Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Please explain what porting is. I'm still confused after countless google searches.

Tip us?

johnq1216
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Please explain what porting is. I'm still confused after countless google searches.

I'm called for a job interview this Monday. They need someone to port some programs children play with on the web to Android. It's educational software that looks accessible to children.

My only experience with porting is working with Unity and going back and forth from PC to my Android phones. My problem is I don't know how porting is done exactly.

Let's say I want to port a Java program to Android. Do I have to create a layer of coding around the original Java source code and make it work with Android? Or is it just modifying the original source code to fit the new platform?

I searched multiple forums and countless google searches. I'm going insane. Please help me!

Thank you!

bellissimo75
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Well I guess it depends. Unless you are using a cross-platform framework (e.g. Xamarin), then it would involve re-writing the code in Java.

If you already have some Java back end code (e.g. some servlet implementation), then I would just create an interface to this module and leave it as it is. No point in rewriting working code in a language that already runs on Android (unless your one of these people who can't help themselves and has to refactor everything to death).