5,606,297 Members 32,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Feeling robbed

Tip us?
 
wingdo
Old
#41  
wingdo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 320
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago
Can't imagine why you feel robbed. Our tablet is exactly the same as the new 12.2 aside from the screen size, USB 3.0 and USB port placement. Samsung has already announced 4.4 is headed our way, and honestly I never expected it to not get upgraded quickly.

If anyone should feel robbed it is the other "pro" owners as we got ours a couple months before everyone else.

Sent via Tapatalk and my thumbs.
Samsung Galaxy S4: Rooted de-bloated Stock 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014: Stock, rooted, bloat frozen
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: Stock, rooted, de-bloated

D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Samsung Galaxy S4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingdo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Fizzler73
Old
#42  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Dec 2010
I do not see how anyone can feel robbed unless you really wanted a larger screen. I guess the question that should be asked is did you get what you paid for originally? There is new tech nearly every month/quarter. I gave up on having the latest and greatest be the latest in greatest for much longer than a month or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizzler73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TranceChaos
Old
#43  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: May 2013
I felt robbed too when I saw the notepro at the store, so today I went out and bought it. Initially I liked it quite a bit, looks neat. Drawing is good on it, but for some reason I keep going back to the 10.1
Only plus side of 12.2 for me was having more room for drawing, but even then.. after a while it starts to feel cumbersome.
The magazineUX didn't do much for me either, looks great at first, then it feels gimmicky.
Even though the 10.1 has smaller screen, it feels better to look at it. Things appears sharper because the sub-pixels are closer, and I like reading text on it more.

So now I'm thinking of returning the 12.2, I really wanted to live with it, but gonna have to let it go.
The Following User Says Thank You to TranceChaos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Duly.noted
Old
#44  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 462
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceChaos View Post
I felt robbed too when I saw the notepro at the store, so today I went out and bought it. Initially I liked it quite a bit, looks neat. Drawing is good on it, but for some reason I keep going back to the 10.1
Only plus side of 12.2 for me was having more room for drawing, but even then.. after a while it starts to feel cumbersome.
The magazineUX didn't do much for me either, looks great at first, then it feels gimmicky.
Even though the 10.1 has smaller screen, it feels better to look at it. Things appears sharper because the sub-pixels are closer, and I like reading text on it more.

So now I'm thinking of returning the 12.2, I really wanted to live with it, but gonna have to let it go.
Reading text should be equally sharp on the two....both are produxing the same number of line in text (full 2560x1600) unless you are holding the note pro closer than about 18 inches there should be no difference in screen quality in black and white text.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
TranceChaos
Old
#45  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
Reading text should be equally sharp on the two....both are produxing the same number of line in text (full 2560x1600) unless you are holding the note pro closer than about 18 inches there should be no difference in screen quality in black and white text.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Yeah I tend to hold tablets close whenever I read. The dot pitch on 12.2 appears slightly bigger than the 10.1 (not sure if I'm using the correct term). They do have same amount of resolution, but 10.1 packs that same amount of resolution into a smaller area so that's why it appears sharper from the same reading distance. The sub-pixels are more noticeable on the 12.2 screen.. but maybe its because I'm just too used to looking at the 10.1 screen.
 
Duly.noted
Old
#46  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 462
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceChaos View Post
Yeah I tend to hold tablets close whenever I read. The dot pitch on 12.2 appears slightly bigger than the 10.1 (not sure if I'm using the correct term). They do have same amount of resolution, but 10.1 packs that same amount of resolution into a smaller area so that's why it appears sharper from the same reading distance. The sub-pixels are more noticeable on the 12.2 screen.. but maybe its because I'm just too used to looking at the 10.1 screen.
Oh probably the distance then. I usually lay mine across a leg or cradle in one arm.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app
 
BarryH_GEG
Old
#47  
BarryH_GEG's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3808
Posts: 8,227
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Spokane, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duly.noted View Post
Reading text should be equally sharp on the two....both are produxing the same number of line in text (full 2560x1600) unless you are holding the note pro closer than about 18 inches there should be no difference in screen quality in black and white text.
A number of reviewers have commented on the affect of the lower PPI...

The Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 has a 12.2" Super Clear LCD display at 2,560 x 1,600px of resolution. Like on the Note Pro 10.1, it's an RGBW display, meaning there are two sub-pixels per each pixel. That makes it easier to boost the brightness in a power-efficient manner (since the White pixel does exactly that), but it affects the look of the display. The pixel density is 247ppi, a bit lower than 10" tablets, which combined with the RGBW matrix results in a visible cross-hatch pattern.

It's nothing annoying and text remains sharp even with small fonts and the effect is only noticeable from up close - larger screens are viewed from a bigger distance in general and this is among the largest in the market. Anyway, it's exactly the larger-than-usual screen that makes the Note Pro 12.2 interesting and makes the multitasking so much more powerful.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...iew-1041p2.php
 
Duly.noted
Old
#48  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 83
Posts: 462
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
A number of reviewers have commented on the affect of the lower PPI...

The Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 has a 12.2" Super Clear LCD display at 2,560 x 1,600px of resolution. Like on the Note Pro 10.1, it's an RGBW display, meaning there are two sub-pixels per each pixel. That makes it easier to boost the brightness in a power-efficient manner (since the White pixel does exactly that), but it affects the look of the display. The pixel density is 247ppi, a bit lower than 10" tablets, which combined with the RGBW matrix results in a visible cross-hatch pattern.

It's nothing annoying and text remains sharp even with small fonts and the effect is only noticeable from up close - larger screens are viewed from a bigger distance in general and this is among the largest in the market. Anyway, it's exactly the larger-than-usual screen that makes the Note Pro 12.2 interesting and makes the multitasking so much more powerful.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...iew-1041p2.php
It is lower but unlike the ipad rgbw panels only need 2 subpixels to display a black line where rgb takes 3 taking that into account on purely black and white text the 12.2 actually handily beats out the ipad in screen resolution and density. Its like magic. But yes a little less dense than the 10.1 he needs to hold it a few more inches away for the visible difference to dissapear.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes