Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,679 Members 40,353 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] Chacha kernel 2.6.35.14 by Tokafondo.

Tip us?

tokafondo
Old
(Last edited by tokafondo; 11th May 2014 at 10:03 PM.) Reason: things I forgot
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Exclamation [KERNEL] Chacha kernel 2.6.35.14 by Tokafondo.

Hello all. This is my own custom kernel.

I tailored it to work on stock roms.

I updated the sources (as my knowledge allows me to do it) up to 2.6.35.14.

I put there SWAP support (via a second partition on your SD card). You can enable it with Swapper2.

I also put init.d support. You *must* follow the step number 2 detailed in this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287540, as I already did step 1 for you.

EXT4 and NTFS support is there, too, in the case that you have a sdcard formatted in that file systems, but I haven't tested the NTFS features.

HTC Performance locks is disabled: you can underclock down to 19,2 khz if you want to.

Also, there are SmartAssV2 as default governor and Simple I/O as scheduler.

I hope I will soon be able to put undervolting there, or more CPU clocks for more choices of clock settings.

Comments, please, and enjoy!!

Edit:

You have to copy the files inside modules.zip to
Code:
/system/lib/modules
. Thanks to johan111 for pointing to this.
Attached Files
File Type: img bootv6initd.img - [Click for QR Code] (2.67 MB, 63 views)
File Type: zip modules.zip - [Click for QR Code] (246.0 KB, 30 views)

mohabmoka
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokafondo View Post
Hello all. This is my own custom kernel.

I tailored it to work on stock roms.

I updated the sources (as my knowledge allows me to do it) up to 2.6.35.14.

I put there SWAP support (via a second partition on your SD card). You can enable it with Swapper2.

I also put init.d support. You *must* follow the step number 2 detailed in this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2287540, as I already did step 1 for you.

EXT4 and NTFS support is there, too, in the case that you have a sdcard formatted in that file systems, but I haven't tested the NTFS features.

HTC Performance locks is disabled: you can underclock down to 19,2 khz if you want to.

Also, there are SmartAssV2 as default governor and Simple I/O as scheduler.

I hope I will soon be able to put undervolting there, or more CPU clocks for more choices of clock settings.

Comments, please, and enjoy!!

very very good mate ! , but how can i flash it? from fastboot or ? , and what about swap tested? on stock rom?

tokafondo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohabmoka View Post
very very good mate ! , but how can i flash it? from fastboot or ? , and what about swap tested? on stock rom?
Yes, you will have to flash it by using fastboot:

(remember to have a cwm backup just in case you want to reflash your original boot partition)

Code:
fastboot flash boot bootv6initd.img
Swap partition goes as second partition of SD card. Swapper2 will work to format it as 'swap' type.

ajeevlal
Old
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
hm, happy to see still chacha development is active....did anyone tested it?
Curr devices - Nexus 5 // HTC ChaCha S-OFF // ASUS TF300T // Minix X7
Old devices - Nexus 4, Acer ICONIA A100, HTC dual touch, ASUS P750, Moto A780, CX-01 TV box

My Work >>>>
-----------------------
[ROM] [4.2.2] [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 for ChaCha
[ROM] [S-OFF] ZaSa_4chacha
[GUIDE][S-ON] How to downgrade chacha to lower firmware version

swashie
Old
(Last edited by swashie; 27th February 2014 at 02:31 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 39
Default eager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeevlal View Post
hm, happy to see still chacha development is active....did anyone tested it?
I'm eager to try it but I just love your port man, I will get a new phone in march so I will have the time to test more things on my chacha

ajeevlal
Old
Thanks Meter 251

DONATE TO ME
hm i tried to build kitkat but it didnt work and it needs more knowledge than what i have.... and if we can keep the kernal up to date, may be some issues in custom rom might get fixed (HOPE)
Curr devices - Nexus 5 // HTC ChaCha S-OFF // ASUS TF300T // Minix X7
Old devices - Nexus 4, Acer ICONIA A100, HTC dual touch, ASUS P750, Moto A780, CX-01 TV box

My Work >>>>
-----------------------
[ROM] [4.2.2] [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 for ChaCha
[ROM] [S-OFF] ZaSa_4chacha
[GUIDE][S-ON] How to downgrade chacha to lower firmware version

swashie
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Default nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeevlal View Post
hm i tried to build kitkat but it didnt work and it needs more knowledge than what i have.... and if we can keep the kernal up to date, may be some issues in custom rom might get fixed (HOPE)
keep it up mate, kitkat cannot beat you! j/k Jelly Bean is already an amazing rom

mohabmoka
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by swashie View Post
keep it up mate, kitkat cannot beat you! j/k Jelly Bean is already an amazing rom
you could do it man !!

kronflux
Old
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
tokafondo, I haven't really taken a look at your kernel yet, but I recommend you take a look at the OWL project kernel, as well as Luzifer1984's forks. Might help you gain some insights into rom features and functionality for the future.
honestly, I'm really surprised nobody has forked OWL project's stuff and compiled all of it for the ChaCha yet. They even have an updated ClockworkMod, which if compiled correctly, should work with our device.
Seems their 10.1 roms are also stable, and most if not all features of the device work.

here's the link to their kernel: https://github.com/JDevs/OWL-Predator-KERNEL
and here's Luzifer's github page: https://github.com/Luzifer1984?tab=repositories
there's also Adlx's stuff, which has been very successful so far: https://github.com/adumont/htc-kernel-msm7227/

I'd really love to see a decent, fully stable, feature rich kernel with great battery life for the ChaCha.
As I said, I haven't tried yours out yet, but will definitely give it a look in the next few days!
Device: Google/LG Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
Rom: CyanogenMod 11 Official Nightly by CyanogenMod
Kernel: Chaos Kernel by neobuddy89
Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM by rootSU
-----------------------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter!
If you found my post helpful, please remember to hit the Thanks Button!
You could also buy me a coffee by clicking here:

tokafondo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronflux View Post
tokafondo, I haven't really taken a look at your kernel yet, but I recommend you take a look at the OWL project kernel, as well as Luzifer1984's forks. Might help you gain some insights into rom features and functionality for the future.
honestly, I'm really surprised nobody has forked OWL project's stuff and compiled all of it for the ChaCha yet. They even have an updated ClockworkMod, which if compiled correctly, should work with our device.
Seems their 10.1 roms are also stable, and most if not all features of the device work.

here's the link to their kernel: https://github.com/JDevs/OWL-Predator-KERNEL
and here's Luzifer's github page: https://github.com/Luzifer1984?tab=repositories
there's also Adlx's stuff, which has been very successful so far: https://github.com/adumont/htc-kernel-msm7227/

I'd really love to see a decent, fully stable, feature rich kernel with great battery life for the ChaCha.
As I said, I haven't tried yours out yet, but will definitely give it a look in the next few days!
Thanks. I'm not that into the trying to port or get things to be done in ChaCha for fun. I don't see the benefit of having the latest version of Android working just because I could be done. 2.3.5 and Sense does the trick and allows me to work with my phone.

I would like to have some external reports of success or failure with my kernel. I did it for myself but though others could also benefit from it -- if there is a benefit at all.

Tags
init.d, kernel, stock rom, swap