Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 45,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrading to 4.4 modem

Tip us?

knightnz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Upgrading to 4.4 modem

I've upgrade my N9005 to 4.4.2, it's still on the 4.3 modem though, so I tried updating using the standalone NA2 modem image via Odin, looks like it flashed ok, boot into the OS, still says baseband is MJ7.

Flashed the entire 2.2GB XEO release of 4.4.2 which has the modem in it, same thing, OS flashes fine, no errors but once in the OS, baseband is still MJ7.

Is there some trick to getting this flashed correctly?
---

Spelling essentials:
1) There is NO SUCH WORD as "alot" - It's "a lot"
2) The shortened form of You are is You're - NOT Your
3) Loosing & Loose have completely different meanings to Losing & Lose.

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
I've upgrade my N9005 to 4.4.2, it's still on the 4.3 modem though, so I tried updating using the standalone NA2 modem image via Odin, looks like it flashed ok, boot into the OS, still says baseband is MJ7.

Flashed the entire 2.2GB XEO release of 4.4.2 which has the modem in it, same thing, OS flashes fine, no errors but once in the OS, baseband is still MJ7.

Is there some trick to getting this flashed correctly?
With modems you have to flash it once, reboot then flash it again once or twice more. Not sure why but that's apparently the correct way.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

knightnz
Old
(Last edited by knightnz; 27th January 2014 at 12:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
Hmm, tried Download mode --> Flash, immediately boot back into Download mode --> Flash, boot into OS, reboot into Download mode & flash again. Still no joy. Another couple of reboots & flashes for good measure, no dice.

Can't imagine it'd make a difference, but it there a CWM flashable version of the NA2 modem somewhere? Can't seem to find one anywhere, probably because it's a brick-maker?

Everything seems to work perfectly happily on the older baseband, maybe I should just leave well enough alone. If they've somehow fixed the woeful Compass & GPS performance with the new baseband (is it even related?) then that would interest me greatly however.
---

Spelling essentials:

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1,403

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Hmm, tried Download mode --> Flash, immediately boot back into Download mode --> Flash, boot into OS, reboot into Download mode & flash again. Still no joy. Another couple of reboots & flashes for good measure, no dice.

Can't imagine it'd make a difference, but it there a CWM flashable version of the NA2 modem somewhere? Can't seem to find one anywhere, probably because it's a brick-maker?

Everything seems to work perfectly happily on the older baseband, maybe I should just leave well enough alone. If they've somehow fixed the woeful Compass & GPS performance with the new baseband (is it even related?) then that would interest me greatly however.
Yup a brickmaker indeed, modems can be a real ballache and can destroy your phone if they mess up, If it works fine I'd suggest leaving it, AFAIK the GPS and Compass issue has not been fixed.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knightnz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
I had another crack at it, still no dice with Odin, but I used TriangleAway to reset the Binary status to "official" (took a couple of tries), then used MobileOdin to flash both modem's (Presumably one is the .img and other the .bin from the .tar.md5 file) and it finally worked!

Interesting that it worked with Mobile but not the desktop client.

Can't tell any actual difference so far of course, but maybe it does something beneficial versus the MJ baseband.
---

Spelling essentials:

zipper3
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I had another crack at it, still no dice with Odin, but I used TriangleAway to reset the Binary status to "official" (took a couple of tries), then used MobileOdin to flash both modem's (Presumably one is the .img and other the .bin from the .tar.md5 file) and it finally worked!

Interesting that it worked with Mobile but not the desktop client.

Can't tell any actual difference so far of course, but maybe it does something beneficial versus the MJ baseband.
I have got the same issue. I'm on KitKat 4.4.2 and baseband is still MJ7. Phone seems working smoothly.

Rosli59564
Old
Thanks Meter 145
Does that means you can downgrade to 4.3?

knightnz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 243

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosli59564 View Post
Does that means you can downgrade to 4.3?
The baseband is the modem, not the bootloader. It's the bootloader that gets you "stuck" on 4.4
---

Spelling essentials:

Tags
modem na2 n9005 kitkat odin