5,605,250 Members 38,449 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to root a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (SM-T217S)

Tip us?

Justin Buser
Old
(Last edited by Justin Buser; 8th February 2014 at 07:03 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [GUIDE] How to root a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (SM-T217S)

There are a couple other guides on here but they are mostly just links to videos or ad infested download links and none of them worked for me so this is how I ended up getting it to work. Everything I used is attached

For the more experienced readers it's simple, flash TWRP using Odin, boot into recovery and TWRP will prompt you to root.

For the only slightly experienced:

Boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device)
Unzip the TWRP Recovery Image after downloading it below.
Connect your tablet to your PC, unzip and run Odin, click the PDA button and select the TWRP md5 file you just unzipped.
Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery)

Once in TWRP if you select the reboot option under advanced you should be prompted to root your device if it's not already rooted. If that doesn't happen for some reason you can use adb to sideload the SuperSU zip I've attached, or put it on an sd card and find the flash zip from sdcard option in TWRP to flash it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Odin307.zip - [Click for QR Code] (456.2 KB, 506 views)
File Type: zip SuperSU-v1.93.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.15 MB, 689 views)
File Type: zip TWRP-2.6.3.0-recovery.tar.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.93 MB, 775 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Justin Buser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wsigo
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks Justin! Works great. Someone should sticky this.

Luckily I had a Windows computer I could use for this, but my main machine is a MacBook Pro. I wish someone would do a nice clear walkthrough like this one for using Heimdall on a Mac.

firedroidguy
Old
Thanks Meter 1
To start I have rooted many phones but am stumped on this tablet. After getting it to start with holding the volume down and power key it stops on the downloading screen. Once I can get it to reboot I held the volume up and power key and got into system recovery. If I am not mistaken I can boot from here also. Right??

Iams1002
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks it was very useful!

Chinaberry
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Will this trigger the Knox 0x1 problem? I just got this tablet and I want to be able to take it in to Sprint for repairs if I need to.

yort1992
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Buser View Post
There are a couple other guides on here but they are mostly just links to videos or ad infested download links and none of them worked for me so this is how I ended up getting it to work. Everything I used is attached

For the more experienced readers it's simple, flash TWRP using Odin, boot into recovery and TWRP will prompt you to root.

For the only slightly experienced:

Boot into Download Mode (Hold Vol Down +Power to turn on the Device)
Unzip the TWRP Recovery Image after downloading it below.
Connect your tablet to your PC, unzip and run Odin, click the PDA button and select the TWRP md5 file you just unzipped.
Begin holding the Volume Up button on your Tablet and hit the start button in Odin (this will ensure you reboot into the new recovery)

Once in TWRP if you select the reboot option under advanced you should be prompted to root your device if it's not already rooted. If that doesn't happen for some reason you can use adb to sideload the SuperSU zip I've attached, or put it on an sd card and find the flash zip from sdcard option in TWRP to flash it.
Thanks for the help! This is my first root I've done myself and it works like a charm. Now my next step is to flash it to any carrier. Does anyone know how to flash the sprint device to a different carrier? If anyone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

colt223
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Thanks for this. I finally got a couple Galaxy Tab 3's (One 210 and one 217) to upgrade my girls from their Kindle Fires.
Really needed this root to remove all the factory loaded crap.
Thanks.

slickdealers
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by colt223 View Post
Thanks for this. I finally got a couple Galaxy Tab 3's (One 210 and one 217) to upgrade my girls from their Kindle Fires.
Really needed this root to remove all the factory loaded crap.
Thanks.
I just recently got this tablet from a deal sprint had. What version was your tablet on before rooting? Right now mine is on 4.2.2, but there is an update out. I dont want to update if it wont work with this root.

colt223
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdealers View Post
I just recently got this tablet from a deal sprint had. What version was your tablet on before rooting? Right now mine is on 4.2.2, but there is an update out. I dont want to update if it wont work with this root.
I believe it was on 4.2.2 when I rooted. I will have to double-check that when I get home tonight.
What model number do you have? I had to use a different TWRP download for each one of mine, meaning I had to find a different one for the 210.
The Following User Says Thank You to colt223 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

slickdealers
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by colt223 View Post
I believe it was on 4.2.2 when I rooted. I will have to double-check that when I get home tonight.
What model number do you have? I had to use a different TWRP download for each one of mine, meaning I had to find a different one for the 210.
My model number is T217S. I tried to do some extra googling and came up with a post saying that the update after 4.2.2 installed KNOX on their tablet, which made their tablet come up with errors when trying to root. Based on your answer and what I found, I'm assuming I'm alright to give it a try. I do have one other question though. After rooting do you know if it would be possible to unroot incase I have to go back to Sprint with a problem?