Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Cyanogenmod 11

OP Atlantic_Rim

13th February 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #11  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
OK, and I've a few questions again :

If I flash updates directly from CM updater, is it like official updates from Motorola ? I won't lose all my data ?
Because I don't want to lose everything every time a new release come out
13th February 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #12  
Flag herne bay
Thanks Meter: 71

565 posts
More
U dont lose data, only if u do a factory reset, i do a cache and dalvick wipe, never had any problems doing that

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
13th February 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will8578

U dont lose data, only if u do a factory reset, i do a cache and dalvick wipe, never had any problems doing that

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

OK thanks, then I think I will flash the unofficial ROM when I have time
14th February 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #14  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,759

13,519 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic_Rim

OK, and I've a few questions again :

If I flash updates directly from CM updater, is it like official updates from Motorola ? I won't lose all my data ?
Because I don't want to lose everything every time a new release come out

If people had to wipe every time they flashed an updated, nightlies wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

In general:
1) If you're coming from another project (CM to Omni or vice versa, or any of those to/from stock) you'll need to wipe. Titanium Backup and/or even Androids 'adb backup' can save a lot of time here
2) If you're coming from a previous version of the same project (An unofficial CM build to official nightlies, and subsequent nightlies) you should only have to wipe if someone screwed up
2b) You can usually even do version upgrades this way - e.g. CM10.2 to CM11, although of course this device never saw 10.2 except possibly some super-pre-alpha builds

One exception you may see down the line - with the formation of Cyanogen Inc (aka Cyngn), there are now two release streams. The Community stream (classic nightlies and such) and the "Pro" or "Cyngn" or whatever it's called now release stream. The most obvious example of this right now is CM10.2 on the Oppo N1 - you can't transition between this and community builds without wiping to my knowledge. It's not a big issue now but might be something you need to watch out for in the future.
15th February 2014, 07:05 PM   |  #15  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

If people had to wipe every time they flashed an updated, nightlies wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

In general:
1) If you're coming from another project (CM to Omni or vice versa, or any of those to/from stock) you'll need to wipe. Titanium Backup and/or even Androids 'adb backup' can save a lot of time here
2) If you're coming from a previous version of the same project (An unofficial CM build to official nightlies, and subsequent nightlies) you should only have to wipe if someone screwed up
2b) You can usually even do version upgrades this way - e.g. CM10.2 to CM11, although of course this device never saw 10.2 except possibly some super-pre-alpha builds

One exception you may see down the line - with the formation of Cyanogen Inc (aka Cyngn), there are now two release streams. The Community stream (classic nightlies and such) and the "Pro" or "Cyngn" or whatever it's called now release stream. The most obvious example of this right now is CM10.2 on the Oppo N1 - you can't transition between this and community builds without wiping to my knowledge. It's not a big issue now but might be something you need to watch out for in the future.

Ok thanks for the informations ! After one hour of intense fighting with my computer, I finally unlocked bootloader, rooted, and flashed cyanogenmod I prefer this rom to the stock one, I find it more smooth, and more costumization
15th February 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
i think its ok for daily use. At least i use it everyday.
16th February 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 7

42 posts
I posted this question in a couple other places, but no reply.

I have the GPE version of the Moto G, and I want to run the CM11 builds on it.

Will the fact that the GPE version has the ext4 fs on it prevent me from getting these to work?

I know there are recoveries available specifically for the GPE, but will getting the CM11 builds to work be just a matter of changing a few entries in fstab?

And finally, do either of the recoveries allow you ro format /data from either f2fs to ext4 or the other way around?

Thanks/
19th February 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 23

105 posts
More
I've replaced stock Rom (4.4.2 US Global Version) for unofficial CM11 (2014-02-16's release) and for now CM works more stable than stock.
I had few reboots or issue with .flac, in CM's everything is OK, for now of course. Very good stuff even that is only nightly's release.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread