Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,814 Members 51,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help with root/s-off

Tip us?

danregueira
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help with root/s-off

Hey guys,

So my ultimate goal was to basically have my phone be like the Google play edition or the nexus 5. I want just pure android without bloatware or HTC.

I'm a newb to android but I tried regular rooting then realized couldn't with Verizon. I then tried the s-off method with rumrunner on linux and the problem is that it keeps telling me I need to be rooted for it to work.

Don't quite understand what's going on here. Guidance would be much appreciated.

nty123
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by danregueira View Post
Hey guys,

So my ultimate goal was to basically have my phone be like the Google play edition or the nexus 5. I want just pure android without bloatware or HTC.

I'm a newb to android but I tried regular rooting then realized couldn't with Verizon. I then tried the s-off method with rumrunner on linux and the problem is that it keeps telling me I need to be rooted for it to work.

Don't quite understand what's going on here. Guidance would be much appreciated.
you can use firewater to achieve s-off
The Following User Says Thank You to nty123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danregueira
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123 View Post
Thanks. I'll try this soon. If I rub into proteins I'll be sure to come back here.

danregueira
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nty123 View Post
The temproot and firewater files aren't executable by Windows 8.1

I changed the extension to .exe but nothing happens when I double click or run as administrator.

dottat
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 987

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks. I'll try this soon. If I rub into proteins I'll be sure to come back here.
Woah cowboy...sounds like tmi

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dottat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cmlusco
Old
Thanks Meter 922

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The temproot and firewater files aren't executable by Windows 8.1

I changed the extension to .exe but nothing happens when I double click or run as administrator.
They are not ment to be executed by windows. They are pushed to and executed from the phone using adb shell.
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET
The Following User Says Thank You to cmlusco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

danregueira
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco View Post
They are not ment to be executed by windows. They are pushed to and executed from the phone using adb shell.
Oh, I see. Thank you C3PO. I'm not quite sure how to do that but I'll give it a shot when I'm home.

danregueira
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco View Post
Success! Thank you so much for your guidance. I figured out how to properly do it all in the command prompt.

Now I need to root the device and run a ROM that makes it like the google play edition.