XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Impact on phone battery life?

Tip us?

AlexOB1
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_c81 View Post
Question: If you install something like "Watchify", and you use that to handle notifications for what is being currently handled by the Smart Extras in the list above, is it safe to remove "Smart Connect"?
If you remove Smart Connect I believe your watch will loose connection with your phone. At least that's what I found.

Try it for yourself though, easy enough to put back on.
Nexus 4 running CM11 Official Nightlies | HP Tochpad running CM10 (awaiting bluetooth to install CM10.1) | HTC Desire running 4.4 Chromium's Beanstalk | Nook Simple Touch running an Android version from the dark ages
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexOB1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chris_c81
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOB1 View Post
If you remove Smart Connect I believe your watch will loose connection with your phone. At least that's what I found.

Try it for yourself though, easy enough to put back on.
Yes I think you're right. Delving deeper in to third party apps it would seem they all use Smart Connect as a kind of vehicle between watch and phone.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_c81 View Post
Yes I think you're right. Delving deeper in to third party apps it would seem they all use Smart Connect as a kind of vehicle between watch and phone.

Wow. As I mentioned earlier, Smart Connect was hogging a good 20%+ battery. I have been monitoring it all day and I've been out at work on my mobile data during that time. Now I've been back home on WiFi only a couple of hours, Smart Connect has dropped right down to 5% battery usage! Would definitely seem as though while its using the mobile data to forward notifications it hits the battery harder then it does over WiFi.

That sort of makes sense as under normal circumstances mobile data, as it's constantly trying to find best signal, always hits the battery harder then WiFi which is generally pretty stable. So factor in Smart Connect and it makes sense.

I really need to see what my phones battery life would be like had I not been charging it on and off throughout the day. I'll try and start at 100% tomorrow morning and just let it run till I'm home and see what percentage it drops and how much of that drop was Smart Connect.

My phone is the Note II. Going forward battery capacity will be high on my priority prerequisite list for my next mobile phone.

AlexOB1
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I use 2x battery, to just turn on auto-sync/wifi/3g every 15 minutes, rather than having permanent push. Saves tonnes of power if you can content yourself with that.

It also has a SmartWatch extension which is nice.
Nexus 4 running CM11 Official Nightlies | HP Tochpad running CM10 (awaiting bluetooth to install CM10.1) | HTC Desire running 4.4 Chromium's Beanstalk | Nook Simple Touch running an Android version from the dark ages
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexOB1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

stopa10
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOB1 View Post
I use 2x battery, to just turn on auto-sync/wifi/3g every 15 minutes, rather than having permanent push. Saves tonnes of power if you can content yourself with that.

It also has a SmartWatch extension which is nice.
Yes, I also use 2x battery, and I can confirm this. In my opinion the best battery saver out there. And works nicely with the SW2.

Sent from my C6833 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

l5o2k1s
Old
Thanks Meter 0
nice trick that 2x battery, data always chews a lot of battery, but with the z ultra, that screen is a killer, alltough i put it on 20% brightness and still see ok, but since i got the SW2 it does drain faster, idk why is that, before i had this toy i could go a solid day listening to grooveshark and googling contantly, now i had to buy a magnetic dock to keep it going.Oh what we do for our gadgets )