Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 47,902 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Brand new to rooting and I have some questions.

Tip us?

nikalsaki
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Brand new to rooting and I have some questions.

So I used to have a Galaxy S3 and the charging port was jacked up so I was not able to hold a USB connection long enough to be able to root. But now I have an HTC One. I know I can't root yet because I have a Verizon One with 4.4.2. But I have a few questions before I'm even able to root.

Anyway, what is a recovery?

raghav kapur
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikalsaki View Post
So I used to have a Galaxy S3 and the charging port was jacked up so I was not able to hold a USB connection long enough to be able to root. But now I have an HTC One. I know I can't root yet because I have a Verizon One with 4.4.2. But I have a few questions before I'm even able to root.

Anyway, what is a recovery?
Look, a custom recovery like TWRP or Clockworkmod allows you to root, flash a custom rom, make a backup, restore the system image or wipe the phone. Every single phone has a stock recovery, but this doesn't allow you to do the features of a custom recovery as I mentioned above. The stock recovery only allows you to flash the official firmwares, provided that you have a matching model ID and carrier ID.

So, in basic terms, rooting requires a custom recovery. TWRP is the recommended recovery for HTC One