Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,470 Members 40,535 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Shield and rooting questions

Tip us?

andsa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Shield and rooting questions

1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?

hexitnow
Old
Thanks Meter 335

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsa View Post
1: If i root my shield, can it stil do OTA updates and only need a reroot after each update?

2: if 1 doesnt work, is there then a way to unroot it completly to do the OTA update?
You might have to uninstall custom recovery and put stock back on but cwm has been able to handle stock updates in the past just haven't tried it on the shield. You'll have to reroot. Supersu has an option for a full unroot as well.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.
and-roms.com
Nvidia Shield Root and More

KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ chown -R US ./base
chown: ./base: No such file or directory
KR-1:~ KRIEGER$ mkdir ./base
ownership changed

andsa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexitnow View Post
You might have to uninstall custom recovery and put stock back on but cwm has been able to handle stock updates in the past just haven't tried it on the shield. You'll have to reroot. Supersu has an option for a full unroot as well.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.

1: No idea what cwm means
2: The unroot with supersu didnt work at all on my galaxy s4. so im unsure if it will work on the shield.

hexitnow
Old
Thanks Meter 335

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
1: No idea what cwm means
2: The unroot with supersu didnt work at all on my galaxy s4. so im unsure if it will work on the shield.
Something must have happened because the unroot option worked fine on my Verizon s4. Cwm is clockwork mod recovery. Unroot option does work on shield or at least it has on both of mine.

and-roms.com

ownership changed

psycho1200
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:

1.- In my experience CWM does not install my otas so i was getting always errors, but you dont need CWM on your device because there aren't roms and they aren't flasheable files on android development so in my opinion you don't needed (I dont needed)

2.- I had to return to 100% out of the box to get again all the otas installed just because of the error i told you on number 1 so i suggest you not to use a custom recovery if you want to install some mods or some addons to android just use xposed framework

hexitnow
Old
Thanks Meter 335

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho1200 View Post
1.- In my experience CWM does not install my otas so i was getting always errors, but you dont need CWM on your device because there aren't roms and they aren't flasheable files on android development so in my opinion you don't needed (I dont needed)

2.- I had to return to 100% out of the box to get again all the otas installed just because of the error i told you on number 1 so i suggest you not to use a custom recovery if you want to install some mods or some addons to android just use xposed framework
I have a feeling there will be a need for cwm soon

and-roms.com

ownership changed

xda-napp3
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Iv used triangle away. U install it after root and then u can ota update again. Working on samsung galaxy anyhow

Sent from my GT-N8000 using xda app-developers app

andsa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
What's CWM?

hexitnow
Old
Thanks Meter 335

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
What's CWM?
Clockwork mod recovery

and-roms.com

ownership changed