5,604,443 Members 48,510 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Qualcomm Hexagon Disassembler?

Tip us?

E:V:A
Old
(Last edited by E:V:A; 13th January 2014 at 12:45 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 1441
Default Qualcomm Hexagon Disassembler?

Anyone Interested?

As our mobile devices are getting more and more locked-up and harder to maintain, it's is surprising that so little effort has been done in vulnerability research of the Qualcomm Hexagon DSP's. After all, these beasts have been roaming around freely in our phone cores for nearly 8 years already. (In all Snapdragons since 2006). But very few, to none of our security experts have had a good look at what's hiding inside.

So what I propose, is that we start an effort to build an Open Source Hexagon Disassembler for public security research of mobile baseband firmware.

The only effort I know of to this date is that made by Jan Willem Hengeveld (itsme), who wrote an IDA module (here) to the best of his abilities. I don't know what is the current status of that today, but the IDA Hexagon module is now hosted at Github HERE by Ralf-Philipp Weinmann (rpw), who reverse engineered parts of the baseband (shown in THIS video) and recently helped expose the insecurity of TOR hidden-services.

I'm not going to answer why this is important at this point, but I'd rather like to know more about what mobile developers in the security field think about this. Highly technical talk is welcome and preferred.

If you have any additional information on how to do this, or what would be required, please chime in!
MSM8960 Info, Architecture and Bootloader(s)
El Grande Partition Table Reference
How to talk to the Modem with AT commands

Want to know when your phone is getting tracked or tapped?

Help us develop the IMSI Catcher / Spy Detector!
(To be part of the EFF & The Guardian Project toolsets.)
I do not answer support related PM's.

The Following User Says Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SecUpwN
Old
Thanks Meter 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by E:V:A View Post
Anyone Interested?
If you have any additional information on how to do this, or what would be required, please chime in!
PUSH! I recommend you to have a chit-chat with developer @c0rnholio, who developed the awesome HushSMS.

ESCAPE SPY ATTACKS ON YOUR SMARTPHONE!
Help us develop the IMSI Catcher / Spy Detector (App-Development on GitHub).
This project aims to be added to the EFF and Guardian Project toolsets. Stay smart, protect yourself.

sebeqone
Old
Thanks Meter 0
That is very interesting topic. I think it will be hard to disassemble the modem/baseband DSP, but it will be easier accessing the multimedia DSP which is open for user programming. There is even a linux project running on hexagon cores
Tags
baseband, disassembler, hexagon, ida, reverse