Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,262 Members 50,625 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No audio from headphone jack or loudspeaker. Only earpiece makes sound

Tip us?

the jew hunter
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] No audio from headphone jack or loudspeaker. Only earpiece makes sound

Rooted s-on amaze No audio from loudspeaker or headphone jack. Only earpiece or bluetooth make sound. Phone just went for warranty a month ago and they said they replaced the motherboard. Now I a couple weeks out of warranty and they are telling me tough luck. Lucky me... What could cause this? I have tried several different firmwares, kernels including going back to stock. No change.

Doesn't look like a common issue. I can't find any info on this that helped at all. Please help.

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Just going out on a limb here, the phone's already been repaired at least once--I would suspect a bad component.
Amaze 4G Unlocked Rooted S-off (Juopunutbear) SuperCID 4EXT CM10

This is not haiku.
Nor does it profess to be.
Android in Springtime.
The Following User Says Thank You to pbergonzi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Odysseus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergonzi View Post
Just going out on a limb here, the phone's already been repaired at least once--I would suspect a bad component.
+1
Seems like a logical diagnosis to me too. It could be anything from a bad headphone jack or speaker to a failed board component. The fact that you've had it serviced before for the same issue suggests it wasn't properly repaired the first time. Sorry, but this doesn't sound like a software issue.
Current device: LG G2 (D801)
ROM: Stock KK-4.4.2 - rooted and debloated by me.
An incredible handset. The first smartphone I've owned where I didn't immediately replace the stock ROM.

Previous device: HTC Amaze 4G
Final ROM: CM-10 - Compiled and customized by me
To whoever stole it: What goes around comes around!

Previous device: HTC HD2 (TMOUS - LEO1024)
Final ROM: NexusHD2-JellyBean-CM10.1.3 v2.7 - Tytung
Had more lives than a cat
Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RIP

the jew hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for quick reply. Guess its tough s*** for me

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Symptoms--did it just stop out of nowhere, or did you install something and it stopped? If it just stopped out of nowhere, go fishing around in the phone, see if there's some kinda loose cable or if the earplug assembly is loose or something. Much of troubleshooting is just discovery. Amaze are pretty affordable if you have to replace it--check craigslist or swappa. Maybe your provider will set you up with something, doesn't even have to be Amaze for you to have functionality.

This is not haiku.
Android in Springtime.

marshallrounds
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the very same problem and this is the first thing I've seen about it. No sound from loud speaker or headphone jack. I haven't pinpointed something I installed to make it quit working, I've tried different roms, etc to see if it would work. No luck. The sound even decides to work every couple weeks for a total of maybe a minute and it stops again. If anyone discovers a solution I'm all ears. I have no warranty, I'm on T-Mobile with a no contract plan. Thanks for any help..

the jew hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am waiting on some micro torx bits to do some exploratory diagnosis. I do have an electronics/electrical background but my skills are limited in this case to monkeying with connections and perhaps some basic metering. I will post when I have done so. i have a feeling it is likely a loose/poor connection that has caused this since it has only just come back from repair and the motherboard was supposedly replaced. However, wether or not the put a NEW board in is an unknown.

In terms sysptoms and there was no audio distortion or any signs of any thing wrong at all before. This was sudden and without warning. It was not in the middle of use of the head p. jack or the loud speaker either. I had not installed any apps for at least a few days before this happened so I am inclined to not believe it is software related.

So far I am stumped we will see what happens when I do a little surgery. If the patient dies I will go by a S3...People still want 120 bucks here for their amazes.Thanks all for input.

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 108
To @the jew hunterhunter--your troubleshooting skills are similar to mine--poke around--and then some. Poking is especially is especially handy when the problems are physical.
Clever "replaced but don't know if it was new."
Good luck in your investigation.
I know the headphone jack itself can be problematic, something in the design that can allow just a tiny displacement of the plug to result in disconnection, don't know if purchasable replacements are better or not, however that is probably completely unrelated to your sound issues. Yet..., I would look at that component first.
I am glad you will post results.
To @marshallrounds, you can see from this thread that it is probably hardware, as no one else has found or mentioned any software-caused issues or fixes.

This is not haiku.
Android in Springtime.

the jew hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default no workie

So i tried to goof with it but there was nothing I could do with my limited poking and hoping skills. Must be a bad component or some microcode glitch. Out of my hands so I bought a used nexus 4 for 190$ MUCH HAPPIER NOW nexus 4 makes the amaze look like a bad joke. Thanks to amaze ppl out there for everything tho!

pbergonzi
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by the jew hunter View Post
So i tried to goof with it but there was nothing I could do with my limited poking and hoping skills. Must be a bad component or some microcode glitch. Out of my hands so I bought a used nexus 4 for 190$ MUCH HAPPIER NOW nexus 4 makes the amaze look like a bad joke. Thanks to amaze ppl out there for everything tho!
There ya go.

This is not haiku.
Android in Springtime.