5,598,086 Members 42,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to output to TV?

Tip us?
 
Android Attack
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 103
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Default [Q] How to output to TV?

I've been trying to figure out how to mirror my Nexus 7's display to my standard TV. I believe I need a composite cable to do this. Is there any way I can directly output from the Nexus 7 to composite? Or do I have to go Nexus 7 > HDMI > HDMI to Composite Converter > TV? I'm just searching around for the cheapest possible solution, thanks!
 
Sevenarth
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Attack View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to mirror my Nexus 7's display to my standard TV. I believe I need a composite cable to do this. Is there any way I can directly output from the Nexus 7 to composite? Or do I have to go Nexus 7 > HDMI > HDMI to Composite Converter > TV? I'm just searching around for the cheapest possible solution, thanks!
That's a mess lol, so many adaptors, anyway for getting hdmi signal from the nexus 7 you would use a Slimport Adaptor like this, or you can use the official Slimport brand adaptor for 15 bucks more, the
The Following User Says Thank You to Sevenarth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Android Attack
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 103
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenarth View Post
That's a mess lol, so many adaptors, anyway for getting hdmi signal from the nexus 7 you would use a Slimport Adaptor like this, or you can use the official Slimport brand adaptor for 15 bucks more, the
Well, I'm searching for a method that does not involve HDMI. That will be most cost efficient and have less cables. I don't have an HDTV so I need a composite cable. Thanks!
 
z0phi3l
Old
#4  
z0phi3l's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 122
Posts: 385
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Waterbury
Chromecast

Sent from my One using Tapatalk


Phones:
MyTouch 3G, Nexus One, Galaxy Vibrant, Galaxy S3, Nexus 4, HTC One, LG G2
 
Sevenarth
Old
(Last edited by Sevenarth; 18th January 2014 at 10:14 PM.)
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Attack View Post
Well, I'm searching for a method that does not involve HDMI. That will be most cost efficient and have less cables. I don't have an HDTV so I need a composite cable. Thanks!
Yeah i know what are you trying to do, but actually the only way to get wired audio/video signal is to use the slimport adaptor. (With wireless you would use Miracast but this isn't your case) So in your case you must use the slimport, the hdmi to composite adaptor and i think you should be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sevenarth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Android Attack
Old
#6  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 103
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenarth View Post
Yeah i know what are you trying to do, but actually the only way to get wired audio/video signal is to use the slimport adaptor. (With wireless you would use Miracast but this isn't your case) So in your case you must use the slimport, the hdmi to composite adaptor and i think you should be good.
Okay, thanks! If I purchase the Official SlimPort, will I be able to mirror both the Nexus 7 and other Samsung devices? Or just Nexus devices? Thanks.
 
Sevenarth
Old
(Last edited by Sevenarth; 18th January 2014 at 11:59 PM.)
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Attack View Post
Okay, thanks! If I purchase the Official SlimPort, will I be able to mirror both the Nexus 7 and other Samsung devices? Or just Nexus devices? Thanks.
It would work fine with every device that support Slimport, newer devices do like LG G2, G Pad 8.3, Nexus 5 and so on. But you should check on the specifications of your devices. Before Slimport productors used to support MHL, which is almost the same but it keeps busy the USB port and on display that doesn't support MHL you should even buy an adapter which even needs external power supply.. if you can see on the Analogix Slimport adaptor you got a microUSB and the HDMI, the first is just for using it as the device one and HDMI for streaming. I was reading that Slimport has some limitations about the length of the HDMI cable, something like that it needs to be not longer than 50 centimeters otherwise you'd encounter problems..

Anyway i think that the Slimport adapter that costs just 15 bucks will be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sevenarth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Android Attack
Old
#8  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Posts: 103
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenarth View Post
It would work fine with every device that support Slimport, newer devices do like LG G2, G Pad 8.3, Nexus 5 and so on. But you should check on the specifications of your devices. Before Slimport productors used to support MHL, which is almost the same but it keeps busy the USB port and on display that doesn't support MHL you should even buy an adapter which even needs external power supply.. if you can see on the Analogix Slimport adaptor you got a microUSB and the HDMI, the first is just for using it as the device one and HDMI for streaming. I was reading that Slimport has some limitations about the length of the HDMI cable, something like that it needs to be not longer than 50 centimeters otherwise you'd encounter problems..

Anyway i think that the Slimport adapter that costs just 15 bucks will be great.
Alright, looks like the SlimPort isn't going to work with the Samsung devices. Is there a cheap alternative so I can switch between Nexus 7 and the other devices? Specifically the S3 and S2 (Epic 4G Touch)

Thanks!
 
Sevenarth
Old
(Last edited by Sevenarth; 19th January 2014 at 12:55 AM.)
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 18
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Attack View Post
Alright, looks like the SlimPort isn't going to work with the Samsung devices. Is there a cheap alternative so I can switch between Nexus 7 and the other devices? Specifically the S3 and S2 (Epic 4G Touch)

Thanks!
I think the only way is to use Wi-Fi Direct/DLNA. If you're gonna cast your screen just for viewing youtube, netflix and stuff like that, you could use the Chromecast, which does that particular job. It can't cast the entire screen but movies, audio (and other DLNA stuff) and compatible apps (you need to see on its webpage) can right now. To cast the entire screen you would need the Miracast technology but i don't know if there are any good dongles on the market that permit to do that as chromecast does. I hope you know what I mean, i'm not a native english speaker

You should take a look at the Chromecast if that can do what you need, or you can see Miracast dongles like this but i can't suggest anything
 
gotzaDroid
Old
#10  
gotzaDroid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 526
Join Date: Sep 2012
OK, I'm trying to do the same. I bought a slimport adapter and a HDMI to composite adapter. My N7 works just fine from slimport to HDMI to the TV, but doesn't work when I add the HDMI to composite adapter. However, if I hook my cable box through HDMI to the composite adapter, all works well. So its something from that slimport out of the tablet to the other adapter. What I'm trying to do is get the display mirrored in my van for the kids and the van only has composite inputs. I'm at a loss.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes