help with buying

Search This thread
hey guys ive been looking for a new phone and this one seems to tick all the boxes but while looking for info on it ive found that there are a few different versions like f240 and l-04e and e980 and e986 and a few more lol, but im the sunny uk so im not sure if it will make a difference which one i buy? also does anyone have any suggestion where the best place to buy one of these phones from?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Neroga

Feb 7, 2012
Saint Cloud, Florida
I did a lot of research before buying my OGP, as well. Swell device and I am more than satisfied with it. We have a small development community, but just enough to give you a taste of just about everything.

Go for one of the E98X ones. The F variants seem to have an even smaller development community here on XDA. You'd have to rely on Chinese and Vietnamese sites which are dominantly stock-based ROMs.

Not sure where you'd get one as I got mine through AT&T.

Sent from my BAM 4.4 LG-E980

Reactions: robgee789

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
I just bought a near mint e980 on ebay for $270 USD. Even with shipping I doubt you can do better. Seller is wirelesshut2010.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3 running CM11 M2 using Tapatalk Pro.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

You could also wait until the swappa.com UK site has one available.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3 running CM11 M2 using Tapatalk Pro.

jhb019

Jun 14, 2012
London
has anyone got any ideas where the best place to buy one of these phones is? ive seen a place called simply electronics but im too sure if its a decent place or not

I'm also in the UK and I brought mine of ebay but now it is broken and the seller doesn't care. I would be very careful as the phone will obviously be an import so the warranty will not work in the UK. LG UK will not fix your phone, even if you pay for it. Many online shops, such as simply electronics, may take a long time to ship to you as they may have to get the device delivered from hong kong etc. Also, most of these online shops have none existent customer services and they won't reply if you have a problem. From looking at google shopping, there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UK who will help you if your phone breaks. However, if you do buy from shops such as simply electronics and value basket, you should eventually receive the product.

Why don't you get the LG G2? It is only £320 on Amazon UK.

channeledbymodem

Jan 14, 2013
New York
Google Pixel 6
I'm also in the UK and I brought mine of ebay but now it is broken and the seller doesn't care. I would be very careful as the phone will obviously be an import so the warranty will not work in the UK. LG UK will not fix your phone, even if you pay for it. Many online shops, such as simply electronics, may take a long time to ship to you as they may have to get the device delivered from hong kong etc. Also, most of these online shops have none existent customer services and they won't reply if you have a problem. From looking at google shopping, there doesn't seem to be anywhere in the UK who will help you if your phone breaks. However, if you do buy from shops such as simply electronics and value basket, you should eventually receive the product.

All this said, I think swappa.com may be the best place to buy a US model in the UK (if one ever comes up). Swappa is an XDA offshoot and they have a very good system for matching buyers with sellers at fair prices. I just sold a phone there for a little less than I paid for it to someone who didn't seem to know much about what he was buying but it all worked out fine. They do not charge sellers. Buyers pay a flat $10USD. Another advantage is the built in protections of PayPal. I would not hesitate to buy from Swappa, although their prices tend to be somewhat higher than ebay's due to the buyer fee and shipping included in the asking price.

A few (not most) US sellers will ship internationally.

Here's one: LG Optimus G Pro (Unlocked) For Sale - JCP297 - $400 > Swappa - http://is.gd/tLP8aL

F240s,said to be mint. With international shipping will probably cost more. Keep in mind that a locked AT&T e980 is now $370 direct from the carrier. Of course given UK prices this might still be less expensive than ordering locally.

Last edited:

jhb019

Jun 14, 2012
London
All this said, I think swappa.com may be the best place to buy a US model in the UK (if one ever comes up). Swappa is an XDA offshoot and they have a very good system for matching buyers with sellers at fair prices. I just sold a phone there for a little less than I paid for it to someone who didn't seem to know much about what he was buying but it all worked out fine. They do not charge sellers. Buyers pay a flat $10USD. Another advantage is the built in protections of PayPal. I would not hesitate to buy from Swappa, although their prices tend to be somewhat higher than ebay's due to the buyer fee and shipping included in the asking price.

Here's one: LG Optimus G Pro (Unlocked) For Sale - JCP297 - $400 > Swappa - http://is.gd/tLP8aL

F240s,said to be mint. With international shipping will probably cost more. Keep in mind that a locked AT&T e980 is now $370 direct from the carrier. Of course given UK prices this might still be less expensive than ordering locally.

The problem with paying with paypal is that in the uk, if the worst happens, you can get your credit card company (not debit card) to give you the money back, but you are paying paypal, not the seller directly, so you can have problems with getting your money back, especially if the seller is an individual, not a business.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did a lot of research before buying my OGP, as well. Swell device and I am more than satisfied with it. We have a small development community, but just enough to give you a taste of just about everything.

Go for one of the E98X ones. The F variants seem to have an even smaller development community here on XDA. You'd have to rely on Chinese and Vietnamese sites which are dominantly stock-based ROMs.

Not sure where you'd get one as I got mine through AT&T.

I don't really think so. Most ROMs say E980 (AT&T variant) but works on all E98X models (I think).

has anyone got any ideas where the best place to buy one of these phones is? ive seen a place called simply electronics but im too sure if its a decent place or not