Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,029 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't decide if I need 32GB or 64GB model

Tip us?

camspy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
Default Can't decide if I need 32GB or 64GB model

Could you help me decide?
I want to browse internet, read ebooks, have 100 apps/games installed and have it running smooth.
I have a speady 64GB external SD card.

Do I really need the 64GB model?

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 146
You may think that you provided enough info to get help but you missed the fact that what matters is the size of the applications not the quantity of them alone. If you're using games that have huge storage requirements then only you can account for that, not the community.

There is already a thread about how much free space to expect from a 32gb model (about 25gb) so do your own estimating.
The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy996 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wmarcin
Old
Thanks Meter 34
No need for 64 GB. 32 GB should do just fine, especially with a 64GB external SD card.

Edit: I've been asking myself the same question. I just can't justify paying $100 for 32 GB extra.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Fizzler73
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I think is a question many of us ask. Some Apps, specially some of the HQ racing games and FPS take up a fair amount of space. You can offload much of the content to the external drive. I personally always opt for the highest storage.

camspy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 216
I don't play much games usually, so I can live without heavy gaming
I also generally thing that 64gb is the way to go but 64gb mean that the tablet is not yet released for sale and it will be much more pricey...

So I try to convince myself that 32gb + 64gb SD is OK

bitpushr
Old
XDA:Administrator
Thanks Meter 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by camspy View Post
I don't play much games usually, so I can live without heavy gaming
I also generally thing that 64gb is the way to go but 64gb mean that the tablet is not yet released for sale and it will be much more pricey...

So I try to convince myself that 32gb + 64gb SD is OK
Another vote for 32GB+64GB.

Although, I can't seem to write to the external SD card, apparently this is an issue with 4.4.2
Current Phone: Nexus 5 (Android L) | Oppo Find 5 (Omni)

Past Phones: Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy SIII i9300, HTC One X, Galaxy Note, iPhone 4S, 4, 3G, 3 (Jailbroken), Motorola V360, HTC TyTN
Past Tablets/Devices: Arnova 10G2, Asus EEEPC 900a, IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads

Beowulf_pt
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I also vote for 32 + 64.

Of course it depends on how you use the device. I'm not a "cloud" lover and prefer to have stuff on it rather than dropboxed, etc.

In my use cases, I only really need lots of space when I take it for a vacation and want to take movies/tv shows along. If we're talking 720p or 1080p, then the files can be pretty big. Another use is music, I use lossless (.flac) a lot and they're also bigger.

Still, you can always buy a 128 GB card later (I'm sure they'll be compatible and cheaper in some time) and you can also connect an external portable hard drive via USB3, if ocasionally you really need to take lots of data along. The only catch is that I think NTFS is not supported.
---
Samsung GS2 i9100 + Samsung NOTE II N7100

omegafiler
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Unless you have a ton of very large apps/games that can't use external storage, 32gb with sd should work for most folks. I just re encode my videos without HD audio and they fit fine on my 64gb sd. If I need anymore, I'll use my ext 1tb hd with the otg adapter. In either case, an extra 32gb wouldn't make a huge difference for me, and certainly not worth $100.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

muzzy996
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Agree with the 32gb recommendation. Just be aware of the issues with writing to external SD cards on Kitkat. If you use AirDroid for transfer of files to your tablet over WiFi it could be an issue.

enragedpaza
Old
Thanks Meter 15
This is something I had an issue with, which one to get. Best Buy solved that for me by only having the 32gb version. While I'm the store, I thought about this, get an external hard drive and have even more memory. So, I bought a 1tb hard drive for 65 (on sale) and hooked it up using a USB otg cable. For less than the price of the 64gb model, I have more memory now

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Device: iPhone 64g 4s
There is no need to fight in forums, nothing is accomplished by doing so. Except bruised Ego's and 5 more pages to read through.
GOOD BYE ANDROID