View Poll Results: What happened to the Gorilla Glass 3 on your Galaxy S4?
No screen protector and it's OK 74 46.25%
No screen protector but now it's scratched 16 10.00%
I don't know, it's always had a screen protector 67 41.88%
Other (post comment in thread) 3 1.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

[Discussion][Poll] Gorilla Glass 3 on the S4 Long Term Results

OP CafeKampuchia

1st February 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #41  
North Leb
Thanks Meter: 3

24 posts
8 Months old
Never used a screen protector and no scratches at all
Back cover is a mess though and the chrome bezel is already chipped and dented in many places
Overall, Not so good build quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to RaininHanoi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #42  
Thanks Meter: 2

58 posts
More
well, I had this complain about scratches on my screen while having gorilla glass. And my co worker (was working on product side of Sony) said that gorilla glass's only aim is keeping the screen without getting broken on major fails, being more resistant to impacts.

I used the phone without screen protector, didn't even put it to same pocket with keys or coins (duh) and it had scratches on it, it was easily noticed if you turn it like 45 degrees.

And a month later I dropped the phone on asphalt on left top corner, screen was safe but there was big bump (screen looks bumped up on that corner). So that was the real purpose of gorilla glass.

Only way to prevent scratches on screen is using screen protector.
The Following User Says Thank You to bonjurkes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #43  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 241

742 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjurkes

And my co worker (was working on product side of Sony) said that gorilla glass's only aim is keeping the screen without getting broken on major fails, being more resistant to impacts.

Perhaps, but scratch resistance is part of the solution. From Corning's website:
Quote:

Native Damage Resistance is a unique feature of Gorilla® Glass 3. Something Corning is able to provide due to a proprietary glass composition that is better able to resist the deep scratches that cause glass to break.

The Following User Says Thank You to CafeKampuchia For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #44  
Thanks Meter: 32

99 posts
More
Mine has 5-6 months and continues beeing good without any damage. I never used a screen protector in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Krahe8 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #45  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 13

45 posts
More
I've encountered dead pixels galore, but not a single scratch, and my phone is usually in the same pocket as my keys in my bag.... I think it's good enough for me... I just cant deal with screen protectors, hate all the bubbles they leave behind.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to alesa1988 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd February 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #46  
Thanks Meter: 31

218 posts
More
Bought it late june 2013. The only 2 things that give it away is the missing A from Samsung on the back plate and one tiny hit near the volume button.
I dont use any case or screen protector like i didnt on s3. Very satisfied with its quality build
The Following User Says Thank You to Meraklis56 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2014, 07:12 AM   |  #47  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 241

742 posts
I incorrectly stated that Corning's technology increases surface tension. I just read this quote from their website in this great article at Android Authority.

Quote:

Ion exchange is a chemical strengthening process where large ions are “stuffed” into the glass surface, creating a state of compression. Gorilla Glass is specially designed to maximize this behavior. The glass is placed in a hot bath of molten salt at a temperature of approximately 400°C. Smaller sodium ions leave the glass, and larger potassium ions from the salt bath replace them. These larger ions take up more room and are pressed together when the glass cools, producing a layer of compressive stress on the surface of the glass. Gorilla Glass’s special composition enables the potassium ions to diffuse far into the surface, creating high compressive stress deep into the glass. This layer of compression creates a surface that is more resistant to damage from everyday use.

It's amazing that this technology was created by accident!
22nd February 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #48  
Thanks Meter: 8

80 posts
Gorila glas two and tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia

Yes, there are lots of early threads discussing / complaining about the glass on the S4 already. Now that we've all had our S4s for several months now, what's the verdict? How significant of an improvement over Gorilla Glass 2 is it? Are you confident enough not to use a screen protector? Did you try not using one and scratch your screen? Tell us about it.

I always thought the gorilla glas 2 good until my htc one let me down no more trust say that this technology sony good

The Following User Says Thank You to genezilive For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Galaxy S 4 General by ThreadRank