Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] New Droid Maxx User, a bit confused.....

OP mountaineerndixie

20th February 2014, 03:10 AM   |  #1  
mountaineerndixie's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 44
 
342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
I just purchased a new Droid Maxx and I'm finding it a bit confusing here at XDA. Per System Panel app (Because it's not listed in the "About Phone" section of the settings), I have model XT1080.

1) Is the "Droid Maxx" the same as "Droid Razr Maxx"?
2) This phone has been great out of the box (since bloatware can be disabled), so has rooting/custom ROM use been favorable for most?
3) I don't see a "Droid Maxx" section here at XDA, so it appears that I would follow the "Ultra" section for development info?

Hope these don't seem to be stupid questions but I've had a rooted Dinc2 for a while and have used this site for everything and it has been great. Just some incredible minds and resources here. I just want to make sure I'm going to the right place and wanted some feedback on rooting it.

Thanks.
20th February 2014, 03:19 AM   |  #2  
BladeRunner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 156
 
576 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerndixie

I just purchased a new Droid Maxx and I'm finding it a bit confusing here at XDA. Per System Panel app (Because it's not listed in the "About Phone" section of the settings), I have model XT1080.

1) Is the "Droid Maxx" the same as "Droid Razr Maxx"?
2) This phone has been great out of the box (since bloatware can be disabled), so has rooting/custom ROM use been favorable for most?
3) I don't see a "Droid Maxx" section here at XDA, so it appears that I would follow the "Ultra" section for development info?

Hope these don't seem to be stupid questions but I've had a rooted Dinc2 for a while and have used this site for everything and it has been great. Just some incredible minds and resources here. I just want to make sure I'm going to the right place and wanted some feedback on rooting it.

Thanks.

1) Not the same

2 )I assume you have the consumer edition and not the Developer Edition. So no unlocking the bootloader. If you want root, do NOT upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat as there is no way to root 4.4 unless you rooted 4.2.2. No ROMs (we JUST received CM 11 for the Dev edition this evening)

3) Yes, the Maxx and the Ultra are essentially the same device
20th February 2014, 07:52 AM   |  #3  
mountaineerndixie's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 44
 
342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner

1) Not the same

2 )I assume you have the consumer edition and not the Developer Edition. So no unlocking the bootloader. If you want root, do NOT upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat as there is no way to root 4.4 unless you rooted 4.2.2. No ROMs (we JUST received CM 11 for the Dev edition this evening)

3) Yes, the Maxx and the Ultra are essentially the same device


Thanks so much for the info. I thought I had read somewhere that the XT1080 was a developer edition, so I'm glad you pointed that out.

And, since I updated to KK a couple days after I activated it, looks like I'm screwed for now as far as rooting......oh well, it's a great device as is.
Last edited by mountaineerndixie; 20th February 2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: adding comment
21st February 2014, 09:22 PM   |  #4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerndixie

Thanks so much for the info. I thought I had read somewhere that the XT1080 was a developer edition, so I'm glad you pointed that out.

And, since I updated to KK a couple days after I activated it, looks like I'm screwed for now as far as rooting......oh well, it's a great device as is.

Hey, I am shopping for a phone for my wife who is switching from the iphone. The battery life is a big deal for her, but I have also heard great things about this phone (call quality, good camera, etc). This thread answered a couple things for me, but only hinted at another. If I buy a new Droid Maxx will it me on 4.2 or 4.4? Sounds like the OP just got one with 4.2. Do I need to check before purchasing?

Secondly is it true you can eliminate bloatware with this phone? No TBU needed?

Thanks!
22nd February 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #5  
mountaineerndixie's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 44
 
342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
I've used only rooted phones since I learned it could be done but I'm seriously considering leaving this Maxx as is. Battery life is off the charts, although I still charge every night out of habit. I don't think I've gone below 50% in a 24 hour period yet and I play with my phone constantly.

I didn't get a look at which version it came with (4.2 I assume) but I got 2 updates almost back to back a day or so after I activated it, the second of which was K K 4.4. Most all bloatware can be disabled via Settings>Apps, so that was a great change for me coming from a GB Dinc2.

I'm sure I'll root it, eventually, out of boredom but it's been great so far. It's much larger than I imagined but that's just a plus for me. The only negative I have found is that it seems hard for me to find the "sweet spot" on the earpiece to hear callers clearly. Not sure if this is a low in-call volume issue or just me having to adjust to a new phone.

I would highly recommend this device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd February 2014, 05:30 AM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
38 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerndixie

I didn't get a look at which version it came with (4.2 I assume) but I got 2 updates almost back to back a day or so after I activated it, the second of which was K K 4.4. Most all bloatware can be disabled via Settings>Apps, so that was a great change for me coming from a GB Dinc2.

I'm sure I'll root it, eventually, out of boredom but it's been great so far. It's much larger than I imagined but that's just a plus for me. The only negative I have found is that it seems hard for me to find the "sweet spot" on the earpiece to hear callers clearly. Not sure if this is a low in-call volume issue or just me having to adjust to a new phone.

I would highly recommend this device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That all sounds good. I checked out Verizon's site and noticed that they say it comes with KK 4.4, but that might mean that it OTA's to 4.4 but actually ships with something they put on at the factory months ago. In any case I think this is the phone I am going with. Any weaknesses I should know about?
22nd February 2014, 06:03 AM   |  #7  
kcipopnevets's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Staten Island
Thanks Meter: 37
 
228 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by judson75

That all sounds good. I checked out Verizon's site and noticed that they say it comes with KK 4.4, but that might mean that it OTA's to 4.4 but actually ships with something they put on at the factory months ago. In any case I think this is the phone I am going with. Any weaknesses I should know about?

The phone should come with the 12.7.7 OTA which is still Jelly Bean. Weaknesses... None really. It's a powerful device. My only complaint is how bright the screen is at the lowest setting.
22nd February 2014, 02:43 PM   |  #8  
BladeRunner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 156
 
576 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerndixie

I've used only rooted phones since I learned it could be done but I'm seriously considering leaving this Maxx as is. Battery life is off the charts, although I still charge every night out of habit. I don't think I've gone below 50% in a 24 hour period yet and I play with my phone constantly.

I didn't get a look at which version it came with (4.2 I assume) but I got 2 updates almost back to back a day or so after I activated it, the second of which was K K 4.4. Most all bloatware can be disabled via Settings>Apps, so that was a great change for me coming from a GB Dinc2.

I'm sure I'll root it, eventually, out of boredom but it's been great so far. It's much larger than I imagined but that's just a plus for me. The only negative I have found is that it seems hard for me to find the "sweet spot" on the earpiece to hear callers clearly. Not sure if this is a low in-call volume issue or just me having to adjust to a new phone.

I would highly recommend this device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Unless you have the Dev edition you are sol on rooting if you took the ota to 4.4 without rooting first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
Last edited by BladeRunner; 22nd February 2014 at 03:04 PM.
23rd February 2014, 12:22 AM   |  #9  
mountaineerndixie's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Charleston, WV
Thanks Meter: 44
 
342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner

Unless you have the Dev edition you are sol on rooting if you took the ota to 4.4 without rooting first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

That's another thing....how would I know if I have the dev edition? I read online one place it says the 1080 is the dev edition, another site says it has to read "Dev Edition" on the back, etc.......
Last edited by mountaineerndixie; 23rd February 2014 at 12:26 AM.
23rd February 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #10  
BladeRunner's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 156
 
576 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerndixie

That's another thing....how would I know if I have the dev edition? I read online one place it says the 1080 is the dev edition, another site says it has to read "Dev Edition" on the back, etc.......

It says "Developer Edition" on the back

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes