Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 50,665 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

porting a note3 rom to note 2014

Tip us?

deagleonvalium
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Tutorial porting a note3 rom to note 2014

its been awhile since I've done any work on a rom I used to do some stuff with MIUI. What I did with that was mostly simple stuff from phone to phone. The question is if I wanted to port a note3 ROM over to my new 2014 what would I need to change besides the kernel, the build.prop I just can't figure out what else?

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by deagleonvalium View Post
its been awhile since I've done any work on a rom I used to do some stuff with MIUI. What I did with that was mostly simple stuff from phone to phone. The question is if I wanted to port a note3 ROM over to my new 2014 what would I need to change besides the kernel, the build.prop I just can't figure out what else?
If it's Kitkat you're after you're out of luck... The note 3 needs updated bootloader to run KK, and once upgraded there's no going back to JB...
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...

mrtoast
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Id love to see an AOSP ROM

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69 View Post
If it's Kitkat you're after you're out of luck... The note 3 needs updated bootloader to run KK, and once upgraded there's no going back to JB...
Uhm there are dozens of note 3 Kitkat custom roms he could port, and he obviously knows that. Don't waste space with non productive dribble.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
Uhm there are dozens of note 3 Kitkat custom roms he could port, and he obviously knows that. Don't waste space with non productive dribble.

And each of them use the KK bootloader... Not non-productive dribble (drivel) if its actually relevant unless you want to test and see if the Note 3 KK bootloader won't brick your lovely expensive toy...
Maybe you should check things out before spouting non relevant drivel....

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramag69 View Post
And each of them use the KK bootloader... Not non-productive dribble (drivel) if its actually relevant unless you want to test and see if the Note 3 KK bootloader won't brick your lovely expensive toy...
Maybe you should check things out before spouting non relevant drivel....
The Canadian note 3 can flash back because of fewer restrictions. No reason to assume the tablet is more secure when that is never the case.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

And he could pry the room itself after our kitkat bootloader is released

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
The Canadian note 3 can flash back because of fewer restrictions. No reason to assume the tablet is more secure when that is never the case.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

And he could pry the room itself after our kitkat bootloader is released

True the Canadian Note 3 has looser restrictions but that is a VERY small percentage of Note 3's in the world.
Based on the statistics this does not bode well for the International version either exynos or qualcomm...
I'm not assuming the P60* series is completely locked down but I tend to look at worst case scenarios then work around that.
My job tends to revolve around that so there's no nasty surprises and people ending up dead.... This bleeds through to all facets of my life...

After the KK bootloader is released we will have KK roms... Why try out questionable roms that may or may not work on/brick your device...
Does this seem rational to you?

Duly.noted
Old
Thanks Meter 102
Fairly, Im certain he wouldn't release a port that he hadn't tested. And the rom itself can be flashed separate from the boot loader once we hare the 4.4 boot loader for ours, and rather I believe he intended a non KK rom. however if after 4.4 releases he chooses to its Just a matter of getting the original dev's permission then if a direct port isn't possible checking the dev's change log and replicating it as thoroughly as possible.