Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,312 Members 52,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cyanogenmod 11

Tip us?

Atlantic_Rim
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
OK, and I've a few questions again :

If I flash updates directly from CM updater, is it like official updates from Motorola ? I won't lose all my data ?
Because I don't want to lose everything every time a new release come out

will8578
Old
Thanks Meter 71
U dont lose data, only if u do a factory reset, i do a cache and dalvick wipe, never had any problems doing that

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
MotoG CM11 latest nightly

Android...Phone...History...
T-Mobile-Pulse---HTC Wildfire---ZTE Blade---HTC Desire---Xperia Play---HTC evo3d----sgs3 ---- sg note 2 ----- MotoG-UK

Android...Tablet...History...
Scroll 7inch---Hannspree Hannspad---Asus Transformer tf101----MOTOROLA XOOM

Atlantic_Rim
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by will8578 View Post
U dont lose data, only if u do a factory reset, i do a cache and dalvick wipe, never had any problems doing that

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
OK thanks, then I think I will flash the unofficial ROM when I have time

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24188

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic_Rim View Post
OK, and I've a few questions again :

If I flash updates directly from CM updater, is it like official updates from Motorola ? I won't lose all my data ?
Because I don't want to lose everything every time a new release come out
If people had to wipe every time they flashed an updated, nightlies wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

In general:
1) If you're coming from another project (CM to Omni or vice versa, or any of those to/from stock) you'll need to wipe. Titanium Backup and/or even Androids 'adb backup' can save a lot of time here
2) If you're coming from a previous version of the same project (An unofficial CM build to official nightlies, and subsequent nightlies) you should only have to wipe if someone screwed up
2b) You can usually even do version upgrades this way - e.g. CM10.2 to CM11, although of course this device never saw 10.2 except possibly some super-pre-alpha builds

One exception you may see down the line - with the formation of Cyanogen Inc (aka Cyngn), there are now two release streams. The Community stream (classic nightlies and such) and the "Pro" or "Cyngn" or whatever it's called now release stream. The most obvious example of this right now is CM10.2 on the Oppo N1 - you can't transition between this and community builds without wiping to my knowledge. It's not a big issue now but might be something you need to watch out for in the future.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

Atlantic_Rim
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
If people had to wipe every time they flashed an updated, nightlies wouldn't be as popular as they are now.

In general:
1) If you're coming from another project (CM to Omni or vice versa, or any of those to/from stock) you'll need to wipe. Titanium Backup and/or even Androids 'adb backup' can save a lot of time here
2) If you're coming from a previous version of the same project (An unofficial CM build to official nightlies, and subsequent nightlies) you should only have to wipe if someone screwed up
2b) You can usually even do version upgrades this way - e.g. CM10.2 to CM11, although of course this device never saw 10.2 except possibly some super-pre-alpha builds

One exception you may see down the line - with the formation of Cyanogen Inc (aka Cyngn), there are now two release streams. The Community stream (classic nightlies and such) and the "Pro" or "Cyngn" or whatever it's called now release stream. The most obvious example of this right now is CM10.2 on the Oppo N1 - you can't transition between this and community builds without wiping to my knowledge. It's not a big issue now but might be something you need to watch out for in the future.
Ok thanks for the informations ! After one hour of intense fighting with my computer, I finally unlocked bootloader, rooted, and flashed cyanogenmod I prefer this rom to the stock one, I find it more smooth, and more costumization

matixz3
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i think its ok for daily use. At least i use it everyday.

dgauze
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I posted this question in a couple other places, but no reply.

I have the GPE version of the Moto G, and I want to run the CM11 builds on it.

Will the fact that the GPE version has the ext4 fs on it prevent me from getting these to work?

I know there are recoveries available specifically for the GPE, but will getting the CM11 builds to work be just a matter of changing a few entries in fstab?

And finally, do either of the recoveries allow you ro format /data from either f2fs to ext4 or the other way around?

Thanks/

=dgim=
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I've replaced stock Rom (4.4.2 US Global Version) for unofficial CM11 (2014-02-16's release) and for now CM works more stable than stock.
I had few reboots or issue with .flac, in CM's everything is OK, for now of course. Very good stuff even that is only nightly's release.