014 at 02:44 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Hey I guess some users have had this phone for a week . Can some onecheck and post the peak battery voltage ? Mine has reduced from 4.33 to about 4.25 .Also looks like the battery life has reduced a bit

Also how does one reset the battery calibration . Is it by keeping the power button pressed and letting reboot twice?
Tags
battery, moto g