5,604,050 Members 46,407 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is there a hotspot tethering app that still works after the 4.3 OTA update?

Tip us?

C1audia
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Amerson View Post
If you are stock and not rooted Foxfi does work perfectly. I have 2 note phones mine it rooted with custom rom my wife's is stock OTA and not rooted and Foxfi works on it. Also have S3 with OTA and it works perfectly on it too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I want to update and Root only.

Enviado de mi VZW Note 2 usando Tapatalk 2

scottguest11
Old
(Last edited by scottguest11; 25th January 2014 at 02:21 AM.) Reason: more info
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Amerson View Post
If you are stock and not rooted Foxfi does work perfectly. I have 2 note phones mine it rooted with custom rom my wife's is stock OTA and not rooted and Foxfi works on it. Also have S3 with OTA and it works perfectly on it too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
foxfi should work if your rooted or not as long as it is the stock 4.3. im running it on a rooted note2,stock note3,stock s4 mini.and rooted s4 and they all work great
The Following User Says Thank You to scottguest11 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rjbell4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Cannot recover

I attempted to replace framework-res.apk via Root Explorer, and now I'm hanging after the logo, like some others have reported (it could be that I set the permissions correctly, but the ownership is off?). I know that that means that I need put the original framework-res.apk back in place.

However, I'm having trouble getting superuser access to do that. I can connect via adb, but I found that somehow /system/xbin/su "lost" the setuid bits. Additionally, when I try to run it, it just hangs. I figured that was due to the permissions (I found the permissions AFTER I saw it hang).

I was able to find a method to copy /system/xbin/su back with the proper setuid permissions. But it still just hangs! And after a reboot, /system/xbin/su has lost the setuid bits again! The method I used leaves /system/xbin/super as basically an alternative su with still the right setuid bits, though, so that's an alternative. It's of no benefit, though, because "super" hangs, too.

Help! I'm lost here. Can anyone tell me what's going on here, and/or how to fix it? I don't want a brick.

TIA

donelam304
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I have foxfi as well and haven't rooted yet either on my note 3 and it works great. I have had the paid version of foxfi and pdanet for many years. I had a blackberry many years ago and had it to tether.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rjbell4
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbell4 View Post
I attempted to replace framework-res.apk via Root Explorer, and now I'm hanging after the logo, like some others have reported (it could be that I set the permissions correctly, but the ownership is off?). I know that that means that I need put the original framework-res.apk back in place.

However, I'm having trouble getting superuser access to do that. I can connect via adb, but I found that somehow /system/xbin/su "lost" the setuid bits. Additionally, when I try to run it, it just hangs. I figured that was due to the permissions (I found the permissions AFTER I saw it hang).

I was able to find a method to copy /system/xbin/su back with the proper setuid permissions. But it still just hangs! And after a reboot, /system/xbin/su has lost the setuid bits again! The method I used leaves /system/xbin/super as basically an alternative su with still the right setuid bits, though, so that's an alternative. It's of no benefit, though, because "super" hangs, too.
I was able to restore my phone by creating a custom getroot binary (from saferoot) that restores by framework-res.apk while running with superuser permissions.

meonline06
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just downloaded the PDANet+/Foxfi app in the Play Store and it is working perfectly. I'm running a VZW Samsung Galaxy Note II with the OTA 4.3 update rooted.

celticpride34
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just confirming that Foxfi works perfectly on 4.3 (verizon note 2) non-rooted. Only rarely would the connection get dropped but it seemed to circumvent the subscription checking fine, every time and was pretty fast. I'm assuming it would work on stock rooted as well.

Dancershrink
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Foxfi also works on stock rooted.

drumtrucker
Old
Thanks Meter 14
FoxFi fixed for 4.3... but warns about updating to 4.4