Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,361 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HELP - Custom ROMs

Tip us?

WoWoX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default HELP - Custom ROMs

Hello - I have a simple question.
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-i535. I OTA updated from 4.1.2 to 4.3

I know that the bootloader cannot be unlocked, but can I flash custom ROMs that are 4.3 based? Perhaps that won't modify my bootloader?

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to WoWoX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoWoX View Post
Hello - I have a simple question.
I have a Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-i535. I OTA updated from 4.1.2 to 4.3

I know that the bootloader cannot be unlocked, but can I flash custom ROMs that are 4.3 based? Perhaps that won't modify my bootloader?

Thanks.
Short answer: yes. Long answer: read me and thank Badusername. You're only able to flash roms that explicitly state VRUCML1 or ML1 in the title.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WoWoX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
Short answer: yes. Long answer: read me and thank Badusername. You're only able to flash roms that explicitly state VRUCML1 or ML1 in the title.
Thank you very much for directing me to that thread -
One more question, do I NEED to use safestrap, or can I just flash VLRUCML1 ROMs regularly using Odin?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoWoX View Post
Thank you very much for directing me to that thread -
One more question, do I NEED to use safestrap, or can I just flash VLRUCML1 ROMs regularly using Odin?
Once on VRUCML1 touchwiz OTA, you have to use Safestrap if you want to use any custom roms-VRUCML1 TW 4.3 based only of course. Use the Saferoot thread to gain root access then go ahead and use Safestrap.

One additional tidbit. If you decide to go this route then you must flash the VRUCML1 kernel modules after each VRUCML1 rom that you flash in order to have working wifi. If you want working wifi, flash the VRUCML1 kernel modules after each clean flash. These are downloadable in the Safestrap thread.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]