FORUMS

Google Photos ‘Unlimited’ Storage Reportedly Being Capped

When Google Photos was announced, many of us thought very highly … more

Sprint Moves to Lift Video Streaming Limit for All-In

Yesterday, Sprint announced a new unlimited scheme that offered customers an … more

Xiaomi Releases Kernel Source Code For Mi4i

If you’ve been following the XDA News Portal lately, you might have noticed an … more

How to Listen to Beats 1 on Android Right Now

If you felt a bit left out by Apple launching their own online radio station Beats 1 … more

[Q] Shield and rooting questions

173 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By andsa, Senior Member on 18th February 2014, 05:27 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?
 
 
18th February 2014, 09:07 AM |#2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsa

1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?

You might have to uninstall custom recovery and put stock back on but cwm has been able to handle stock updates in the past just haven't tried it on the shield. You'll have to reroot. Supersu has an option for a full unroot as well.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
18th February 2014, 03:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexitnow

You might have to uninstall custom recovery and put stock back on but cwm has been able to handle stock updates in the past just haven't tried it on the shield. You'll have to reroot. Supersu has an option for a full unroot as well.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.


1: No idea what cwm means
2: The unroot with supersu didnt work at all on my galaxy s4. so im unsure if it will work on the shield.
19th February 2014, 07:04 AM |#4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsa

1: No idea what cwm means
2: The unroot with supersu didnt work at all on my galaxy s4. so im unsure if it will work on the shield.

Something must have happened because the unroot option worked fine on my Verizon s4. Cwm is clockwork mod recovery. Unroot option does work on shield or at least it has on both of mine.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
19th February 2014, 11:28 PM |#5  
psycho1200's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ecatepec
Thanks Meter: 17
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsa

1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?

1.- In my experience CWM does not install my otas so i was getting always errors, but you dont need CWM on your device because there aren't roms and they aren't flasheable files on android development so in my opinion you don't needed (I dont needed)

2.- I had to return to 100% out of the box to get again all the otas installed just because of the error i told you on number 1 so i suggest you not to use a custom recovery if you want to install some mods or some addons to android just use xposed framework
20th February 2014, 01:05 AM |#6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1200

1.- In my experience CWM does not install my otas so i was getting always errors, but you dont need CWM on your device because there aren't roms and they aren't flasheable files on android development so in my opinion you don't needed (I dont needed)

2.- I had to return to 100% out of the box to get again all the otas installed just because of the error i told you on number 1 so i suggest you not to use a custom recovery if you want to install some mods or some addons to android just use xposed framework

I have a feeling there will be a need for cwm soon

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
20th February 2014, 01:10 AM |#7  
xda-napp3's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Iv used triangle away. U install it after root and then u can ota update again. Working on samsung galaxy anyhow

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app
20th February 2014, 01:15 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
What's CWM?
20th February 2014, 01:31 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsa

What's CWM?

Clockwork mod recovery

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes