Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 49,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

snes8x taken off Windows Store

Tip us?

waraukaeru
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Unhappy snes8x taken off Windows Store

I was trying to unpin snes8x tonight and I think I uninstalled it. At least, it is no longer among my installed programs.

I went to the store to try to download it and it is no where to be found. I'm so angry!

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en...f-405fb8eb9e25

There isn't a chance that un-pinning the app caused a check with the store, is there? That would be so messed up if it did. I hope I just accidentally uninstalled it.

BIade
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by waraukaeru View Post
I was trying to unpin snes8x tonight and I think I uninstalled it. At least, it is no longer among my installed programs.

I went to the store to try to download it and it is no where to be found. I'm so angry!

There isn't a chance that un-pinning the app caused a check with the store, is there? That would be so messed up if it did. I hope I just accidentally uninstalled it.
If you have a jailbroken device you could use the snes9x port from HERE

Cheers
Blade

waraukaeru
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIade View Post
If you have a jailbroken device you could use the snes9x port from HERE

Cheers
Blade
Sadly, I don't. I have a Surface 2 with Windows 8.1

I'm trying to find the snes8x's developer's website, but it doesn't seem like there is one. The Windows Phone version is still in the store, though I see they've changed their icon. Maybe the old icon was too similar to the Microsoft logo? (four colored squares in the snes colors).

domboy
Old
(Last edited by domboy; 3rd February 2014 at 04:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by waraukaeru View Post

I'm trying to find the snes8x's developer's website, but it doesn't seem like there is one. The Windows Phone version is still in the store, though I see they've changed their icon. Maybe the old icon was too similar to the Microsoft logo? (four colored squares in the snes colors).
Wow, that's really annoying, this is one of the few store applications I've actually used. It's also a good example of why I'm not a huge fan of the store model... a user has no recourse when something gets pulled, and no control over rolling back updates, etc. Now I'm really thankful for the snes9x port... especially if snes8x never comes back...

DizzyMizzy
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I think that the dev removed it because all of his apps are no longer in the store

waraukaeru
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyMizzy View Post
I think that the dev removed it because all of his apps are no longer in the store
That's sad. The Windows Phone version of snes8x is still on the marketplace, but I'm noticing now that they have different publishers. Are the two versions not associated?

waraukaeru
Old
(Last edited by waraukaeru; 13th February 2014 at 11:24 AM.) Reason: spelling
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
So, some further developments if anyone is interested:

Seems the original developer dropped the project but was nice enough to pass it on to another dev that revived the Windows Phone editions. I haven't yet found news on the Windows 8 edition being revived, but I found the source code:

Article:
http://www.wpcentral.com/snes8x-vba8...delisted-again

Source [win8/wp8] (snes8x, vba8x, vgbc8x):
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=631eb...Mcy8hX76lpiQaw

Also, I was delighted to discover that, on a Windows 8 PC (not RT, I tried this on a Surface Pro), it will permit you to download the app from the Windows Store if your account already "owns" it. Fortunately I had downloaded it before, so that worked for me! I am totally puzzled as to why it would allow me on the Surface Pro and not my RT. Puzzled and angered! If it is okay on the Pro, then it is an absolutely arbitrary restriction to block it on the RT. Evil.

I'm going to look into side-loading it on the RT. Forgive me for not researching this first, but am I correct that it is possible to side-load windows store apps on a non-jailbroken device? And... another assumption... that Windows Run-Time Apps use the same code on Windows 8 RT and Windows 8, so I could copy the files from the Pro and plop them on the RT? Maybe I'm way off-base here... Not expecting anyone to do the work for me... just kinda announcing my next plan of attack and would welcome any wisdom on the subject.

kdoul
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Could someone reupload them as they currently are? Are there any legal issues(with logos, names etc..)?
Since the source is a vs solution anyone could just create and upload app packages.

waraukaeru
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoul View Post
Could someone reupload them as they currently are? Are there any legal issues(with logos, names etc..)?
Since the source is a vs solution anyone could just create and upload app packages.
I think that is probably why the dev made the source available. He just doesn't want to pay for app publishing anymore. He'd probably welcome someone to republish the app (for free, since it would be shady to profit from his work). Of course, one should obtain direct permission from the author before republishing their work.

illidanx
Old
(Last edited by illidanx; 21st February 2014 at 11:11 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
I am the developer who continue the development of these emulators on windows phone. On windows store, some guy has republished VBA8 and VGBC8 for free. Oddly, no one bothers to republish Snes8x yet. If no one else do that I will compile the original source code and put it up on the store for everyone.

Edit: here is the link to the republished app. Enjoy.
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/ap...1-8d749500efb3

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to illidanx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]